GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,879
1 members and 1,878 guests
Cookiez17
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I will not apologize for saying this. Not one bit of this makes any sense at all to me. I don't believe any of this for a minute. I think the OP is a troll, having a grand time laughing and pulling all of our legs. Autistic, plus size, depression problems, LGBTQ, eating disorder, MS, several years older than most pledges and looks older than that, lives across the country... are there any intersectional boxes that didn't get checked off?
It's your option to believe that but is my reality regardless. It's not uncommon for those things to intersect. The autism and orientation lead to a lot of bullying which lead to depression and eating disorders and delayed educational experience. Covid allowed my classes to be online.. like many other students have been.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish you the best.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

At this point I'm not sure what to think - but one thing I've noticed is that the OP has gotten oodles of great input and advice. Oodles. And it seems the same questions from OP keep being raised. Bottom line? You have a bid. You have no guarantee of receiving an invitation for AI, just as not everyone gets a bid. AI can take years. And as wonderful as it is, it does not offer the same experience as being a member of a collegiate chapter.

In short, you're looking at a future that might not happen versus a 'present' that already is what you want, despite being across the country.

Last edited by NYCMS; 10-06-2021 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
At this point I'm not sure what to think - but one thing I've noticed is that the OP has gotten oodles of great input and advice. Oodles. And it seems the same questions from OP keep being raised. Bottom line? You have a bid. You have no guarantee of receiving an invitation for AI, just as not everyone gets a bid. AI can take years. And as wonderful as it is, it does not offer the same experience as being a member of a collegiate chapter.

In short, you're looking at a future that might not happen versus a 'present' that already is what you want, despite being across the country.
Amen amen!

With the added benefit that if you don't actually attend the school and do matriculate elsewhere (or not enroll in a college with your chapter), you will be considered an alum of that group and can join any alum group of your org that you live near. So you will get BOTH experiences, though the college one will be virtual.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch6492 View Post
I wish you the best.
Thanks. I'm glad I have some options.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post

That's a good point... I was looking at a future with a "maybe" vs. what I actually have now, even if remote at the moment.

I talked to the president of my collegiate sorority last night about my moving/life situation. She was super nice and understanding. She's going to talk to the chapter advisor and nationals (?) about my options. She said the bid was intentional and they want me involved and will try to help me stay active from afar... she just has to talk to the advisor about my inevitable absences for any in-person events. They're trying to move to in-person events later this semester as soon as they can, but at least some will remain virtual.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Amen amen!

With the added benefit that if you don't actually attend the school and do matriculate elsewhere (or not enroll in a college with your chapter), you will be considered an alum of that group and can join any alum group of your org that you live near. So you will get BOTH experiences, though the college one will be virtual.
I would indeed have both experiences, even if the collegiate experience might not be ideal (remote/virtual) or not long (if I'm not enrolled the next 3.5-4 years). I talked to the chapter president last night who was understanding and is going to talk to the chapter advisor and nationals about my options and about my absences for any in-person events they might have. She's also going to see if there's any local alumna chapters that I could somewhat connect with while I'm here too.
Closed Thread