GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,423
0 members and 1,423 guests
No Members online

Old 04-19-2007, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
Geeky History Question

So, I was looking at the past presidents section on Kappa's website. (If you've never seen it, go look- it's really interesting!) I found a reference to "a vacation home for Kappas in Winter Park, Florida." It was apparently known as both The Clubhouse and later as Boyd Hearthstone. From what I gathered from the website, it may have been more of a retirement home or sifted purposes before it closed, as it was also called a retirement home on the website. From what I see there, I believe it opened in 1938 and was sold in 1962.

Does anyone have any further information about this place? Any pictures? Does anyone know if the building is still standing? I'm just a hop, skip, and a jump away so I could go see it.

Does anyone know if any other groups had anything similar?

I can just imagine this during recruitment- "And when you get old, you can retire in Kappa's retirement home in sunny Florida!" The thought makes me giggle.

Delta Epsilon chapter, at Rollins College, was chartered in 1932. Rollins is also located in Winter Park. I was just wondering if there might have been any connection between the two. Perhaps Winter Park was chosen because Rollins was right there and they thought area alumnae could be helpful? For a long time, it was the only chapter in Florida.

Reading the past presidents section, I've been amazed at how quirky of a history Kappa has. It's really fascinating!

I've just noticed this is post 600! Yay for me!

Last edited by sherbertlemons; 04-19-2007 at 09:29 PM. Reason: For an English teacher, I really can't write!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-20-2007, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

The house was torn down by the new owners, but there are pictures in both the 1976 and 2000 history books.

I don't know if any other individual GLO has or has had anything like this. However, in both history books, there is mention of a Panhellenic House in NY. It was originally open only to Panhellenic members, but in 1932, the name was changed to Beekman Tower and opened to the public. The hotel was sold in 1964.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

There are postcards out there on internet auction sites that have the photo of the home on them. It seems like a great idea to have a kappa retirement home or resort in Florida. I'd go!!
Old 04-20-2007, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
Thanks for the info. I'll have to hunt down a history book.

About when was it torn down? Shortly after it was sold by Kappa?
Old 04-21-2007, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I imagine so. I don't remember the history books mentioning that date.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm, if we could have a place in sunny Florida or a place on the Upper East Side to visit? HQ shouldn't have sold!