GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,439
1 members and 1,438 guests
Kevin

Old 09-22-2013, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Anyone seen this story?

I'm sending the link to EO, just in case they are not aware of it. That would surprise me, but ...

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...girls-sorority
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-22-2013, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
I'm sending the link to EO, just in case they are not aware of it. That would surprise me, but ...

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...girls-sorority
That won't fly there for 10 seconds. No one will entertain this nonsense at Smith. Also, due to the 5 college consortium- Smith, Mt. Holyoke, Amherst College, and Hampshire College students can join the NPC groups at UMass Amherst should they have the urge for an NPC experience. Heck, there are even free PVTA busses to shuttle them to and from UMass for meetings, events, etc.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 09-22-2013, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Of course, the concept is a little ridiculous, but I can somewhat see where the girl is coming from. Maybe she is looking for people to meet guys with, something that one wouldn't do with girlfriends who are lesbians? I'm one hundred percent for gay rights, but think of it this way: I love hanging out with my guy friends, but sometimes the talk about boobs and who they're hooking up with gets old. Sometimes I just want to hang out with my girl friends so that we can scout out cute boys and talk about our boyfriends/crushes/etc.
The way she presented was done in poor taste, but I don't know if this is an act of hate - maybe she just wants to find friends she has more in common with and can go meet boys with? Since she talks about having socials with men and finding people she has more in common with, I'm not sure if I see this as an act of hate or a way to try to deliberately exclude anyone.

I don't know. I'm trying to give the girl the benefit of the doubt and not automatically conclude that she hates homosexuals, but maybe she does.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconmagnolia View Post
Of course, the concept is a little ridiculous, but I can somewhat see where the girl is coming from. Maybe she is looking for people to meet guys with, something that one wouldn't do with girlfriends who are lesbians? I'm one hundred percent for gay rights, but think of it this way: I love hanging out with my guy friends, but sometimes the talk about boobs and who they're hooking up with gets old. Sometimes I just want to hang out with my girl friends so that we can scout out cute boys and talk about our boyfriends/crushes/etc.
The way she presented was done in poor taste, but I don't know if this is an act of hate - maybe she just wants to find friends she has more in common with and can go meet boys with? Since she talks about having socials with men and finding people she has more in common with, I'm not sure if I see this as an act of hate or a way to try to deliberately exclude anyone.

I don't know. I'm trying to give the girl the benefit of the doubt and not automatically conclude that she hates homosexuals, but maybe she does.
This girl HAS to be a freshman (or transfer). There's NO WAY she could have been there more than a year and not known the culture of not only this particular school, but also the city of Northampton (and the Pioneer Valley, but more extreme in Northampton). She likely didn't realize what she was getting in to, but a traditional sorority would never ever be accepted. Trying to get together a group for the sake of grouping straight women would be futile. This girl would also get some STRANGE looks for anything lilly on campus. People would look at me skeptically whenever I wore letters in Northampton.... but lilly and letters on campus? never.

Anyone else here know the Smith college campus well enough to understand where I'm coming from and maybe can phrase it in a politically correct way?

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 09-22-2013, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconmagnolia View Post

Wait, did you just equate lesbian women with heterosexual men? Did I read that correctly?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Wait, did you just equate lesbian women with heterosexual men? Did I read that correctly?
Ah, it may have sounded like that after I read it again, but I didn't mean for it to. The only way I meant to relate the two was that they are both interested in women, where as straight women might want friends who they can look for guys with. I guess I phrased it poorly.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
This girl HAS to be a freshman (or transfer). There's NO WAY she could have been there more than a year and not known the culture of not only this particular school, but also the city of Northampton (and the Pioneer Valley, but more extreme in Northampton). She likely didn't realize what she was getting in to, but a traditional sorority would never ever be accepted. Trying to get together a group for the sake of grouping straight women would be futile. This girl would also get some STRANGE looks for anything lilly on campus. People would look at me skeptically whenever I wore letters in Northampton.... but lilly and letters on campus? never.

Anyone else here know the Smith college campus well enough to understand where I'm coming from and maybe can phrase it in a politically correct way?
Im surprised this girl decided to go to Smith without somehow figuring this out along the way.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Im surprised this girl decided to go to Smith without somehow figuring this out along the way.
that's pretty much what I was trying to get at... if you even visit the campus once you'd be clued in to what you're getting in to. I know plenty of straight people who have attended there (or taken classes through the consortium), but really.... you have you have your head stuck under a rock not to get the beyond liberal vibe of the campus.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
that's pretty much what I was trying to get at... if you even visit the campus once you'd be clued in to what you're getting in to. I know plenty of straight people who have attended there (or taken classes through the consortium), but really.... you have you have your head stuck under a rock not to get the beyond liberal vibe of the campus.
I agree. I've never been there, but the reputation of the campus is very well known.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

She also has such bizarre ideas about what being in a sorority is... Weekly photoshoots in cute outfits? On Wednesdays we wear pink?
Old 09-23-2013, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriMarie View Post
She also has such bizarre ideas about what being in a sorority is... Weekly photoshoots in cute outfits? On Wednesdays we wear pink?
I know. Baking Night...what?

Is this a joke? If not, it sounds like the writer of this email should have done a little more research when deciding where to go to college.

I'm sorry she had to bring Delta Gamma into this silliness. It would be bad enough if it was just “let’s start a sorority” or she made up a name, but I wonder, why DG?

And this is my favorite version of the email, because it includes gifs of both a cat filing its claws, and Donna from Parks & Recreation:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/lilyhiottmil...-only-sorority
Old 09-23-2013, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

She has some bizarre ideas about what being a lesbian is, too. Who you sleep with has no bearing on whether you'd wear pink or or bake.

I've been looking for data, however, my suspicion is that straight girls are still probably in the majority at Smith, even if the gay/bi population is high, just because folks who openly identify as gay, bi, or trans are 3.4% of the US population per the 2012 Gallup poll. Just because there are MORE lesbians there than you might meet otherwise doesn't mean you're in the minority, little special snowflake.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
She has some bizarre ideas about what being a lesbian is, too. Who you sleep with has no bearing on whether you'd wear pink or bake.
Thank you.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
She has some bizarre ideas about what being a lesbian is, too. Who you sleep with has no bearing on whether you'd wear pink or or bake.
No doubt about it, clearly she hasn't read any Florence King.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

She clearly has no idea what a sorority is. She has also probably not consulted with Delta Gamma about any of this.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma