GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,389
2 members and 2,387 guests
Cookiez17, FSUZeta

Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I should probably start planning this thing. We've done nothing, lol

Then again, there is no official date yet. We tried setting it, but it's already changed a few times. First it was 5/12/12, but then my dad was the one who remembered that my brother and fiance's sister will be in the midst of finals (and they're both in the wedding party). So we pushed it back a week. Then I was like, wait let's go another week back so that we can include that memorial day in our honeymoon so I won't waste a vacation day. Then he asked if we could move it to summer because if he has a teaching job (hopefully!!!) he won't have to worry about taking off at all because he will be on break, which is fine by me. And then from there we never set a date, lol
Old 08-24-2010, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Lol, at least you have plenty of time!

And unfortunately, so do we. Our school schedules and half the state of Pennsylvania mean that we're pushing ours alllllll the way back to June 1, 2013. So no real planning for us either right now. Maybe in the spring.

However, one of my Kappa sisters is getting married in late 2012 and just bought her gown! I think she's INSANE for it, lol.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
I don't think it's pretentious...I think it is not only practical, but considerate to give them more than 6 weeks to make plans if they choose to attend.
Exactly what I was going to post. We are planning on having our wedding in Chicago, and most of my family and friends lives in South Carolina and would need more than 6 weeks notice to save up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
I should probably start planning this thing. We've done nothing, lol

Then again, there is no official date yet. We tried setting it, but it's already changed a few times. First it was 5/12/12, but then my dad was the one who remembered that my brother and fiance's sister will be in the midst of finals (and they're both in the wedding party). So we pushed it back a week. Then I was like, wait let's go another week back so that we can include that memorial day in our honeymoon so I won't waste a vacation day. Then he asked if we could move it to summer because if he has a teaching job (hopefully!!!) he won't have to worry about taking off at all because he will be on break, which is fine by me. And then from there we never set a date, lol
Start thinking about where you want to have your wedding and/or reception at first before you pick your date. I heard that a lot of places in Chicago proper book a year in advance. The place that my fiance and I love starts taking reservations up to 18 months in advance...6 more months until we can book it if necessary.

Quote:
Lol, at least you have plenty of time!

And unfortunately, so do we. Our school schedules and half the state of Pennsylvania mean that we're pushing ours alllllll the way back to June 1, 2013 .
You and lovespink88 make me think that I am normal for having a 2+ yr long engagement.

Last edited by joliebelle; 08-24-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
You and lovespink88 make me think that I am normal for having a 2+ yr long engagement.
Welcome to the club!

When people hear how long I'm going to be engaged, their mouths drop slightly and they say, "oh. I guess you have time to plan!".

Right. Because I have nothing else to do.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Start thinking about where you want to have your wedding and/or reception at first before you pick your date. I heard that a lot of places in Chicago proper book a year in advance. The place that my fiance and I love starts taking reservations up to 18 months in advance...6 more months until we can book it if necessary.
AHH I know, I know, I really gotta get on it! People keep telling me "You have lots of time!" but we are looking for "unique" places (a.k.a. anything but a standard reception hall) in the Chicago area, and I've heard that I gotta book way in advance.

Okay, this weekend, I am for serious going to sit down with him, pick a date, and start looking for places for the reception. (I've been saying this for like a month now.)
Old 08-24-2010, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
Welcome to the club!

When people hear how long I'm going to be engaged, their mouths drop slightly and they say, "oh. I guess you have time to plan!".

Right. Because I have nothing else to do.
I know, right?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
In some ways, not others. No way in hell I'm serving lutefisk at my wedding. I draw the line at that.

I'd love to arrive in a chariot pulled by gray cats though, not sure how to make that happen.
Just feed Valkyrie very well.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
AHH I know, I know, I really gotta get on it! People keep telling me "You have lots of time!" but we are looking for "unique" places (a.k.a. anything but a standard reception hall) in the Chicago area, and I've heard that I gotta book way in advance.

Okay, this weekend, I am for serious going to sit down with him, pick a date, and start looking for places for the reception. (I've been saying this for like a month now.)
I agree with that..I don't want your standard reception hall. We aren't getting married in a church, so we're hoping to find a ceremony and reception place in one. All of the best sites in Chicago are ridiculously expensive...we are looking mostly in the suburbs though. If you need any help finding "unique" venues, let me know!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't think it's pretentious. ALL of my family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) live in Texas. We don't. If they want to come to our wedding, then it's going to require some fairly significant travel. I think it is not only practical, but considerate to give them more than 6 weeks to make plans if they choose to attend.

And AOE, I've been told 6-8 months.
Quote:
Exactly what I was going to post. We are planning on having our wedding in Chicago, and most of my family and friends lives in South Carolina and would need more than 6 weeks notice to save up.
We did say it's different when there is significant travel involved. People I know who have sent "Save the Date" favors/cards have sent them to everybody invited to the wedding, including people like their parents' boss, etc. All that said, my family grapevine is still sufficient, especially in the Facebook era where everybody and their uncle (and aunts, cousins, grandparents, etc) can find out way in advance anyway.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Just a suggestion, but if there is a particular place you want to get married, sometimes it is easier to go in and see what's available instead of with a preset date...maybe just narrow it down to a month. That's how we ended up with our date. Andy and I met with the priest and he pulled out the calendar and told us what was and wasn't available.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:

However, one of my Kappa sisters is getting married in late 2012 and just bought her gown! I think she's INSANE for it, lol.
That's a little crazy. lol. Does she have a location?

I think you should at least have a location before you buy a dress, just so that the dress is appropriate for the place you're getting married.

Ex: I had a friend who got married this summer. She bought her dress a month after getting engaged in late 2008 (before they had a place). It was a big huge heavy ballgown (because she was thinking winter wedding at the time). When it came down to the planning, they decided on a summer beach wedding in NC (due to school schedules, family not wanting to travel to Ohio, etc.) So she had to sell big wintery ballgown and find something else.

Besides all of that. Two years is a loooong time. There is a good chance that in two years you could look at that dress and just plain not like it anymore. lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
That's a little crazy. lol. Does she have a location?

I think you should at least have a location before you buy a dress, just so that the dress is appropriate for the place you're getting married.

Ex: I had a friend who got married this summer. She bought her dress a month after getting engaged in late 2008 (before they had a place). It was a big huge heavy ballgown (because she was thinking winter wedding at the time). When it came down to the planning, they decided on a summer beach wedding in NC (due to school schedules, family not wanting to travel to Ohio, etc.) So she had to sell big wintery ballgown and find something else.

Besides all of that. Two years is a loooong time. There is a good chance that in two years you could look at that dress and just plain not like it anymore. lol.
She has a location, but still. Things could change in 2.5 years, whether it be the location, her taste, trends, etc. Nuts.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I agree with that..I don't want your standard reception hall. We aren't getting married in a church, so we're hoping to find a ceremony and reception place in one. All of the best sites in Chicago are ridiculously expensive...we are looking mostly in the suburbs though. If you need any help finding "unique" venues, let me know!
Definitely will do, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyAnn View Post
Just a suggestion, but if there is a particular place you want to get married, sometimes it is easier to go in and see what's available instead of with a preset date...maybe just narrow it down to a month. That's how we ended up with our date. Andy and I met with the priest and he pulled out the calendar and told us what was and wasn't available.
Great idea! It just might come to that...
Old 08-26-2010, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
She has a location, but still. Things could change in 2.5 years, whether it be the location, her taste, trends, etc. Nuts.
or weight
Old 09-09-2010, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member