GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 298,738
Threads: 114,168
Posts: 2,150,984
Welcome to our newest member, veascahvsy4553
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 PM
diamond_dreams diamond_dreams is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Beneath the daffodils
Posts: 4
Question Not your average PNM

Let me start out by saying that I've looked everywhere for the school I'll be attending on GC, but there's not any NPC information. I will also say that it's a small school, in the south, with approximately 3500-5000 students.

I've read that age is not as big of a factor at smaller schools. I hope this holds true. I'll be 24, when I go through recruitment. I'll be enrolling with enough credit hours to be a junior, but I know I'll be at the school for 2.5-3 years. I can say that I am involved in several community organizations, with one of them being a service sorority. I have a lot to give to any organization I join and I really, really want them to see that.

I have several friends who are Greek; however, they all rushed as either freshmen or though COB. They really don't know how to help me, but one of them showed me this site and here I am.

I have wondered about recs and if they would be appropriate for me. I don't want to send recs in and have the actives go "whoa, no way, she's too old for us" and cut me before I even have the chance to show them who I am.

Sorry for the novel, guys. This is just really important to me. I would apprecatiate any help that you can give me.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-02-2009, 04:44 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,823
Whether you'll receive a bid really depends on your school. There are some schools where anyone other than an 18 year old freshman is going to have a hard time, and there are others where it is not as big of a deal. You need to determine whether your school is one category or the other.

Also, all rec form does is tell the chapter a little about you. I don't believe a rec has your age on it. Even if it does, I'd still get recs, because they'll see how old you are in your recruitment application anyway.

I'd suggest getting to know sorority women who are in your classes and such and make friends with them. It won't guarantee you a bid, but at least you'll know someone in one of the chapters.

Also, people talk about grades and recs alot, and they're important. But they're just the standard things that most PNMs have. I think that more than anything, you need to have strong conversation skills and a great personality. A girl can look amazing on paper, but if she can't hold a conversation and present herself well, she is going to have a rough time.


__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-02-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Kansas City Kansas City is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 481
You do not have control over your age during recruitment so don't worry about it. Some chapters may cut you because of it (some likely won't) but that decision is out of your hands. Instead take control of the factors that will make you more desirable to chapters. It sounds like you have a great resume of involvement so make sure that that shows through on your recommendations. I didn't read anything in your OP about GPA so again, make sure that it is the best it can be.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-02-2009, 05:15 PM
violetpretty violetpretty is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A state with a North-South identity crisis
Posts: 3,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Also, people talk about grades and recs alot, and they're important. But they're just the standard things that most PNMs have. I think that more than anything, you need to have strong conversation skills and a great personality. A girl can look amazing on paper, but if she can't hold a conversation and present herself well, she is going to have a rough time.
True, we talk about grades and recs a lot on GC, because they are "foot in the door" type things. A socially awkward PNM who is stacked on paper isn't any better than a PNM with a great personality but terrible grades. A PNM needs to look good on paper AND have conversation skills/good personality match for the chapter.
__________________
Sigma Kappa
~*~ Beta Zeta ~*~
MARYLAND
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 PM
tlw23 tlw23 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 21
Honestly, at a small school at least, age is not that great of a factor.

For example:
1.)My Big sister is 23, she pledged as a 22 year old/transfer/junior in Spring 2008
2.) A girl we just accepted for our Spring 2009 pledge class is 24 and already has an associates degree, ALL of her pledge sisters are freshman but she is not seen as an outcast and fits in quite well.

As for recs I really don't see that you'd need them, at least at my school they were completely unheard of (small southern school, at most 8,000 people) or But I really wouldn't know, best thing to do would be to contact Panhellenic anyone else in the Greek Life department at your school.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 PM
GammaPhi88 GammaPhi88 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Due North
Posts: 398
I know that at some small schools, rush is less competitive, but I think it can be misleading to tell the OP that this is true at all small schools. The south, which is where the OP is rushing, is home to a number of smaller or small schools which have competitive rushes, such as Elon or Emory, which have under 5,500 students. Obviously some small southern schools do have less competitive rushes, but its not fair to generalize. Just wanted to point that out.

And to the OP: you have nothing to lose by deciding to rush. I would tell you to get recs even if they're not common...recs are not common at my own school, but we really appreciate them when we do receive them. Get your resume in check, brush up on your conversation skills, and put yourself out there in the best light you can.
__________________
I prefer to think of it as people caring loudly at me.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlw23 View Post
Honestly, at a small school at least, age is not that great of a factor.

For example:
1.)My Big sister is 23, she pledged as a 22 year old/transfer/junior in Spring 2008
2.) A girl we just accepted for our Spring 2009 pledge class is 24 and already has an associates degree, ALL of her pledge sisters are freshman but she is not seen as an outcast and fits in quite well.

