GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 745
3 members and 742 guests
naraht, Titchou

Old 08-02-2000, 07:38 PM
mel2004

Question We're trying to start a sorority

Hello all,

Me and about 60 other girl would like to add a chapter of any soroirty to Texas A&M at Galveston camapus. We need some resources to consult with on making these decisions on how to get it started. YOu may email them to me at shermel2@hotmail.com Thanx
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-02-2000, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello. First of all congratulations on having such a great interest group. If you are Engineering majors, please email me! We are in the process of a massive expansion program and Texas A&M is on the priority list. I have tons of information on how to start a colony/chapter of Alpha Omega Epsilon for those that are interested.
email me at: nebvp@aoesorority.org
Old 08-02-2000, 10:56 PM
Tiggerlvr4U@hotmail.com

Talking

I strongly suggest that if you are looking for a sorority that builds lasting bonds, through the ideals of service, equality, and freindship that you consider starting a colony for Gamma Sigma Sigma.If you want more information contact me at Tiggerlvr4U@hotmail.com
Old 08-02-2000, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
My best advice is you determine what you all are interested in first. Do some research...don't just say you want to be in ANY sorority. WHY????? Look for a common thread. There is sooooooo much more to the experience of Sorority life...no 2 organizations or chapters for that matter the same.

One council of sororities and fraternities I invite you to research is located at:
www.NPHC.org

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 08-02-2000, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey, we're trying to start a sorority at Towson University in Towson MD. Maybe if you just wanted a sounding board, we could bounce ideas off of each other. email me if you want- LeighaX@aol.com
Old 08-03-2000, 12:58 AM
BelovedIvy

Lightbulb

I would first like to tell you and take this back to the group of other young ladies,
IF YOU DON'T STAND FOR SOMETHING YOU'LL FALL
FOR ANYTHING! Have a common purpose and figure out what you all are trying to accomplish. Regardless of what decision you make. PLEASE take heed to this saying that I tell anyone interested in greeklife.
YOU MAKE THE LETTERS, DON'T LET THE LETTERS MAKE YOU. If you don't understand it now, it will come in due time.
Hope all goes well.

Old 08-03-2000, 12:59 AM

STEP 1- Contact you Greek Life office and ask them if they're interested in having another on campus. With 60 girls it certainly sounds as if there's a need

STEP 2- Contact the National Office of which ever type of sorority your looking into and ask their policies.

STEP 3- Work your ass off. Keep your eyes on the prize.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 08-03-2000, 01:02 AM
IVY1

Lightbulb

I would first like to tell you and take this back to the group of other young ladies,
IF YOU DON'T STAND FOR SOMETHING YOU'LL FALL
FOR ANYTHING! Have a common purpose and figure out what you all are trying to accomplish. Regardless of what decision you make. PLEASE take heed to this saying that I tell anyone interested in greeklife.
YOU MAKE THE LETTERS, DON'T LET THE LETTERS MAKE YOU. If you don't understand it now, it will come in due time.
Hope all goes well.

Old 08-03-2000, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

hi mel-
that is so wonderful! I wish you the best of luck. Here are some thoughts:

- Isn't A&M-Galveston a graduate school only? with that in mind, realize that not many (if any) of the NPC groups will extend a charter or colonize without the traditional undergraduate Greek infrastructure in place. I believe that NPHC groups DO have alumnae chapters or metro chapters? maybe a sister of an NPHC org. can help here...

- Is there a Student Life or Greek Life body there? if so, you should talk to them - they are sure to have lots of resources and suggestions.

- Think about your resources up the road. Maybe the Greek Life office at TAMU-College Station can help, or maybe one of the national or local sororities at Univ. of Houston or Houston Baptist University can offer some input. If you colonized as one of those groups, they could come down and assist with your founding, rush procedures, etc.!

- Just because you might not be able to be a national chapter doesn't mean that you can't still create a wonderful club with long-standing traditions and true sisterhood. Think about how cool it will be to charter the first sorority on the campus, no matter what kind it is.

You should sit down with your interest group and decide how you feel about all the different aspects of sorority life, and develop a plan for how you want your club to be.

Where is localsororities? I bet she has TONS of great suggestions.

[This message has been edited by Texas Alum (edited August 03, 2000).]
Old 08-03-2000, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
mel2004,

I think it's awesome you and your friends are taking this initiative! This brings back memories of founding my chapter (exciting, isn't it!). My suggestion: do lots of research. Make sure you know why you want to begin a sorority, what you (as a group) value and take an interest in. Then look for a sorority that matches your ideals and goals.

Feel free to email me if you're interested on some more perspective! And best of luck to you all.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies