GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 940
1 members and 939 guests
Titchou

Old 03-26-2004, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
W&L

I decided to just go ahead and post pix of all the sororities here:

The Entire Sorority Row

Houses, from L to R
Kappa Kappa Gamma

Kappa Delta

Pi Beta Phi

Kappa Alpha Theta

Chi Omega
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-26-2004, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
I decided to work on getting all the W&L fraternities. They're much harder to find.

Lambda Chi Alpha

Phi Kappa Psi
Front

Back

Sigma Nu
front

side

interior

Last edited by breathesgelatin; 03-26-2004 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZZ-kai-
The guys who tried to bring Beta back had really only a few very enthuastic people. It was pretty much a group of soccer guys and then when they heard the colonization fee they felt a little taken aback, but generally it was lack of energy. Your Nat'l rep was wonderful, some guy from Miami Ohio.

I think part of the problem was that the fraternities were all hurting for numbers pretty bad, so there was that annimosity, then the cause of the charter being pulled is so famous in campus legend that it might have had an effect, though I am not sure how much of an effect. Your alumni were great though. We aren't allowed kegs on campus and the Homecoming while they were tyring to recolonize these 40 yr old men tried to sneak a keg in, and totally got busted and had to talk to the dean! lol it was hilarious!! The house itself unfortuantly, the most beautiful in my opion, is in pretty bad shape. They might tear it down, or they are gonna have to spend a ton to get it back to living standards. Probably in worst shape anywhere on campus. Sill has the original wood work and tiles, etc. It really is a beautiful space though. Also sad that Beta wasn't able to recolonize.

Last edited by Little E; 03-28-2004 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
University of Utah Chi Omega

Alpha Chi Omega

Last edited by Jill1228; 03-28-2004 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
University of Utah

Beta Theta Pi

Sigma Chi

Sig Ep

ATO
Old 03-28-2004, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HBADPi
AH you took the words right out of my mouth! Its the one thing I still have not gotten use to since I moved out west 6 months ago and I'm not sure I'll ever get use to stucco. I love new england style houses with the brick and wood siding and NO spanish tiles.
Sadly bricks don't hold up in earthquackes....
Old 03-28-2004, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Lambda Chi Alpha

I hope this works!

These are different pictures from our International web site.

You will need to click on each School Chapter House!

Hope you enjoy!

http://lambdachi.org/properties/photos.asp

Also, dont know how to put individaul pictures up!

Jill, thanks for all of the Great Photos that you have gleened out and put on Site!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-28-2004, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG
I understand that, but I would think that there would still be some sort of regulation over what you can build and stuff. I understand that ours are all cookie cutter houses because they were all built together, but even as people have been adding houses, they have to get their plans approved and they have to look similar.

At USC there are five houses and one under construction that are Cunningham designs. Two were done by Treanor Architects, three by Brennan Associates, and I have no idea about the other four (Chi Psi, Sigma Nu, Kappa Sig, and SAE). The Cunningham houses are the ones that I would consider 'cookie cutter' since the insides of the five that are currently built are very similar inside. I think it has more to do with using the same architect (and same or similar plans) than having been built together.

USC does have an architectural review board, but the houses do not have to look similar. The outside appearance and building materials have to be approved by the committee, but the house guidelines do not require that they look similar.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Several of my chapter brothers (great friends) were advisors to the Beloit colony a few years back. I am actually close with a Beloit Beta too, he graduated in 1982 and sits on my chapters House Corp. board, and is a national rep. I am also very familiar with the group of national reps. who worked very hard to get our Chi chapter back on campus - it is a real shame it didn't work out, it would have been great to get Chi back and running.....

PS, it doesn't surpise me that those alumni did that, in the 70s and 80s, that chapter hazed and did drugs more than most chapters....those are probably the guys you are referring to. Just think, 20 years later, and they still don't friggen get it!!??

