GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 319,327
Threads: 115,030
Posts: 2,179,305
Welcome to our newest member, maxmuspitta3929
» Online Users: 223
3 members and 220 guests
atbeatsdrdre, isgrissowinf, naraht
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 07-15-2003, 06:44 PM
sugar and spice sugar and spice is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,571
She also, in another thread, mentioned that she wanted to use Sigma Kappa's symbols, colors, constitution, new member manual and history . . . I don't think people would be getting this worked up over JUST the letters, but in combination with the other stuff.

Not to mention the fact that I'm pretty sure this girl is here just to annoy people . . . check out some of her other posts.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-15-2003, 06:48 PM
meridionaleDG meridionaleDG is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hattiesburg*MS
Posts: 259
Send a message via AIM to meridionaleDG
Quote:
Originally posted by PiKA2001
Thats kind of rude. I really dont get why people are ripping this girl apart about the letters she chose. Yeah, they're part of a national sorority but if this girls campus has no greek system what does it matter? If a group on a campus with no greek system started and named themselves Pi Kappa Beta I wouldn't really care, I mean look at Pi Kappa Alpha and Pi Kappa Phi. These are two completely diff orgs with diff symbols and meanings and we were founded in the same region and time period as each other. If this chick wants to call her sorority sigma kappa epsilon pi let her!
Yea, I agree which is why I quoted someone else and said she was right about us being mean to this girl.

Also, I did not say that because of her wanting to name her sorority something that already exsist. I only was making fun of the MEANING of the letters. She keeps saying she wanted to use Sigma Kappa as her foundation for her sorority (foundation as in starting point, not philanthropy) becuase she likes what their letters stand for. How could she know that? In another thread I explained to her in length about how to develop meaningful letters. It didn't really sink in - so I made up letters that stood for Brick Head. Yes *that* is rude. I shouldn't call her that just because it is hard to understand things.

It's like you came in on one word in a 7 sentence paragraph or something. Please do a search on her posts and read all her threads. What I said was rude (and I admitted it before you even posted), but it was said out of aggrevation.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-15-2003, 06:49 PM
cristinasmile cristinasmile is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally posted by PiKA2001
Thats kind of rude. I really dont get why people are ripping this girl apart about the letters she chose. Yeah, they're part of a national sorority but if this girls campus has no greek system what does it matter? If a group on a campus with no greek system started and named themselves Pi Kappa Beta I wouldn't really care, I mean look at Pi Kappa Alpha and Pi Kappa Phi. These are two completely diff orgs with diff symbols and meanings and we were founded in the same region and time period as each other. If this chick wants to call her sorority sigma kappa epsilon pi let her!
Yeah!!! The post before this one, above the one I am responding to was rude. Why would you treat someone that way?

Our school does not have a Greek system, so why would it matter what we call ourselves? We aren't ripping off some other sorority organization.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-15-2003, 06:55 PM
meridionaleDG meridionaleDG is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hattiesburg*MS
Posts: 259
Send a message via AIM to meridionaleDG
Quote:
Originally posted by cristinasmile
Yeah!!! The post before this one, above the one I am responding to was rude. Why would you treat someone that way?

Our school does not have a Greek system, so why would it matter what we call ourselves? We aren't ripping off some other sorority organization.
I am not treating you any way. I have tried to be nothing but helpful to you when you started asking question in the sororitygirl livejournal. It just seems what me and other people tell you go in through one ear and out the other, and frankly is is sort of frustrating.

I mean this NOT IN A MEAN WAY, but is english your 2nd language? I am just curious. I think going on what sugar and spice had to say about you - you are just a troll trying to stir up some junk.

In that case (which might be a relief or a pitty to you), I am no longer going to even respond or quote your threads. Obviously nothing I say is getting through to you, and that is only frustrating me - so we'd both be better off.

