GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,620
0 members and 1,620 guests
No Members online

Old 01-03-2006, 12:44 PM

Abramoff pleads guilty...

"WASHINGTON - Lobbyist Jack Abramoff will plead guilty to federal charges in Washington and Miami, clearing the way for him to cooperate in a massive government investigation of influence peddling involving members of Congress, his lawyer and the Justice Department said Tuesday."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10692635/
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Banned

Should I make a comment about you making an incorrect thread titled (pleads as opposed to "to plead")? Eh, probably not worth it.

Nobody predicts the future and innocent until guilty, yada yada yada.

-Rudey
Old 01-03-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Should I make a comment about you making an incorrect thread titled (pleads as opposed to "to plead")? Eh, probably not worth it.

Nobody predicts the future and innocent until guilty, yada yada yada.

-Rudey
Actually, according to MSNBC, he has entered a guilty plea. That's where I got the info for the headline. My guess is that the website changed the headline before they changed the copy of the story which is quoted above.

Check the link. The copy has now been changed as well.

edited because I think I invented a word in my original post here.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 01-03-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Banned

If he really has so much damning info, why wouldn't he plead guilty without divulging anything and then get the President to absolve it?

Clinton did that.

It's every President's right to hide the truth.

-Rudey
Old 01-03-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
If he really has so much damning info, why wouldn't he plead guilty without divulging anything and then get the President to absolve it?
And save the real dirt for the book?
Old 01-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
And save the real dirt for the book?
No. Just wait until the next administration to be made an ambassador to some exotic country as a show of thanks.

-Rudey
--It's the American way.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, everything I have read, Abramhoff Plead Guilty for a Deal.

He may get up to 30 Years, yea right.

i hope He fingers a Ton of These Parasites who prey on Citizens that They are Supposed to Represent instead of their own Self Interests!

Being a Legislature has become a Vocation, ask Ted Kennedy!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-03-2006, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
An article Yahoo expects him to drag down a number of members of the GOP and even some Democrats with him. It even said "..analysts are already comparing its damage potential to the 1992 House banking scandal that led to the retirement or ouster of 77 lawmakers."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060103/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
Old 01-04-2006, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

More at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...202158_pf.html

washingtonpost.com
Democrats Also Got Tribal Donations
Abramoff Issue's Fallout May Extend Beyond the GOP

By Jeffrey H. Birnbaum and Derek Willis
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, June 3, 2005; A01

Lobbyist Jack Abramoff and an associate famously collected $82 million in lobbying and public relations fees from six Indian tribes and devoted a lot of their time to trying to persuade Republican lawmakers to act on their clients' behalf.

But Abramoff didn't work just with Republicans. He oversaw a team of two dozen lobbyists at the law firm Greenberg Traurig that included many Democrats. Moreover, the campaign contributions that Abramoff directed from the tribes went to Democratic as well as Republican legislators.

Among the biggest beneficiaries were Capitol Hill's most powerful Democrats, including Thomas A. Daschle (S.D.) and Harry M. Reid (Nev.), the top two Senate Democrats at the time, Richard A. Gephardt (Mo.), then-leader of the House Democrats, and the two lawmakers in charge of raising funds for their Democratic colleagues in both chambers, according to a Washington Post study. Reid succeeded Daschle as Democratic leader after Daschle lost his Senate seat last November.

Democrats are hoping to gain political advantage from federal and Senate investigations of Abramoff's activities and from the embattled lobbyist's former ties to House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Tex.). Yet, many Democratic lawmakers also benefited from Abramoff's political operation, a fact that could hinder the Democrats' efforts to turn the lobbyist's troubles into a winning partisan issue....

... Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy (D-R.I.) ran second, with $128,000 in the same period. From 1999 to 2001, Kennedy chaired the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which solicited campaign donations for House candidates.

The Indians' largess flowed to higher-ranking Democrats as well. Senate Democratic leaders Reid and Daschle each received more than $40,000 from the tribes and from lobbyists on Abramoff's team during the period. Gephardt got $32,500.

Of the 18 largest recipients of tribe contributions directed by Abramoff's group, six, or one-third, were Democrats. These included Sen. Patty Murray (Wash.), who chaired the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee from 2001 to 2002, and Sen. Byron L. Dorgan (N.D.), a leader in Indian affairs legislation.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Jack abram OFF is So Sorry that He did what He did!

This guy knew exactly what He was doing and Played the friggen game of buying and selling!

So, Lets let Him Spill His Guts about Those that took the money and gratuities and went along their merry way!

I am tired of Peddlers of My Rights who do this.

Clean The Legislature of Scum Bags and Puss Sacks who prey on Us as Citizens.

Amazing who are giving money back so quick! Tells You something does it not?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-04-2006, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp

I am tired of Peddlers of My Rights who do this.

Clean The Legislature of Scum Bags and Puss Sacks who prey on Us as Citizens.

Unfortunately, we tend to re-elect those who 'bring home the bacon' from Washington (new highways, bridges, band uniforms, farm subsidies, etc.), and they get more bacon if the 'go along' with the leaders.

Out of 450+ representatives, only 30 or 40 will have serious and well-funded oposition, and probably most of those 30 - 40 will win.

We're in a hell of a mess.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
By Jeffrey H. Birnbaum and Derek Willis
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, June 3, 2005

But Abramoff didn't work just with Republicans. He oversaw a team of two dozen lobbyists at the law firm Greenberg Traurig that included many Democrats. Moreover, the campaign contributions that Abramoff directed from the tribes went to Democratic as well as Republican legislators.
So, is The Washington Post now part of the "Media Wing of the Republican Party?"

Just wondering.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
Of the 18 largest recipients of tribe contributions directed by Abramoff's group, six, or one-third, were Democrats. [/B]
Thats something for the GOP to be proud about. Only 2/3 was Republicans. The Democrats are doomed!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
So, is The Washington Post now part of the "Media Wing of the Republican Party?"

Just wondering.
I think they tried to slip this by on a slow summer Friday.

It's like the Sunday talk shows. They'll have one conservative and four libs, and contend they're balanced.

The 50 lefty WashPost stories are not balanced by one righty.

At least they did one, though.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by The1calledTKE
Thats something for the GOP to be proud about. Only 2/3 was Republicans. The Democrats are doomed!
Umm...Daschle...Reid? These aren't just any Democrats.

Personally I will trade any Republican out of office for the bitches from CA to be removed so I hope their names are there.

-Rudey