As for recs I really don't see that you'd need them, at least at my school they were completely unheard of (small southern school, at most 8,000 people) or But I really wouldn't know, best thing to do would be to contact Panhellenic anyone else in the Greek Life department at your school.
I know you're trying to be helpful but:

Not all small schools are alike.

What is true at your school is not always true of others.

I know PLENTY of small schools in the South at which it would be very difficult for a 24 year old to get a bid.

So don't assume that because the sororities at your school regularly take 24 year olds, doesn't mean that hers will.

Also, you don't know her school, so you can't really tell her that she does not need recs.

diamond_dreams: I would get to know your particular school and determine if 24 year old upperclassmen regularly get bids.
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-02-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-02-2009, 09:30 PM
APhiAnna APhiAnna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I know PLENTY of small schools in the South at which it would be very difficult for a 24 year old to get a bid. [/B]
Heck, I know plenty of small schools NOT in the South where it would be very difficult for a 24 year old to get a bid as well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-02-2009, 10:41 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 14,976
if it is samford university, recruitment is competitive, most of the chapters are top award winners within their sorority and being 24 would probably work against you.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 PM
drgnlady drgnlady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South of a lake
Posts: 58
Another thing to consider is that if you can't find any NPC information maybe your future school doesn't have NPC chapters. I know Trinity here in TX has only local greek-letter organizations and you would have to dig a little harder to get information.
__________________
Sigma Kappa
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-03-2009, 06:39 PM
diamond_dreams diamond_dreams is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Beneath the daffodils
Posts: 4
To drgnlady- I know that the school does have NPC chapters, but for my own safety I will not say how many.

The Greek website for the school flat out sucks and offers minimal information. I haven't been able to find out much besides that they require a 2.5 GPA. Well, since I'm a transfer, what does that mean for me? Is the GPA from my old school the one I'll write down? As far as I know, I can't find a sheet that lists individual chapter GPA requirements.

Man, that old saying must be true. Anything worth having is hard work to get.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond_dreams View Post
To drgnlady- I know that the school does have NPC chapters, but for my own safety I will not say how many.

The Greek website for the school flat out sucks and offers minimal information. I haven't been able to find out much besides that they require a 2.5 GPA. Well, since I'm a transfer, what does that mean for me? Is the GPA from my old school the one I'll write down? As far as I know, I can't find a sheet that lists individual chapter GPA requirements.

Man, that old saying must be true. Anything worth having is hard work to get.
In terms of GPA, I'd talk to someone at Greek Life about whether you've even eligible for recruitment. I know that at some schools, transfers who don't have an established GPA at that school couldn't go through because well, technically their New School GPA = 0.00.

So defintely check that out.
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-07-2009, 07:10 PM
diamond_dreams diamond_dreams is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Beneath the daffodils
Posts: 4
New question

From what bits of info I can see, transfers are to use their GPA from their last school. Okay, that can be done. And holy cow, if I thought their NPC page was awful, I should have never tried the NHPC page. It hasn't been updated in almost 5 years!

I'm willing to admit that it is not any of the schools mentioned in this thread, thus far. I believe hardly anyone has ever heard of this school.

I'm also struggling with a really weird question, for those of you who have been on the recruiting side. I have a decent sized tattoo on my leg. If I wear a skirt, should I cover it up? I could go into detail and tell everyone how much it means to me, but seriously, I'm probably not going to be able to convey that to several rooms full of women who don't know my life story. I typically wear pants, but if I actually manage to get an invite to Pref Day, I don't wanna screw it up.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-07-2009, 10:27 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond_dreams View Post


I'm also struggling with a really weird question, for those of you who have been on the recruiting side. I have a decent sized tattoo on my leg. If I wear a skirt, should I cover it up? I could go into detail and tell everyone how much it means to me, but seriously, I'm probably not going to be able to convey that to several rooms full of women who don't know my life story. I typically wear pants, but if I actually manage to get an invite to Pref Day, I don't wanna screw it up.

I always say err on the side of caution and cover it up.
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-07-2009, 10:31 PM
DrPhil DrPhil is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond_dreams View Post
And holy cow, if I thought their NPC page was awful, I should have never tried the NHPC page. It hasn't been updated in almost 5 years!
What info were you looking for on the NPHC page if you are interested in an NPC sorority? Depending on the information provided and the status of the NPHC orgs on campus, there may be little need for them to regularly update the page.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Average Joe 2 AOTTAdvisor Entertainment 86 03-05-2004 08:58 AM
Average Joe needs.... RioLambdaAlum Entertainment 5 02-01-2004 11:10 PM
Average Joe ajuhdg Entertainment 56 01-07-2004 01:15 AM
All Man Average? GmuTeke Tau Kappa Epsilon 1 08-16-2001 01:51 AM
All Man Average? GmuTeke Academics 1 08-16-2001 01:38 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.