Good luck in whatever you are trying to do.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-15-2003, 06:57 PM
texas*princess texas*princess is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: ooooooh snap!
Posts: 11,150
Quote:
Originally posted by cristinasmile
We aren't ripping off some other sorority organization.
Purely based on other posts you have made in all forums (including the Sigma Kappa forum) it sounds like you *are* trying to "rip off" their sorority.

Like many of the Sigma Kappas have said, they are flattered that you like what their organization stands for, however all sorority women and fraternity men hold their organizations dear to their hearts, so when someone decides to make a 'shoot-off' of the organization (Alpha Xi Zeta for example in the Alpha Xi Delta forum) with symbols, colors, etc. that is *extremely* similiar to that of their own sorority, they get rightly upset.

In the SK forum you have posted that you would like to use Sigma Kappas symbols, colors, new member rituals, and in other threads you have mentioned you want to use the "Sigma Kappa" letters specifically because you like what they stand for, yet don't plan on every affiliating with them.

I think everyone is definately confused as to what your real intentions are... whether you really want to start a women's club, a sorority, or if you are just here to make people upset.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-15-2003, 07:01 PM
cutetiger cutetiger is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Rayne, LA, USA
Posts: 194
Send a message via ICQ to cutetiger Send a message via AIM to cutetiger Send a message via Yahoo to cutetiger
Quote:
Originally posted by cristinasmile
Our school does not have a Greek system, so why would it matter what we call ourselves? We aren't ripping off some other sorority organization.

Whether or not you're "ripping off some other sorority organization", you have to understand the reason behind the way that everyone feels. The pride that all of us have in our organizations is boundless. All of these organizations were started by someone with their own ideas and their own meanings. We take pride in that! Some cared enough for us to make some sort of legacy that we alone would know and could pass down to our sisters. When I first started looking into founding a sorority, I was just like you. I asked advice from these wonderful women and they helped me very much. The organization that helped me the most was Kappa Delta Chi. They gave me the strength and courage to go out on my own. I started looking into Beta Sigma Phi and am proud to say that I was one of the founding sisters of my chapter. We have our own cherished memories. For you to have anything near the name of a NPC sorority only spits in the face of what they hold dear. That just my 2 cents. I'll step off my soapbox now.
__________________
Life, Learning, Friendship!!!
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-15-2003, 07:05 PM
cristinasmile cristinasmile is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 114
You did say "It didn't really sink in - so I made up letters that stood for Brick Head. Yes *that* is rude. I shouldn't call her that just because it is hard to understand things."
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-15-2003, 07:07 PM
cristinasmile cristinasmile is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess
Purely based on other posts you have made in all forums (including the Sigma Kappa forum) it sounds like you *are* trying to "rip off" their sorority.

Like many of the Sigma Kappas have said, they are flattered that you like what their organization stands for, however all sorority women and fraternity men hold their organizations dear to their hearts, so when someone decides to make a 'shoot-off' of the organization (Alpha Xi Zeta for example in the Alpha Xi Delta forum) with symbols, colors, etc. that is *extremely* similiar to that of their own sorority, they get rightly upset.

In the SK forum you have posted that you would like to use Sigma Kappas symbols, colors, new member rituals, and in other threads you have mentioned you want to use the "Sigma Kappa" letters specifically because you like what they stand for, yet don't plan on every affiliating with them.

I think everyone is definately confused as to what your real intentions are... whether you really want to start a women's club, a sorority, or if you are just here to make people upset.
The <b>first</b> intent was to create a social sorority. My school has no Greek life, and trying to start that-- the school may not be accepting to it. Now, I am starting a social women's club, which the school is accepting of. I got the A-OK to create this from the director of student activities, and she told me what to do. She told me that she is interested in this project, and that if we didnt have an advisor, that she'd be willing to work with us. She is the advisor for our group, and that she was an advisor for another womens group at her last job and loved it.

