GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,130
0 members and 1,130 guests
No Members online

Old 11-03-2012, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Any tips before I meet this fraternity?

I am going to be meeting some of people ftom this fraternity at my school soon, they invited me to see their lodge and hopefully I could join up with them. To be completely honest, I am NERVOUS since I don't know anyone in there not I personally know anyone (only know as classmates) from the other organizations.

Ant tips before I meet them?LOL I don't want to blow this up nor do I want to lose my chances.Sure there are others, but I want to keep options open.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 PM

Be yourself and be polite? Um, the same as you would act meeting any new people?
Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
There is obviously WAY more sorority recruitment advice here than fraternity advice, but if you poke around there fraternity advice forum, you should be able to find some stuff.

One thing that jumps out at me is that you want to join before you have even met them: remember that this is a two-way process. You have to decide if you like them, and if they are a good fit for you just as much as they are deciding the same about you.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

A good way to decide which fraternity might be for you is to first look at their values, then at the people. Remember people join people, but there are also values into it as well. Check out every house, not just this one place. Maybe start with houses where you know a lot of people in already. From my experience value based works well to determine what group of people you'd fit in with best.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I mean what kind of questions do I ask them(to show I am interested)? Btw this is a mid tier fraternity, but also going up every year,which is why I am kinda worried I might blow up my chances. They call themselves the "real gents" at my school,and almost all the sororities want to party with them. They may be not big, but they know how to attract all these girls.

But I completely get what you all are saying. I need to find my own fit,not just run to the biggest and the best place. That's why I am keeping my options open, plus cost is a little factor for me.

Is there any kind of advice thread that people can link to?

Last edited by andrew32; 11-03-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're nervous, there is a certain beauty in faking it. Not faking your personality, but faking a sense of confidence. Walk in, head held high, stick your hand out to shake hands, say hi loudly enough that the person you're talking to can hear, answer questions in sentences, not in words. If these kinds of things are daunting to you, hopefully you have a few days to work on it. Seriously, talk to strangers. Say hi to the girl at the check out. Shake hands with your professor, minister, whoever you come across that it might be an appropriate action. For a lot of people this isn't a natural thing to do, but it can be learned.

And don't let them have all the power. You have a say in this process, so don't be a doormat.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Answering your question is kind of taking a shot in the dark. No one really knows what sort of recruiting culture your school has or even whether this group plans on having a Spring class. I'd talk to them, tell them what you're about, figure out what they're about (beyond the superficial), and if it's a fit, ask specifically about signing up.

Also, if there are any social activities, do not overimbibe at any of their functions and do not be aggressive or awkward around women.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma