GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,410
3 members and 1,407 guests
aangelasuasd942, janesstexxda745

Old 08-01-2011, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I understand what you all are saying, it's just that I personally read "off campus" as suggesting that the colony is somehow "unofficial" or not really affiliated with the university. I'm sure that's not what was meant by the writer, I just hope that pnms who read the article don't get the wrong idea. The colony may be smaller and not have housing for the time being, but I am under the impression that it is otherwise intended to be comparable to the other sororities on campus (as opposed to being anti-sorority).

Last edited by glittergal1985; 08-01-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

This is where the bad writing becomes a problem. I read it as badly worded but meaning unhoused. Others may have read it as, like some of the NPHC sororities, city-based instead of campus based, while others thought it meant some variation of underground or unofficial and still others read it as the anti-Greek sorority. THIS is why Theta Phi should be getting press releases out so that they can start selling the new sorority in the way they want it sold. They can't depend on the newspaper to get the facts straight.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

hear, hear!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
This is where the bad writing becomes a problem. I read it as badly worded but meaning unhoused. Others may have read it as, like some of the NPHC sororities, city-based instead of campus based, while others thought it meant some variation of underground or unofficial and still others read it as the anti-Greek sorority. THIS is why Theta Phi should be getting press releases out so that they can start selling the new sorority in the way they want it sold. They can't depend on the newspaper to get the facts straight.
I definitely agree with you. The reporter dropped the ball in clarity. The first thing I would suggest is have a TPA officer or consultant write a letter to the editor to put their information out there. I was just on campus a few weeks ago and would never have known that a new sorority was coming to campus by looking. TPA needs to take it upon themselves to handle the PR. I would have thought that the Greek stores would already have Theta Phi merchandise in stock since they are coming this fall, but we didn't see any. Oddly enough, we actually saw two Sigma Kappa items and SK hasn't been there since 1994.

Less than 20% of the student body at IU is Greek, but there are more women who want to be Greek than there are bed spots in the existing chapters. I think Theta Phi's re-colonization will be a good thing. I am sure they will be successful and provide the Greek opportunity needed.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know what 2 colonies will be starting up at Arizona State this fall and which sorority is coming back in 5 years?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Is this a question or a riddle? If it's a riddle, do tell! With all the discussion about this school, I haven't heard anything beyond what's on here, that Sigma Kappa is recolonizing this fall. And good luck to them!
Old 08-07-2011, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
Does anyone know what 2 colonies will be starting up at Arizona State this fall and which sorority is coming back in 5 years?
Only one is starting this fall- Sigma Kappa. Kappa Delta gets to come back in two years as a stipulation of their punishment for hazing. AOII then comes on two years later.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Upsilon is coming to CNU! I'm not sure when they are colonizing, but they're the next fraternity on campus according to IFC
Old 08-08-2011, 08:26 AM

The Zeta Tau Alpha recolonization of its Arkansas State University chapter has been postponed due to housing issues.

Zeta Tau Alpha will reorganize their chapter at the University of Tennessee-Martin campus this fall.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

lanesig, what is the housing situation there? are chapters housed?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Wow! How did I miss this? This will be Sigma Kappa's second recolonization.
I thought that SK had sold the house to Pi Kapp. (AGD sold it to SK.)
Old 08-08-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
lanesig, what is the housing situation there? are chapters housed?
It's a bit of a story. Settle back, get some iced tea, and I'll tell you.

The sororities at Arkansas State have suites in University Hall. It's a 5-story dorm with each sorority given a floor and a suite on the north wing. The rest of the dorm is made up of sorority members or independents. There has been talk about building houses for the sororities. However, it has never went beyond the talking stage. (When the fraternities began to build houses in the mid-80s, the campus administration passed a rule that no Greek houses could be built that slept more than 24 members and that there could not be large kitchens, only kitchenettes. Basically, the admin still wanted the Greeks to use the campus cafeteria for meals. The rule hasn't changed and may or may not be a factor in the sororities building houses.)

Housing is what killed Zeta and Kappa Delta at ASU. In 1968, both Zeta and KD colonized (along with 2 fraternities in a push to grow Greek Life). At the time, there were only 4 suites for the existing sororities. Zeta and KD were each given small, 2 bedroom faculty houses about 1 1/2 blocks off campus and down a cul-de-sac. They were told that the other sororities would also be moving over to the cul-de-sac. However, the other sororities never did move and Zeta and KD suffered from "out of sight, out of mind". PNMs prefered the other 4 sororities that were in the middle of campus than the 2 that were off the beaten path. After Kappa Delta surrenderd its charter in 1986, the administration waited a year or two and finally built another suite in University Hall for Zeta, but it was too late, and Zeta closed in 1991.

I'm not sure what is going on with the current suites. Delta Zeta colonized and took the suite that Zeta had. Phi Mu closed in 2007, which would leave their suite open. Not sure if it is or if it is being used for other purposes.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 08-08-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling
Old 08-08-2011, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDAlum View Post
Wow! How did I miss this? This will be Sigma Kappa's second recolonization.
I thought that SK had sold the house to Pi Kapp. (AGD sold it to SK.)
SK sold its house at Indiana to Pi Kappa Phi.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
It's a bit of a story. Settle back, get some iced tea, and I'll tell you.

The sororities at Arkansas State have suites in University Hall. It's a 5-story dorm with each sorority given a floor and a suite on the north wing. The rest of the dorm is made up of sorority members or independents. There has been talk about building houses for the sororities. However, it has never went beyond the talking stage. (When the fraternities began to build houses in the mid-80s, the campus administration passed a rule that no Greek houses could be built that slept more than 24 members and that there could not be large kitchens, only kitchenettes. Basically, the admin still wanted the Greeks to use the campus cafeteria for meals. The rule hasn't changed and may or may not be a factor in the sororities building houses.)

Housing is what killed Zeta and Kappa Delta at ASU. In 1968, both Zeta and KD colonized (along with 2 fraternities in a push to grow Greek Life). At the time, there were only 4 suites for the existing sororities. Zeta and KD were each given small, 2 bedroom faculty houses about 1 1/2 blocks off campus and down a cul-de-sac. They were told that the other sororities would also be moving over to the cul-de-sac. However, the other sororities never did move and Zeta and KD suffered from "out of sight, out of mind". PNMs prefered the other 4 sororities that were in the middle of campus than the 2 that were off the beaten path. After Kappa Delta surrenderd its charter in 1986, the administration waited a year or two and finally built another suite in University Hall for Zeta, but it was too late, and Zeta closed in 1991.

I'm not sure what is going on with the current suites. Delta Zeta colonized and took the suite that Zeta had. Phi Mu closed in 2007, which would leave their suite open. Not sure if it is or if it is being used for other purposes.
An AOII friend of mine who is an ASU alumna went back for homecoming this past fall, and said that the sororities are planning to build houses. She said AOII did a presentation for their alumnae during homecoming weekend. She didn't say what type of houses these are to be, or what the timeline is. She said the sorority dorm is outdated, so rather than do substatial renovations the university is allowing sororities to build. I don't know if this is an actual plan or just a hopeful wish.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

thanks lanesig and irishpipes, it makes more sense now.