GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 977
1 members and 976 guests
zavictoiajnr131

Old 02-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrigamiTulip View Post
Wow, that looks nothing like the one I saw on ebay! Either it was mislabeled, or was a pledge pin. It truly was beautiful, though!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Correction: The Delta Sigma badge dated 1925 is not the same Delta Sigma that was absorbed by AOPi. Baird's 1912 (it's online now) already lists *that* Delta Sigma as absorbed.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream*a*dream View Post
i am hesitant to speak for delta phi epsilon, not being a member of dphie. it is my understanding that the npc required them to change their original "triangle" shaped badge by adding the "ribbon" with their motto "esse quam videri" on the bottom of their badge before they were allowed entrance into the npc. supposedly, the npc felt that their original badge was too similar to that of sigma kappa and sigma sigma sigma in shape and appearance. i would imagine that the early members would have had very mixed feelings about having to change something so dear to their founders and their heritage. i cannot imagine having to change my beloved badge by npc directive. once again, i have seen and held an original dphie badge, it was beautiful and had a wonderful simplicity to it. their original badge is extremely rare and very meaningful for the sisterhood of delta phi epsilon. it has been posited that there were less than 1500 of the original dphie badges made. a member of this board whom i shall not name, who is a dphie, could better and more fully explain this required change and how unique and treasured their original badge is. she has personally rescued and preserved several of the very rare, original dphie badges. imagine the badge without the bottom "ribbon" and that is basically what it looked like. again, a member of dphie would be able to tell you the specifics. i know from the wonderful dphie members i know that they love their "new" badge as that is all most of them have ever known. however, many of the older dphie members cherish their older, original badge and rightfully try to preserve such a limited number of something so important to their heritage for their archives and personal collections.

i personally thank the pin collectors who have alerted us to situations such as this. how tragic it would be if one of these rare badges were just melted for scrap. imagine melting that wonderful iota alpha pi badge that origamitulip posted because they are no longer in existence, how sad.

*sweet*dreams*
You rang??? Yes, indeed, you have hit the nail on the head on all points. When NPC "mandated" we change our badge, it might have been a suggestion , no one knows for sure - I wasn't there in 1950! Attached are some photos. From left to right they gain age - the one with the Eta is from Pitt from 1928 only 11 years after founding - pearls were smooshed in and not prong set. I don't think our organization has any resentment for having to change the badge - again we only had 1500 members at the time and we ADDED something important, our motto - so we really didn't "lose" anything.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

The Delta Sigma which became AOII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichonl View Post
Correction: The Delta Sigma badge dated 1925 is not the same Delta Sigma that was absorbed by AOPi. Baird's 1912 (it's online now) already lists *that* Delta Sigma as absorbed.
The Delta Sigma which was absorbed by AOII is below...the black and white is from a yearbook and provided by an alumna and the color photo is from a fraternity pin collectors website. Incidentally, the badge photographed is from one of the the three Delta Sigma chapters and this one did not go with AOII, it was at Brown. This badge is about an inch across, so larger than most badges made today.

Last edited by Denise_DPhiE; 02-28-2007 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-2007, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise_DPhiE View Post
You rang??? Yes, indeed, you have hit the nail on the head on all points. When NPC "mandated" we change our badge, it might have been a suggestion , no one knows for sure - I wasn't there in 1950! Attached are some photos. From left to right they gain age - the one with the Eta is from Pitt from 1928 only 11 years after founding - pearls were smooshed in and not prong set. I don't think our organization has any resentment for having to change the badge - again we only had 1500 members at the time and we ADDED something important, our motto - so we really didn't "lose" anything.

Very cool, and I can see how it would be confusing with both SK and Tri Sigma without a change. But this is only an addition, not a loss!
Old 02-28-2007, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, Denise! Would you happen to have a picture of the Alpha Sigma Delta badge?
Old 02-28-2007, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
The Delta Sigma which was absorbed by AOII is below...the black and white is from a yearbook and provided by an alumna and the color photo is from a fraternity pin collectors website. Incidentally, the badge photographed is from one of the the three Delta Sigma chapters and this one did not go with AOII, it was at Brown. This badge is about an inch across, so larger than most badges made today.

Thanks for the pics, D.

