GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,569
0 members and 1,569 guests
No Members online

Old 12-28-2011, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Was on line for Katz Deli in NYC and the guy behind me was an Alpha. We talked for a minute or so and he said he had been an alpha for 38 years.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Not exactly letters but I found out my formaly rabidly antigreek friend now wants to rush DTD at his school.
I used to think that way too, but it was primarily because I thought I could never get a bid. Then I decided to give it a shot...
Old 12-28-2011, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I must be watching too much TV. On "Cash Cab" a question was asked about which GLO had only one Greek letter and was related to the Nile River. The 3 guys in the cab got it right, Delta Delta Delta.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Saw a young lady with an Alpha Sigma Alpha sweatshirt at Target. She goes to nearby Coe College
Old 12-30-2011, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Drove behind another Alpha Phi on my way home from a play date this morning. I think she was from Appalachian.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Saw a girl in a local store wearing Phi Delta Chi letters. They were cute. I think it's a pre-pharmacy fraternity. There is a chapter at the local university.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I know it's a bit of a stretch but my husband and I were walking to lunch today and there are some concrete-based art in a neighborhood we passed. As we walked by he said, isn't that Tri Delta? He knows NOTHING about sororities by the way. It made me chuckle because I immediately thought of this thread.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw a women wearing a ZTA Alum shirt at our local minor league hockey game last night. She was a few sections away so I wasn't able to ask her what school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1228 View Post
Saw a young lady with an Alpha Sigma Alpha sweatshirt at Target. She goes to nearby Coe College
One of my friends is an ASA Alumna from Coe. She lives in Seattle now though.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Saw a guy wearing a Phi Mu Alpha hoodie at Target
Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
Saw a girl in a local store wearing Phi Delta Chi letters. They were cute. I think it's a pre-pharmacy fraternity. There is a chapter at the local university.
It's funny how chapters like Phi Delta Chi and Kappa Psi function. Both are technically co-ed professional pharmacy fraternities. Both used to have chapters at my alma mater, and both functioned as IFC social fraternities and didn't offer bids to women. Kappa Psi lost their charter a couple years after I graduated because of risk issues and just recently re-chartered... as what they were intended for, a co-ed professional fraternity for pharmacy majors. I have girls in the chapter I advise that are members. Phi Delta Chi at ONU still functions as a professional/social men-only fraternity for pharmD majors, though.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1228 View Post
Saw a guy wearing a Phi Mu Alpha hoodie at Target
Yay!

(Hey, we don't get as many sightings in this thread.)
Old 01-02-2012, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
It's funny how chapters like Phi Delta Chi and Kappa Psi function. Both are technically co-ed professional pharmacy fraternities. Both used to have chapters at my alma mater, and both functioned as IFC social fraternities and didn't offer bids to women. Kappa Psi lost their charter a couple years after I graduated because of risk issues and just recently re-chartered... as what they were intended for, a co-ed professional fraternity for pharmacy majors. I have girls in the chapter I advise that are members. Phi Delta Chi at ONU still functions as a professional/social men-only fraternity for pharmD majors, though.
Yeah, the more research I've done about it, the more surprised I've been. The chapter at the local university apparently does a week(s) of recruitment events, has formals, mixers, activity shirts--not sure about bigs/lils though. The school doesn't have any social (ie-NPC/IFC) orgs only professional. And, they do admit men but from what I can tell they are estrogen heavy.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

At department store in the mall two woman talking; one was a Zeta Tau Alpha and the other was a Pi Beta Phi.
Nurse wearing Delta Delta Delta letters at the hospital. I asked what school and she said that she was from Simpson College.
Kappa Alpha Theta at the mall.
Three Delta Gammas at the mall.
Woman wearing Kappa Alpha volleyball tourney shirt the gym.
Delta Sigma Theta license plate holder at the grocery store.
While taking offering to take pictures of women on the mall, I noticed that they they were doing the "sorority pose" and one said that she was a Gamma Phi Beta, from Cal St. Long Beach, I believe. It could have been Cal Poly or somewhere else near.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Picture - Sigma Alpha Iota cottage!

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/c...s_.single.html

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 01-02-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Kappa Psi lost their charter a couple years after I graduated because of risk issues and just recently re-chartered... as what they were intended for, a co-ed professional fraternity for pharmacy majors.
I'm not sure I'd say they were "intended" to be a co-ed professional fraternity for pharmacy members, as they didn't go co-ed until a few years before their centennial.

Groups like Kappa Psi are reminders that historically the distinction wasn't as much between social and professional fraternities but was more between general fraternities (those that admitted students from all areas of studies) and those fraternities that restricted membership to men in particular members of studies. Some of what are now professional fraternities originally functioned essentially as social fraternities -- not unlike Triangle, FarmHouse and Alpha Gamma Rho still do.