GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,429
0 members and 1,429 guests
No Members online

Old 05-04-2018, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

24 year career-1st time resigning before having a new job lined up

Hello Greek Family!

I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced anything similar to my situation and has any words of encouragement or advice.
I am nearing the end of my 24th year in education and have worked my way from the classroom to the state dept of education. Long story short-my section was dissolved, I was placed in a new one with a VERY different team philosophy. It was obvious early on that I was not a good fit for their group and they began to make life VERY hard for me. I could see the writing on the wall and turned in a resignation effective at the end of my contract before either being non-renewed or being given the resign or be non-renewed talk. So, for the first time in my career I am resigning from a job without having a new one lined up.

The upside is I have made many contacts through my work at the state. The downside is the question has already come up in one of the two interviews I have gone on “Why are you looking to go back into a school? That’s unusual for someone who has moved to the level you’re at now?” My answer for that so far (which IS part of my reason for leaving is that the work was not a good fit for me in terms of the change to more virtual work and only dealing with selected district leaders when I’m more of a hand on person). Regardless of whether or not others ask the question, I know they’ll be thinking it and the group I’m leaving is heading up one of the “trendy” education movements so they are very much in the field and I don’t trust all of them not to spread gossip or the leadership to say bad things about me. I want to go back into school counseling which I haven’t done since 2010 which will actually bring me a salary close to what I was making when I started at the state because I am National Board Certified.

Again, it’s an unusual and anxiety filled time for me to be in this boat at almost 46 with 24 years experience in. Any encouragement or advice would be appreciated.

Side Note- I was in a local sorority in college and became an Alumnae Initiate in 2014. If I were around 30 I would totally try to go back to school and get into student affairs at the college level. I love the NPC experience and hearing the story of those in my Alumnae Chapter who are in graduate school for that. If you made it to the end of this post, thanks for caring.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not in the education field but I have left a job before having another one secured and it is scary. But I think your reason for going back into the classroom is a valid one and with a solid answer. In my job I have hired and also served on interview panels for both positions within my own office and assisting others interview candidates.

From the hiring managers point of view this change would spark some curiosity. That doesn't mean it would be a deal breaker for me. Here's how I would view it, based on what you wrote.

You're going from X position to what might be viewed as a "step-down" in the eyes of the hiring manager. My question to myself would be 1. are you just trying to get your foot in the door and then you're going to move onto something else once that opportunity comes about. or 2. was there some other larger issue that caused you to leave that position and 3. are you going to get bored or burnt out in a few years from going back to the hands on day-to-day if you will.

Don't get me wrong I don't think your other experience is necessarily a detriment but I think probably having an answer to some of those questions might be handy to give the hiring team a bit more reassurance.

Best of luck and hopefully that little nugget might help.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you. I have thought about all of those things but this definitely leads me to put more thought into those questions should they arise. If I find a job that I enjoy within 30 minutes of home, they will have me for a few years. At this point even a district level position isn’t out of the question but my number one choice is to go back into a school. I have learned all of this awesome stuff at the state level that I would love to help implement at the “boots on the ground” level.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

I am an educator and I have been there. What I have encountered is that principals don't want to pay for teachers with advanced degrees; they'd rather save a few bucks and go for a new grad or even an uncertified one. Be ready for that and be ready to possibly have to teach in a less-than-desirable district.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAttain View Post
Thank you. I have thought about all of those things but this definitely leads me to put more thought into those questions should they arise. If I find a job that I enjoy within 30 minutes of home, they will have me for a few years. At this point even a district level position isn’t out of the question but my number one choice is to go back into a school. I have learned all of this awesome stuff at the state level that I would love to help implement at the “boots on the ground” level.
I think that's a great way to frame things. I work in more of a policy office myself and sometimes there's a bit of disconnect from those that are as you said "boots on the ground" versus those who are more in the development and policy arena. Hopefully those lessons learned you'll find a place where you can impact change both at the local and the state level.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hello Greek Family!

I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced anything similar to my situation and has any words of encouragement or advice.
I am nearing the end of my 24th year in education and have worked my way from the classroom to the state dept of education. Long story short-my section was dissolved, I was placed in a new one with a VERY different team philosophy. It was obvious early on that I was not a good fit for their group and they began to make life VERY hard for me. I could see the writing on the wall and turned in a resignation effective at the end of my contract before either being non-renewed or being given the resign or be non-renewed talk. So, for the first time in my career I am resigning from a job without having a new one lined up.

The upside is I have made many contacts through my work at the state. The downside is the question has already come up in one of the two interviews I have gone on “Why are you looking to go back into a school? That’s unusual for someone who has moved to the level you’re at now?” My answer for that so far (which IS part of my reason for leaving is that the work was not a good fit for me in terms of the change to more virtual work and only dealing with selected district leaders when I’m more of a hand on person). Regardless of whether or not others ask the question, I know they’ll be thinking it and the group I’m leaving is heading up one of the “trendy” education movements so they are very much in the field and I don’t trust all of them not to spread gossip or the leadership to say bad things about me. I want to go back into school counseling which I haven’t done since 2010 which will actually bring me a salary close to what I was making when I started at the state because I am National Board Certified.

Again, it’s an unusual and anxiety filled time for me to be in this boat at almost 46 with 24 years experience in. Any encouragement or advice would be appreciated.

Side Note- I was in a local sorority in college and became an Alumnae Initiate in 2014. If I were around 30 I would totally try to go back to school and get into student affairs at the college level. I love the NPC experience and hearing the story of those in my Alumnae Chapter who are in graduate school for that. If you made it to the end of this post, thanks for caring.

Are you a teacher or a school counselor? I would need to know that in order to understand how to help.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

als463- I’m a school counselor ��
Old 05-04-2018, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I am an educator and I have been there. What I have encountered is that principals don't want to pay for teachers with advanced degrees; they'd rather save a few bucks and go for a new grad or even an uncertified one. Be ready for that and be ready to possibly have to teach in a less-than-desirable district.
Yes I have been through that one as well in previous job searches. My plan is to apply for the jobs that I feel will be a best fit for me first and if I haven’t been hired by mid July, I will be jumping on anything. I have six years left before I can retire if I choose to and I’m hoping for a good fit *fingers crossed*
Old 05-05-2018, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
als463- I’m a school counselor ��
I sent you a pm.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for that-You are AWESOME!!!
Old 05-07-2018, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
I was asked this question when I interviewed to go back into a classroom after 10 years in School Administration. I explained that what I was being asked to do as an Assistant Principal (confiscate drugs, break up fights, search students for weapons) wasn't what I had trained for or expected to be doing. The expectation was that I would work with teachers to improve teaching and learning, support initiatives and lead staff development. When this didn't happen, I decided to go back to what I was good at and loved doing- working directly with the children.

After doing this for two years, I am now being wooed to step into an Instructional Coach position to work with teachers doing exactly what I had wanted!

My advice is, be open about why you are making the switch- and frame as you going back into your love.