We did get Brown (Pembroke College) too. That was our Beta Chapter. The problem arose days later when the university officially banned GLOs. According to the AOII history book, it never became fully operational as a collegiate chapter but many of the women became active alumnae.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks, Denise! Would you happen to have a picture of the Alpha Sigma Delta badge?
Yes, from a lady in DZ in TX who sought one for years. She got it on ebay in 2006. Baird's never did have a photo in the 1990 edition.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, what was ASD's deal, anyway? I never heard of them before.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow, what was ASD's deal, anyway? I never heard of them before.
I think you are in over your head posting questions all over all the boards about badges. Time to sit back and lurk a while, won't you please? For the record, GC+badge collecting is sort of like oil+water. Lots of old discussions about this and no desire to resurrent them (please no bumping of old threads on this!)

Since you asked about ASD, I figured you knew their story as their story is one of the lesser known ones (but again, my DZ friend in TX is assembling a set of all of the badges of groups which became DZ and this one was a doozie to obtain!).

Alpha Sigma Delta (there were other groups by this same name including the group at UC Santa Cruz that just affiliated with KKG - their reason for the letters was symbols of what they stood for and not anything to do with this ASD).

Alpha Sigma Delta founded at the California Berkley as the Iaqua Club in 1919 merged with Lambda Omega in 1932 and added two new chapters. They then merged with Theta Upsilon who merged with DZ.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I love this thread...so interesting!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
it is my understanding that the alumnae are offered the opportunity to be initiated into the absorbing group at the time that the collegiate members of the absorbed group are initiated.
I know we've (ADPhi) chartered several old locals, and in those cases we've initiated alumni whenever there is an event that they will attend. We send them newsletters, etc. whether initiated or not unless they request to be taken off the list. We also did not charge the alumni a fee for initiation unless they want a badge, in which case they have to pay a small fee.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Alpha Sigma Delta (there were other groups by this same name including the group at UC Santa Cruz that just affiliated with KKG - their reason for the letters was symbols of what they stood for and not anything to do with this ASD).
Haha sweet! I didn't know we were mentioned in this thread! Yeah, I was really surprised when I found out there a had been another Alpha Sigma Delta. Our reasons for choosing those letters had nothing to do with the Greek meaning. We openly told people the meaning, so I'm not disclosing something secret: Alpha means the first or best, Sigma is the strongest bond in chemistry, and Delta means change (i.e. into an NPC chapter). Lol aren't we original?

I love old badges, though! Kappa has a history book that features some really old badges. *Drooool*
Old 02-01-2008, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to radioZTA Send a message via Yahoo to radioZTA
On page 14 of our national magazine, there is the story of a ZTA special initiate who is/was a member of Beta Sigma Omicron:

Themis Winter '08
Old 02-26-2008, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Delta Theta Chapter Roll

Alpha Delta Theta merged into Phi Mu in 1939. That was the first merger between two members of the NPC.

1918 Alpha, Transylvania
1922 Beta, Kentucky
1923 Gamma, Cincinnati
1923 Delta, Illinois
1923 Epsilon, Butler (1934)
1923 Zeta, Nebraska (1933)
1924 Eta, Ohio State
1924 Theta, Washington
1924 Iota, California, Berkeley (1934)
1925 Kappa, Ohio Wesleyan (1934)
1926 Lambda, George Washington
1926 Mu, UCLA
1927 Nu, Nebraska Wesleyan
1927 Xi, Adelphi
1928 Omicron, Brenau
1929 Pi, Samford (formerly Howard College)
1929 Rho, Ohio
1930 Sigma, Tulsa
1931 Tau, Minnesota
1931 Upsilon, Missouri (1933)
1931 Phi, USC (Southern Calif)
1932 Chi, Nevada
1932 Psi, Queens – Chicora
1932 Omega, Bethany
1934 Alpha Alpha, Charleston

In the 1939 merger, four entirely “new” Phi Mu chapters resulted. The chapters and their Phi Mu chapter names++ are:

Delta Theta, Transylvania
Alpha Kappa, College of Charleston
Beta Nu, Bethany
Zeta Kappa, Nebraska Wesleyan
Epsilon Gamma, U. of Tulsa

Other chapters merged with existing Phi Mu chapters on their campuses:

Brenau
Adelphi
UCLA
USC (Calif.)
George Washington
Queens College
Cincinnati
Samford (formerly Howard College)

++ The chapter names may not appear to be "in sequence." As I understand it, that's because, at least at that time (1939), Phi Mu was naming new chapters according to province or district. So Transylvania was in the Delta district, Tulsa in the Epsilon district, and so on.

Main sources of information: Baird's manual 18th edition and "The History of Phi Mu: The First 130 Years" (1982)