GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,012
0 members and 1,012 guests
No Members online

Old 09-20-2012, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Hazing as topic on Diane Rehm Show

The Diane Rehm Show did an episode on hazing this morning. Unfortunately, I can't find the tape/podcast version, but here's the link for the episode:

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/20...-done-about-it

The President of Cornell gave an interview on what they're trying to do with their Greek system.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Finally got a chance to listen to the podcast. I was glad to hear that the panel repeatedly talked about hazing as far more than a Greek problem and that they frequently acknowledged what Greek organizations are trying to do to combat hazing.

But what particularly interested me was the acknowledgment from at least some on the panel that hazing per se is "part of human nature" that is never going to be eradicated completely. The one psychologist (?) in particular said a number times that the challenge is not about eliminating everything that could be called hazing, but rather is about proper supervision and oversight to ensure elimination of anything that is potentially physically, mentally or emotionally demeaning or damaging, and especially to ensure removal of alcohol from the equation.

Last edited by MysticCat; 09-26-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

It was really well done. I'll be interested to see what the result of Cornell's efforts to end "pledging as we know it" will be.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

I listened to the whole thing the other day. The administrators kept bringing up the idea of simply eliminating the greek system altogether. Cornell's solution is not something I'm a fan of. Doing that basically makes us the same as Circle K. Hazing can be eradicated in an organization if you have the right kind of organizational culture. Also, it doesn't hurt to have trained alumni volunteers around.

As MC said, I agree that proper supervision and oversight and the removal of alcohol from the equation are what needs to happen. Our chapter at Oklahoma State has dry pledging now. I know that certainly wasn't the case in my day. They've always been a top-tier house at OSU, but now they're just incredible.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-26-2012, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Finally got a chance to listen to the podcast. I was glad to hear that the panel repeatedly talked about hazing as far more than a Greek problem and that they frequently acknowledged what Greek organizations are trying to do to combat hazing.

But what particularly interested me was the acknowledgment from at least some on the panel that hazing per se is "part of human nature" that is never going to be eradicated completely. The one psychologist (?) in particular said a number times that the challenge is not about eliminating everything that could be called hazing, but rather is about proper supervision and oversight to ensure elimination of anything that is potentially physically, mentally or emotionally demeaning or damaging, and especially to ensure removal of alcohol from the equation.
It's interesting that you posted this here today, as I just read this story this morning, about hazing/sexual abuse at a CA high school:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...-during-hazing

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/26/us/cal...ing/index.html

What's even more disturbing is that the soccer coach may have encouraged it.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-26-2012, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I listened to the whole thing the other day. The administrators kept bringing up the idea of simply eliminating the greek system altogether. Cornell's solution is not something I'm a fan of. Doing that basically makes us the same as Circle K. Hazing can be eradicated in an organization if you have the right kind of organizational culture. Also, it doesn't hurt to have trained alumni volunteers around.

As MC said, I agree that proper supervision and oversight and the removal of alcohol from the equation are what needs to happen.
Actually, I got the sense that's what they're talking about at Cornell, which hasn't really been decided yet. He kept saying "eliminating pledging as we know it." I took that to mean not eliminating pledging itself, but eliminating the correlation between pledging and hazing. We'll just have to see when they make their decision.

There was one thing I kept wishing someone would say: They rightfully talked about hazing in other groups, but when the suggestions of eliminatingt the Greek system came up, I really wanted someone to say "There's no reason to consider that unless we're also going to consider eliminating the athletic teams, the marching band . . . ."