Women's group, not sorority.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-15-2003, 07:10 PM
kddani kddani is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Babyville!!! Yay!!!
Posts: 10,635
Quote:
Originally posted by cristinasmile
You did say "It didn't really sink in - so I made up letters that stood for Brick Head. Yes *that* is rude. I shouldn't call her that just because it is hard to understand things."
I really don't think being a sassy smart@ss is going to earn you any respect here. This is a prime example of why people are not responding well to your threads. If you do think it's "rude", then be the bigger person and step over it and hold your head high and continue on your way. Don't try to be a smart@ss

Quote:
Women's group, not sorority.
Okay, then you're probably no longer in the right place to be finding help. If you're not going to be a sorority, then a greek message board isn't going to help you too much.
__________________
Yes, I will judge you for your tackiness.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-15-2003, 07:15 PM
The Grapist The Grapist is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: IN the GC park, cruuuuuising!
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally posted by cristinasmile
The <b>first</b> intent was to create a social sorority. My school has no Greek life, and trying to start that-- the school may not be accepting to it. Now, I am starting a social women's club, which the school is accepting of. I got the A-OK to create this from the director of student activities, and she told me what to do. She told me that she is interested in this project, and that if we didnt have an advisor, that she'd be willing to work with us. She is the advisor for our group, and that she was an advisor for another womens group at her last job and loved it.

Women's group, not sorority.
This post has been graped on by The Grapist! Sorority copy-catting just isn't cool! The Sigma Kappas ought to bust a cap in your ass!
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 07-15-2003, 07:25 PM
cristinasmile cristinasmile is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally posted by The Grapist
This post has been graped on by The Grapist! Sorority copy-catting just isn't cool! The Sigma Kappas ought to bust a cap in your ass!
We, I are not "sorority copy-catting".
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-15-2003, 07:40 PM
ShaunaF01 ShaunaF01 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Broadalbin, New York
Posts: 48
Send a message via AIM to ShaunaF01
honestly whether or not you are trying to start a sorority or a women's group, you've come flat out and said that you want it to be a sorority down the road, so the i think the best thing you could do would be to just start a sorority.

as for basing yourself on sigma kappa, if that is the organization you would like to become whether it be today or tomorrow, contact sigma kappa, i'm sure they would be more than willing to help you out. if you want to eventually be them then i don't see why you just don't go full fledged and do what you got to do. my chapter started out as a local organization and modeled themselves after alpha phi, and as great as it was when they were chaptered, many of them decided not to go national with alpha phi when the time came because they had put so much work into their local organization. i wasn't apart of it, but i'm sure it is hard to be one thing and then be another, even though you are always part of the first. especially if you want to end up sigma kappa, it may be in your best interest and to save time for the future. instead of starting a local and going through that process and then going through the expansion process, it would probably be easier to just be an expansion project for sigma kappa. also i would check with your college about their policies on local organizations, i know my school is no longer accepting locals, only nationals and internationals.

hope i wasn't too confusing!
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-15-2003, 08:00 PM
volgirl2376 volgirl2376 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 407
Just a few thoughts:

If you want to establish a womens group, maybe consider not using Greek letters. If you dont want to be a greek sorority (I'm not clear on your intentions) I wouldnt choose Greek letters because they will only be associated with a social sorority or a honor society.

If you do want to affiliate down the road, remember it may take years. I think you said you are 23 yrs old, so you may not be around when that may happen, but forming a local could be something you could experience now if its something you really want. Its a lot of hard work and thought (when it comes to establishing your own ideals and meanings etc) but I think it could be a great experience.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-15-2003, 08:00 PM
FuzzieAlum FuzzieAlum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,762
I believe Mount Ida has (or perhaps had) a chapter of the fraternity Tau Epsilon Phi. If they are still around, they could provide you with very useful advice for starting an organization on your campus.
__________________
Alpha Xi Delta
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-15-2003, 08:05 PM
cristinasmile cristinasmile is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzieAlum
I believe Mount Ida has (or perhaps had) a chapter of the fraternity Tau Epsilon Phi. If they are still around, they could provide you with very useful advice for starting an organization on your campus.
Yes, Mount Ida had a fraternity back in the day and no their not around. There are honor socities that I could talk to if we wanted to create a sorority on our campus, but we are not doing that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.