GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,358
2 members and 2,356 guests
Cookiez17, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 02-22-2016, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
Hahahahaha! You don't like San Fran?
Nope. I tried, we tried...we chalked the first two years up to "just adjusting," but now we know it's not the place for us. If we didn't have amazing jobs that we'd like to stay at a couple more years, we'd be on the first plane back East.

I'm tired of stepping over human excrement and hypodermic needles on my way to work. I take the light rail to the office, and sometimes it just doesn't come! We live in a nice neighborhood, but I still hear people going through our trash at night trying to find bottles to deposit. It's very bothersome that there's all this incredible wealth here, and you literally have people sleeping on the street. Add to the fact that there aren't a ton of really great options for running and biking in the city (we have to go to the suburbs for that), and it's just a bad match altogether. I'm glad that the Mr. and I are on agreement on that.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-23-2016, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Nope. I tried, we tried...we chalked the first two years up to "just adjusting," but now we know it's not the place for us. If we didn't have amazing jobs that we'd like to stay at a couple more years, we'd be on the first plane back East.

I'm tired of stepping over human excrement and hypodermic needles on my way to work. I take the light rail to the office, and sometimes it just doesn't come! We live in a nice neighborhood, but I still hear people going through our trash at night trying to find bottles to deposit. It's very bothersome that there's all this incredible wealth here, and you literally have people sleeping on the street. Add to the fact that there aren't a ton of really great options for running and biking in the city (we have to go to the suburbs for that), and it's just a bad match altogether. I'm glad that the Mr. and I are on agreement on that.
I'd rather be in your shoes living there than in mine living here. In Michigan, this state is broke. My insurance is sky high compared to what it was in Nashville. Michigan has the highest insurance rates in the country.

Both Sade and I are afraid to buy bikes because 1. There are no bike paths. And 2. The folks here will hit you because they drive like shit. Too many of them drive without auto insurance, so they'll hit a biker and keep going. I've seen the driving here and have heard too many stories to not believe it. There's nothing to do here. I've taken folks advice and I explored different cities in Michigan, and all of them in my opinion are shitty -- Detroit, Flint and Lansing being the shittiest of them all.

The cool thing is Sade is down with doing whatever I decide to do. I'll definitely stay with FedEx, but I'm not living in this poor excuse of a state anymore. How do you have two major cities -- one with no healthy drinking water, and the other that went into bankruptcy, while at the same time excited about their carjacking problem going down to 1,700 something-odd carjackings a year? Wtf? I'm outta here at the first thing that comes along.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

The Eddie was a go today! ... and I was stuck at work.

So many people were live streaming the competition that the Internet was running slow on the entire island of Oahu. Wish I could have been there to see it in person! Hopefully it's not another 7 years until it happens again.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...mpetition-oahu

@~/~~~~
Old 02-26-2016, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm super nervous because the first grad school that I interviewed at/loved to pieces has started giving out decisions, and one of the girls I met at my interview day announced that she'll be going there in the fall. I know the decisions aren't all coming out at once but I really want to go there and now I'm wondering when I'll hear back.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I'm super nervous because the first grad school that I interviewed at/loved to pieces has started giving out decisions, and one of the girls I met at my interview day announced that she'll be going there in the fall. I know the decisions aren't all coming out at once but I really want to go there and now I'm wondering when I'll hear back.
Aww, waiting is the worst! Good luck!
Old 03-01-2016, 03:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'd rather be in your shoes living there than in mine living here. In Michigan, this state is broke. My insurance is sky high compared to what it was in Nashville. Michigan has the highest insurance rates in the country.

Both Sade and I are afraid to buy bikes because 1. There are no bike paths. And 2. The folks here will hit you because they drive like shit. Too many of them drive without auto insurance, so they'll hit a biker and keep going. I've seen the driving here and have heard too many stories to not believe it. There's nothing to do here. I've taken folks advice and I explored different cities in Michigan, and all of them in my opinion are shitty -- Detroit, Flint and Lansing being the shittiest of them all.

The cool thing is Sade is down with doing whatever I decide to do. I'll definitely stay with FedEx, but I'm not living in this poor excuse of a state anymore. How do you have two major cities -- one with no healthy drinking water, and the other that went into bankruptcy, while at the same time excited about their carjacking problem going down to 1,700 something-odd carjackings a year? Wtf? I'm outta here at the first thing that comes along.
What city do you live in? There are a lot of things to do and places to see in Michigan, as well as many safe, beautiful communities outside of Detroit or Flint.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I've already tried to convince him. It's a lost cause!!
Old 03-01-2016, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

With Michigan, I think it may depend on your interests, as well as where you were raised/lived. I say that because I didn't like Michigan, either, I just made the best of it. I'm sure there is a lot to there to do, there just was very little that I enjoyed.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 03-01-2016, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
What city do you live in? There are a lot of things to do and places to see in Michigan, as well as many safe, beautiful communities outside of Detroit or Flint.
I live in Jackson. I'm sure there is, but nothing that catches my interests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
With Michigan, I think it may depend on your interests, as well as where you were raised/lived. I say that because I didn't like Michigan, either, I just made the best of it. I'm sure there is a lot to there to do, there just was very little that I enjoyed.
Word!

How's Minnesota, CG?
Old 03-01-2016, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Oh, I'd rather be in California than Michigan too--but that doesn't mean that I don't like it. Rather, we're just trying to make the best of it.

1700 carjackings a year?
Old 03-02-2016, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Oh, I'd rather be in California than Michigan too--but that doesn't mean that I don't like it. Rather, we're just trying to make the best of it.

1700 carjackings a year?
You wouldn't like Michigan, Munchkin. I've read your posts, and just on some of the things I've read about you, you'd be bored here.

Lol yup. They bragged when it went down to 1607 carjackings a year. And don't get me started on how they'll shoot and kill you first, and then take your car. These folks out here are different, very different. I'm talking in a weird and an annoying way. No lie. You'd be like-- "wtf?"
Old 03-02-2016, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
These folks out here are different, very different. I'm talking in a weird and an annoying way. No lie. You'd be like-- "wtf?"
lol
Freaking hilarious! I am laughing so hard right now.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I live in Jackson. I'm sure there is, but nothing that catches my interests.
How's Minnesota, CG?
Despite the circumstances with my MIL being sick, everything is great. I never wanted to leave Minnesota. My plan was to move back after vet school, but I stayed in Michigan because my husband lived there. I'm very happy to be back in Minnesota. I love it here.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
lol
Freaking hilarious! I am laughing so hard right now.
Lol am I right though, CG? You know I'm right.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Lol am I right though, CG? You know I'm right.
lol
It's just that I didn't like how I would see the same people in the same places often. That was only because they'd think for some reason that since they see me at the same places I see them, they all of a sudden want to sit across from me and start a conversation. It was so annoying. That, and my clients. I don't see the same people in the same places here, and my clients are different. The U.S. is like 50 different countries and cultures in one.