GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,752
2 members and 1,750 guests
Cookiez17, Sen's Revenge

Old 10-07-2006, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Only Spring Fraternity Recruitment

The Dean of Student Life at my school as moved formal recruitment to the Spring semester. She sites poor GPA from New members across every fraternity on our campus. So, we will probably not be able to extend bids to any freshman until January. A majority of Greek men see that this will lead to a decrease in chapter size, as freshman will not see Greek Life as a great opportunity to enhance the college expeirence. I do know of schools that have spring recruitment but they also have a formal fall recuitment. I just need some feedback from other schools. Do you have spring recuitment? Does it work? Do you have JUST a Spring Recuitment? What is the schedule of events that occur during it? I will take any feedback!

Thanks,

Jay_Theta

Theta Chi Fraternity
Centenary College of Louisiana

"The best decision I ever made"
Old 10-26-2006, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to valmypal
It has been my experience that when a school has deferred recruitment (formal recruitment in the spring) then there is Continuous Open Bidding that occurs year round. We also have an informal fall recruitment but 1st semester freshmen are not eligible to join a fraternity or sorority until january. i don't know if it has hurt the numbers because i've never seen the campus with formal in the fall, but it is done to ensure academics and retention for the fraternity members.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:33 AM

Will your school have an informal recruitment in Fall for sophomores and transfer students? Check with the head of Greek Life.

Many people argue that freshmen will decide that they don't need to join GLOs if they can't pledge in Fall. Some will. In my view, the chapters on campus now have an entire semester to promote Greek Life and show the positive aspects of it. You have to make the effort to show that Greek Life can be a viable addition to college life.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-26-2006, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I am still out on defered rush as no real statistics seem to have been shown.

Agree somewhat on GPA, but, it is also up the the GLOs to make sure that there is enough time for PNMs to be able to study and keep the GPA up.

Defered rush also can give time to find other ways to spend time than with GLOs.

If it were an open rush for non Frosh only, well, it goes back to who will join if they are already in another type of system.

Remember, most of the new Frosh have no realization of what joining a GLO can do for them in the future.

My Alma Mater will not allow new Frosh to live in houses no matter what. That can always be a problem in itself.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-26-2006, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

At my college fraternity recruitment is spring of freshman year. I've not known it to be any different, so I can't compare it to fall-but the fraternities seem to do well enough. As previously said, the fraternities can show the benefits of Greek life all semester long. I also think that it gives the men an opportunity to find the group they really like, and vice versa.

the chapters at my school aren't very big, they range from 25-50 guys maybe. A few years ago they made recruitment "structured" for the men. They get to go around and hang out at the houses, but most guys already know which chapter they will be joining beforehand anyway. Oh and there is Theta Chi at my school too, they do very well and were always fun and good guys. One of my sisters is marrying one! I hope this helps.
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 10-27-2006, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Theta View Post
I just need some feedback from other schools. Do you have spring recuitment? Does it work? Do you have JUST a Spring Recuitment? What is the schedule of events that occur during it? I will take any feedback!
At The University of Kentucky, there are two "formal" IFC rushes - one in the fall and one in the spring. Both rushes are similarly structured in that they start the Monday before classes start (that Wednesday), and bids may not be extended or accepted until Thursday. The same guidelines and rules apply for both regarding length of parties (events), where they can be held, who may attend etc. It works well at UK. As such, and as weather permits, I would just suggest y'all have the same (or as similar as possible) events for spring rush as you did for fall rush.

I also whole heartedly agree with everyone that says you should check with your Greek Life Advisor to confirm if you are allowed to rush upperclassmen and transfers in the fall. Deferred IFC/NIC rush at many, if not most, schools is for freshman only and you should be able to rush informally upperclassmen and transfers in the fall.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school we have formal recruitment in the fall where the base of our membership comes from and where we take the majority of people for next year. Then we have spring rush which is informal where many fraternities don't take many people I belive that your school deferring rush a semester will cause numbers to drop.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:54 AM

Lehigh University switched their fraternities to deferred rush for freshmen. Fraternity membership actually went up 11%. Now, I agree that this is just at one campus, but I will offer the same argument that I have offered before: Deferred rush has not hurt SMU, Vanderbilt, nor apparently Lehigh.
Yes, some freshmen will decide that they don't need fraternity life. Those are probably the ones who were on the fence about joining a fraternity anyway. The ones who are deadset about joining a fraternity will still go through rush 2nd semester. And, there are guys out there who think that they would never join a fraternity who will change their minds and go through rush.

PS - Also, under deferred rush, all of Lehigh's sororities (with the exception of one) are at campus total.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 12-21-2006, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Lane Sig, your point is well taken.

I am not at the momement for Spring recritment as idea is still out.

Will a deffered recruitment as many profess or not. One Semester, will this let people find other things to join that are non greek and lower numbers.

I have also wondered with Frosh coming in and joining if there is to much presure to be overly involved and harm their GPAs.

If and only if the Greek system can survive a one semester moritorium can they recruit non frosh with a formal recruitment in the fall and then into the spring semester for first year students.

I guess once it is set up and everyone gets into a system it may work.

Remeber, the idea is to recruit and activate, not just to recruit and drop them.

LX Z # 1
Alumni