Quote:
Originally posted by Little E
The guys who tried to bring Beta back had really only a few very enthuastic people. It was pretty much a group of soccer guys and then when they heard the colonization fee they felt a little taken aback, but generally it was lack of energy. Your Nat'l rep was wonderful, some guy from Miami Ohio.

I think part of the problem was that the fraternities were all hurting for numbers pretty bad, so there was that annimosity, then the cause of the charter being pulled is so famous in campus legend that it might have had an effect, though I am not sure how much of an effect. Your alumni were great though. We aren't allowed kegs on campus and the Homecoming while they were tyring to recolonize these 40 yr old men tried to sneak a keg in, and totally got busted and had to talk to the dean! lol it was hilarious!! The house itself unfortuantly, the most beautiful in my opion, is in pretty bad shape. They might tear it down, or they are gonna have to spend a ton to get it back to living standards. Probably in worst shape anywhere on campus. Sill has the original wood work and tiles, etc. It really is a beautiful space though. Also sad that Beta wasn't able to recolonize.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PKTKKG
At USC there are five houses and one under construction that are Cunningham designs.
I didn't realize there are that many Greek Chapters at the University of Southern Colorado.

(Just another subtle appeal to NAME your college instead of using letters that could apply to a number of schools depending upon which region you live in)

USC to me is generally the University of Southern California.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
I didn't realize there are that many Greek Chapters at the University of Southern Colorado.

(Just another subtle appeal to NAME your college instead of using letters that could apply to a number of schools depending upon which region you live in)

USC to me is generally the University of Southern California.
Two things: 1, USC is University of South Carolina, and most people know that if any of us from the south say USC, it means Carolina. (Especially since it clearly says that she's from Columbia, SC)

2, The houses do go through a review board, and they do all look similar. So, maybe there's no guideline saying "yes, they must all have columns of this size and exactly 5 windows in front" or whatever, but just the fact that the building materials have to look alike means that they must look somewhat similar. Also, if we came to the board and said that we wanted to build a 1-story, brick house valued at $150,000, they would say a big heck no due to the fact that it wouldn't fit in with the rest of the village. This is what I consider to be houses that look similar, personally. Maybe your definition is different.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: having a sit sit while lusting after Olympic swimmers
Quote:
Two things: 1, USC is University of South Carolina, and most people know that if any of us from the south say USC, it means Carolina. (Especially since it clearly says that she's from Columbia, SC)

When I think of USC or when someone types USC i immediately think of University of Sourthern California... and I know lots of other people who immediately think that as well...

Delt Alum is just trying to rid GC of confusion, throw him a bone - just type out South Carolina! It makes it easier for people like me to distinguish which school i need to transfer to
Old 03-29-2004, 11:57 AM

Quote:
True, but some posters don't list where they are currently. And, some have probably even moved from California to Carolina.

Journalists use this rule: The first time, use the proper name of the institution and then use the letters afterward.

Here's something I've posted before, but does make the point, I think.

My wife and I live in Colorado and both graduated from O.U. Our son is a sophomore at O.U. Our daughter graduated from O.U. after attending U.N.C. for two years.

Translated:

My wife and I live in Colorado, but graduated from Ohio University. Our son is a sophomore at the University of Oklahoma. Our daughter graduated from Ohio University after spending two years at the University of Northern Colorado.

How could you have know that by looking at the fact that I live in Aurora, CO?
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
People can be from one area and go to school in another. And as a point of reference Univ. of Southern California's website is www.usc.edu. They were established in 1880 as University of Southern California. While Univ. of South Carolina was established in 1801, it was as South Carolina College. As far as people from the south saying USC, I know plenty of people from the south who went to USC-- as in southern Cal, so it should not be automatically assumed as DeltAlum so tactfully pointed out earlier.

Ex: most people call my university Long Beach State, but we're actually Cal State Long Beach. I can't even count the number of people that don't know it's the same place.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Two things: 1, USC is University of South Carolina, and most people know that if any of us from the south say USC, it means Carolina.
Not to stir the pot, BUT... "Carolina" to some people means NORTH CAROLINA!