GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24

Old 08-02-2012, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Meeting members of other greek organizations

I couldn't think of a better title.

I asked this question on t_witter with no response

Which organization have you never met a member of? You know they exist but never met one in person. Or, maybe you didn't meet one until WAY after you became Greek yourself.

My coworker (a DST) had never met an SGRho until me. She's been a member for almost 4 years. I suppose that's common, especially if you didnt have SGRhos on your campus. My best friend didnt know any either growing up, and a handful of other coworkers over the years.

I didn't meet any Ques until after I became a member, ditto for Iotas. I saw a Zeta once on campus as an undergrad, didn't meet one until I graduated.

On the NPC side, well there's 26 of yall, so it would be easier to mention those I HAVE met. On the MCG side, I think all the major ones except Mu/Lambda Sigma Upsilon.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I have never knowingly (you never know some affiliations) met:

NPC
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Sigma Tau
Alpha Xi Delta
Delta Phi Epsilon
Delta Zeta
Phi Mu
Sigma Delta Tau
Theta Phi Alpha

Divine Nine:
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority
Iota Phi Theta Fraternity

IFC scares the crap out of me.
I have only met a Gamma Alpha Omega for a multicultural society.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-02-2012, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

eek, I've met less than I thought. I've met (or am currently friends with) sisters in Phi Sigma Sigma, Kappa Alpha Theta, Alpha Phi, Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Chi Omega, Chi Omega, Alpha Gamma Delta (shout out to AlwaysSAI!!!), and ADPi (duh ). I also have coworkers who are Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta.

Which means I've met no one from: Sigma Delta Tau, Delta Phi Epsilon, Pi Beta Phi, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Delta Delta Delta, Alpha Xi Delta, Sigma Kappa, Alpha Omicron Pi, Zeta Tau Alpha, Delta Zeta, Phi Mu, Kappa Delta, Sigma Sigma Sigma, Alpha Sigma Tau, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Alpha Epsilon Pi, and Theta Phi Alpha.

I "might" have met people from the above list in Junior League but people don't usually go "bragging" about their "greekness" (I on the other hand love wearing my letters because that is something I am extremely proud of).

Fraternity wise I've met Sigma Chi's, Kappa Sigma's and one more that I'm totally blanking on for the life of me.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-02-2012, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of ladies I met before they went greek (ie, I know a Theta Phi Alpha, but met her years before college. Still keep in touch, though)

However, I've never met any ladies from:
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Delta Gamma
Gamma Phi Beta
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Xi Delta
Alpha Sigma Tau
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Phi Sigma Sigma
Delta Phi Epsilon
Sigma Delta Tau

As far as IFC, I've only met men from Kappa Sigma, Pi Kappa Phi, Lambda Chi Alpha, Sigma Nu, Pi Kappa Alpha, Theta Xi, Sigma Phi Epsilon, and Kappa Alpha Order.

Of the Divine Nine, I've only met men from Alpha Phi Alpha and Kappa Alpha Psi.

No mcg that I am aware of.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I have not yet had the pleasure to (knowingly) meet members of these groups:

NPC
Gamma Phi Beta
Alpha Sigma Tau
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Theta Phi Alpha
Phi Sigma Sigma
Delta Phi Epsilon

(There were 15 chapters at my school when I was there, so that helps out a lot!)

NPHC
Iota Phi Theta

NIC
Not even going to try it, but let's just say that there were lots of chapters at my university. I probably met at least one person from most of them while I was in school because....I was in school, you know? People have classes and mixers and parties and stuff.

MGLO
I don't think that I'm aware of meeting anyone that was a part of a multicultural org, but that CAN'T be right.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Considering that I went to Alabama and have been a national officer in my GLO, I know people in a lot of NIC groups and all the NPC groups.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Considering that I went to Alabama and have been a national officer in my GLO, I know people in a lot of NIC groups and all the NPC groups.
As a national officer, how much face time do you have with other orgs? NPC or NPHC. Just wondering. If I recall correctly, one of my prophytes who was a regional officer was/is a part of Association of Fraternity Advisors (I could be making that up, but it sounds right) and she talks about how much she learns about greek life overall. Very much a "were so different yet we face all the same issues" sentiment.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Banned

I met members from all of the NPHC GLOs. I know some Sigma Chis, and Sigma Nus, but that's pretty much it for GLOs outside of the NPHC.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I couldn't even begin to list them. I have rarely met anybody from other NPC/NIC GLOs since college. I've met an Alpha Sigma Alpha and a Gamma Phi Beta. I've met a Kappa Sigma and a Beta Theta Pi. That's about it. Now NPHC? I've met people from each of the Divine 9. I've also met several SAIs.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
As a national officer, how much face time do you have with other orgs? NPC or NPHC. Just wondering. If I recall correctly, one of my prophytes who was a regional officer was/is a part of Association of Fraternity Advisors (I could be making that up, but it sounds right) and she talks about how much she learns about greek life overall. Very much a "were so different yet we face all the same issues" sentiment.
Well, at one point I was on the housing side. The insurance company that handles most NPC coverage (and handled all 26 groups at one time) holds an annual meeting that I have attended several times. Thus an opportunity to meet ones I had not met before. Same for those who attend conferences such as AFA, SEPC, etc.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Banned

NPC groups not represented by people I have met (that I know of!) are:
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Sigma Tau
Delta Gamma
Kappa Alpha Theta
Phi Mu
Theta Phi Alpha
Zeta Tau Alpha

Haven't met any members of NPHC groups yet

NIC/IFC groups I HAVE met:
Tau Kappa Epsilon
Delta Upsilon
Sigma Tau Gamma
Sigma Pi
Sigma Phi Epsilon
Alpha Kappa Lambda
Old 08-03-2012, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I haven't met people from a lot of orgs, but among people I know from GC, I have never met an Omega Delta Phi.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I am pretty sure I know members of all of the D9, and I think the only NPC groups I've not met in person are ZTA, Tri-Sigma, and AST.

I suppose I have the advantage of having attended a school with a very, very large number of chapters. Recruitment knocked off 19 NPC's in a single day!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I've probably met all the D9 too....
Old 08-05-2012, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

For NPC, I've met: Delta Zeta, Kappa Delta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Delta Gamma, and a few Alpha Phi's.
For IFC, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Phi Kappa Theta, Phi Kappa Psi, FIJI, and a few Delta Upsilons.
For NPHC, Phi Beta Sigma!
and MGCLO/NALFO... well. Nu Alpha Kappa, Lambda Theta Alpha, Lambda Theta Phi, Gamma Phi Epsilon, Beta Gamma Nu, Alpha Psi Rho, Alpha Phi Gamma, Delta Sigma Psi, Sigma Alpha Zeta, Gamma Rho Lambda, Sigma Lambda Gamma, Lambda Sigma Gamma, Gamma Zeta Alpha, Sigma Theta Psi, Sigma Lambda Beta, Alpha Pi Sigma, and but of COOOURSE, the lovely Upsilon Kappa Deltas!