GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Kappa
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,235
1 members and 1,234 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-24-2005, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Kappa Chapter Houses

Ok, I am fairly new on here and I am not sure if this already has a thread...but lets put up some chapter houses! I couldn't for the life of me find a pic of our old house, but it doesn't matter anyway bc it's getting torn down. Here is a pic of our new house opening Fall 2006 on sorority row! Beta Psi, San Diego State

I personally think its the best looking of the other two houses going up for AXO and DG, but I am biased!

"You used Ghostbusters for evil!" - Liz Lemon
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-25-2005, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

wow, those are gorgeous! i really like the arches on "ours".

sadly, by my city's ordinance more than 8 girls living together is considered a brothel, so there are no sorority houses. also our college wasn't exactly considered "greek friendly" so we don't even have a row. there was some talk about the newest dormatories being greek housing, but they would have had to agree to it being dry housing (ie no alcohol) so the greeks passed.

i kind of regret not being able to have a beautiful house just for our chapter.. you girls that get to have a true home with sigma k are lucky.. then again i'm sure living with x # of girls can be crazy sometimes!
Old 06-25-2005, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
[i] but they would have had to agree to it being dry housing (ie no alcohol) so the greeks passed.[/B]
FYI...we are ABSOLUTELY not allowed to have alcohol on the premises at our old house or our new house. Not even in your car in the parking lot. Girls broke this from time to time, of course, but it is a big deal if they ever got caught (which they have.)

Old 06-25-2005, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmaK619
FYI...we are ABSOLUTELY not allowed to have alcohol on the premises at our old house or our new house. Not even in your car in the parking lot. Girls broke this from time to time, of course, but it is a big deal if they ever got caught (which they have.)
oh, i see. well i heard from the girls who were in my chapter before i joined that that was the reason the greeks as a whole passed on having the new dorms be their housing. i do know that the frats can have alcohol (supervised or whatever they do) and i guess it is probably because of that.. i guess frat parties just wouldn't be the same without a little (or a lot) of booze!
Old 06-25-2005, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Our house is not "official" per say b/c Long Beach doesn't allow houses to be within 2 miles of each other. Sigma Pi & Alpha Phi both have houses on the same street as Sigma Kappa but b/c we moved into that house after they did, we can't put our letters on the front. I know our Corp Board has been working on getting us a new house but Long Beach has a major shortage of appropriate housing so we wait but I enjoyed my time living there before I went alum. I have some great memories of living there. I'll dig out my pics & post some soon.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Just so everyone knows, that whole brothel thing is an urban legend. Lots of colleges think the law is there, but it isn't. St. Louis just got it's first sorority houses at University of Missouri, St. Louis (UMSL) and they looked into the matter.

Also check out Snopes.com
http://www.snopes.com/college/halls/brothel.asp

There are some zoning regulations that might prohibit sorority and fraternity houses. However, usually the school just prefers the lack of housing.

Bascially no one has ever found a law saying that more than X women living in a house equals a brothel.

*Kinda wishes SLU had houses, but I liked the all-Greek dorm and I like living with my friends, Sigma Kappas, other Greeks, or non-greeks
Old 06-25-2005, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

The cool thing with the new Sorority Houses at SDSU is that it looks like a regular house from the front, which it is, but if looked at it from the side it looks to be about half as deep as it should. Inside the house is a chapter room, kitchen, loft, a few bedrooms etc and when you walk out the back of the house is a courtyard and surrounding the courtyard are balconies of apartments. All of the apartments that overlook our courtyard are Sigma Kappa apts and only Sigma Kappas can live there (unless, of course we can't fill the space, but I don't really see that being a problem). Everything is key-card access, so only Sigma Kappas can access the Sigma Kappa areas of the apartment complex (AXO is right next door with the same set up, I think). That way you still get the sorority house feel, AND get your own space. I think it is really neat.

Originally all 9 chapters had signed on to the project, but one by one chapters backed out (and ADpi just left campus). I am not really sure why they backed out, I don't know why people would pass up on a new house. The houses at SDSU aren't historic or anything (except Alpha Phi). But, us and AXO had no choice bc we are getting re-zoned and torn down for the campus expansion. So right now its only SK, AXO and DG who are moving in, but they are building 5 houses, so I don't really get it. But I don't care, we are getting a new house! Our old one was brown and 70's looking from the outside so the chapter is really excited. Hopefully the PM's will be really excited and want to join our house bc its new (he he). I know it sounds silly but rush here is really cut-throat and we need all the help we can get.

What do you guys think? Do think girls will like the new houses with the apartment style or the old ones with all 40 girls living in one space?

Old 06-25-2005, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

This is the current Theta Rho house, I wish I had a better picture but its the best I've got...it isn't the house I was in though but its very similar.

Last edited by _Lisa_; 10-15-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

About the drinking and going dry that applied to Fraternities since they are allowed to have alcohol in their chapter houses

Per national policy no official sigma kappa living area (chapter house, suite, lodge) is permitted to have alcohol in possession by any member of the chapter. If you look under the housing section or risk management section of the National Policy handbook it outlines everything!!!---thought Id add as an FYI

PS: beautiful houses
Old 06-25-2005, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UFSigKap
Beta Tau House

I have no idea how to post pictures but here is a picture of the Beta Tau house at the University of Florida. Hopefully the link works, it goes to my webshots account.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...34396580nMyOkY

I know they were painting it a new color in time for recruitment. It is one of the older houses (in fact the entire house is already paid off) but it will always be home to me. It is on the corner lot of Sorority row.

Sigma Kappa Alumna

University of Florida

Last edited by UFSigKap; 06-25-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drolefille
Just so everyone knows, that whole brothel thing is an urban legend. Lots of colleges think the law is there, but it isn't. St. Louis just got it's first sorority houses at University of Missouri, St. Louis (UMSL) and they looked into the matter.
whoa, that's crazy! i had no idea... that reason is so firmly entrenched at our school that no one questions it. thanks for shedding light on the issue!
Old 06-26-2005, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Reading the Snoops website they had a comment about the university of chicago. A friend of mine was a student at Unv. of Chicago and was in a sorority there (in the late 1990's) and she studied some of their laws about sorority housing. What was discovered is that it was true that there were no sorority housing in chicago b/c many many years ago (like early 1900's) there was a sorority house fire at the University and a girl died. Her parents were large contributors to the university and the city of CHicago that they convinced the legislature that sorority housing was dangerous and a law was inacted (if you know anything about chicago politics you know a lot of $$ can go a long way!) well with U of Chicago being a division 1 school at the time the parents won and so there is no sorority housing for any university in the city limits... the law has since been changed but pricing is soooo high near campuses in the city that many dont have houses.

Thought I would share.. this urban legend was tryue (the brothel thing was not)
Old 06-26-2005, 11:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Crashing to post the ones in the Pacific NW area

I love this one at the University of Washington in Seattle (I drove by it and it is HUGE)...so is the photo...which is the reason for the edit

http://students.washington.edu/~panhell/sigmakhs.jpg

Washington State, Pullman

/end crash

Last edited by Jill1228; 06-26-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta Chapter, University of Illlinos

Last edited by winssay; 10-18-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

That house is absolutely beautiful! I'm so jealous!