GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,289
0 members and 2,289 guests
No Members online

Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 AM

The sorority you depledged sounds like they can't find their bottom with both hands. I would skip them unless you are in the mood to be the organizer.

As far as girls telling you they will fight for you as a little, they really need to zip it. It's not appropriate to tell rushees that and is considered dirty rushing. The fact that it and the talk of bigs in general seems to be making you uncomfortable is a big red flag.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Know what? I remember agonizing over stuff. It's really hard to get clarity when you've got that gerbil in a freedom ball running around in your brain (or you've got "monkey mind" or the committee or whatever constantly chattering at you. Ugh.).

Here's the deal, Jess: let it be for a while. Just step back from it and do your best not to think about it at all. Things have a way of sorting themselves out. Wait until the time comes (in the fall, right?) and then you can make decisions based on how things play out at that time.

Hoping for a wonderful ending for you.

ETA: posting at about the same time as 33 and I'd take her advice.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-04-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess1994 View Post
First of all I didn't want to depledge them, the school made me stop because they messed up with some of the pledging paperwork. And many of the girls are really great.
But the point is if you were the only pledge, they should have been able to get their act together enough to not screw up their paperwork.

I'm sure they're lovely girls, but think about whether you want to spend all your college years in a state of emergency waiting for people to get their stuff together.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree that you should focus more on the sisterhood and where you will fit in, and not on who your Big Sister will or will not be. I think that the importance of the Big/Sister Little Sister relationship is overemphasized sometimes, especially in the minds of PNMs. My Big Sister left school the semester after I joined, but I had a lot of other friends in the chapter (not that I didn't miss her, but it didn't really impact my sorority experience that she was gone).

In addition to where you think you will fit in, think about whether there is a chapter of girls that you aspire to be like. (I'm not talking about "tent talk" or which sorority is supposedly the best, most beautiful, whatever, but where the girls exhibit qualities that you admire.) One of the things that attracted me to my own sorority was that the women in it who I knew on campus were smart, were leaders, and had their acts together. I wanted to be like that, and to be associated with people who were like that.

Good luck. Try not to stress about it too much! It sounds like it can be a confusing situation.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So like I said earlier in another post there are 3 or 4 groups interested in me for this coming semester. Two of which I am also very interested in, one that I am somewhat interested and one that I am not really interested in much at all. The group that I am somewhat interested in is inviting me to these diffferent party events that they are hosting in the city. They seem like a good group too, just like the other two who have still been in contact with me.
Good for you Hope you have a good time.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

sorority

After beginning pledging last semester I wanted to try pledging to that particular sorority again since when I was forced to stop by the school due to the situation I explained in an earlier post and the girls were nice and told me to pledge this coming semester but now I am not sure. I feel like part of me still wants to pledge that sorority and the other half wants this other one that also said they wanted me.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
After beginning pledging last semester I wanted to try pledging to that particular sorority again since when I was forced to stop by the school due to the situation I explained in an earlier post and the girls were nice and told me to pledge this coming semester but now I am not sure. I feel like part of me still wants to pledge that sorority and the other half wants this other one that also said they wanted me.
I'll say before what I said again. If the sorority had their act together, you would not be in this position. The pledge mistress forgot to submit the papers, for crying out loud. This is like your dentist forgetting to tell you to open your mouth.

And this is for a pledge class of ONE. Can you imagine if there'd been 10 girls involved?? If you really, really, really love these girls and feel like they're your soulmates and this is meant to be, then go for it, but just be aware that from the sounds of it you'll be involved in putting out fires and fixing lots of stuff.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

You are just going to have to deal with that yourself. We've given you all the advice we can. Wait till school starts and see how you feel when you are there and recruitment is going on.