GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 965
2 members and 963 guests
indygphib
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

What is a Sorority Girl?

Good Morning Ladies

I am a young lady who doesnt have any affilation with any greek organizations but I have been thinking that I will look at the benefits of joining such an organization. At school I am actively involved with my Student Government Asociation, my Residence Hall Association and I have served on the board of the Community Action Network which puts together the camous wide community service events that the school does twice a year... My GPA is above average And I have always tried to go and support any event that a greek org does.

I guess what I wanna know is there a certain type of woman or girl that makes up a sorority girl? Can any Tammy, Diane and Harriet off the street become a sorority girl? I know that for every org some peceptions may be different... (which is why I am asking this question of every NPHC org that is at my school)...

If there is a better way for me to ask this kinda of question than on a message board, please let me know...

Thank You for your time

Chanel...
Old 12-30-2005, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

"Good Weed, Good Drank, Big Money Man... Rolling in something foreign on leather grippin grain; I handlemy bidness so I think I deserve to get throwed..."

Old 12-30-2005, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to btb87 Send a message via Yahoo to btb87
Quote:
Originally posted by Bamboozled
"Good Weed, Good Drank, Big Money Man... Rolling in something foreign on leather grippin grain; I handlemy bidness so I think I deserve to get throwed..."

Soror, I was thinking the same thing. . .

Ugh.

Chanel, you said something in your post about perceptions - funny you would mention that. If you notice the reaction that my Soror and I had to your signature, then you know that perceptions are very important.

I hope someone can give you some deeper insight in regards to your question.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Quote:
Originally posted by Bamboozled

Chanel, you seem to have a lot of good things going on for you. Please change your signature.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Chanel,

As humans, we are very complex beings. Although I am continuously striving toward social and political awareness, I still have fun, party, etc. Like me, you are active on your campus, but you enjoy the music of UGK. If some people were to judge you solely on the lyrics in your sig, they may look at you differently than they would from knowing about your extra-curricular activities. I've said all this to say, you should seek out sorority membership in an organization which you believes best fits with the complete "you"; not just the UGK-loving "you", but the RA "you" as well.

Sorority women do not exist on a monolith. To ask the question about types of sorority women is the same as asking about types of Black people, or types of brunettes. Sorority membership does not create a mold for womenhood. Therefore, you must realize that there are many facets of the sorority woman.

In every NPHC sorority, there are a great variety of women. We are alike in many ways, but it is our differences especially that add to the beauty of sisterhood.

AKA
Old 12-30-2005, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh wow... didnt think my old siggy would get such reactions... I am from the land of UGK so of course Bun B's CD is on rotation in my car right now...
Old 12-30-2005, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: What is a Sorority Girl?

Glamourgirl409,

I like to think of myself and my sorors as women, not girls.
To answer your question, of course every Harriet or Jane can not be an Alpha Kappa Alpha woman. If you want to know what kind of woman makes an Alpha Kappa Alpha woman, just look at my sorors on your campus and in your community. GET TO KNOW THEM and you will find out who we are. If there is a match, Alpha Kappa Alpha will choose you (so to speak). You will not have to worry about whether you are right for Alpha Kappa Alpha.

I know that that answer is probably not what you were looking for but I think it's really the truest answer. Just be yourself and my sorors will see something in you if you are Alpha Kappa Alpha material.

Congrats on your academic success and your activism!!
SC

Quote:
Originally posted by glamourgirl409
Good Morning Ladies

I am a young lady who doesnt have any affilation with any greek organizations but I have been thinking that I will look at the benefits of joining such an organization. At school I am actively involved with my Student Government Asociation, my Residence Hall Association and I have served on the board of the Community Action Network which puts together the camous wide community service events that the school does twice a year... My GPA is above average And I have always tried to go and support any event that a greek org does.

I guess what I wanna know is there a certain type of woman or girl that makes up a sorority girl? Can any Tammy, Diane and Harriet off the street become a sorority girl? I know that for every org some peceptions may be different... (which is why I am asking this question of every NPHC org that is at my school)...

If there is a better way for me to ask this kinda of question than on a message board, please let me know...

Thank You for your time

Chanel...
Old 12-30-2005, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: What is a Sorority Girl?

Quote:
Originally posted by SummerChild
Glamourgirl409,

I like to think of myself and my sorors as women, not girls.
To answer your question, of course every Harriet or Jane can not be an Alpha Kappa Alpha woman. If you want to know what kind of woman makes an Alpha Kappa Alpha woman, just look at my sorors on your campus and in your community. GET TO KNOW THEM and you will find out who we are. If there is a match, Alpha Kappa Alpha will choose you (so to speak). You will not have to worry about whether you are right for Alpha Kappa Alpha.

I know that that answer is probably not what you were looking for but I think it's really the truest answer. Just be yourself and my sorors will see something in you if you are Alpha Kappa Alpha material.
Excellent response, Soror!! ....But what else could I expect from an Alpha Kappa Alpha woman?
Closed Thread