GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,104
2 members and 1,102 guests
LaneSig

Old 11-20-2006, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Wittenberg University?

Hello All:

First, I'd like to say "hi." I've been lurking for a LONG time and finally caved and joined. Secondly, I was wondering if I could tap the wealth of knowledge that is Greek Chat and ask if anyone is familiar with recruitement at Wittenberg University in Ohio? My little sister is rushing this fall and my sorority is on the campus. I obviously know our policy on legacies, but was wondering if anybody was familiar with the extent to which houses at WU value legacy status? On my campus being a legacy was *basically* a guarenteed bid, but I know this is not the case everywhere.

I don't necessarily expect this to be hashed out in a post, but if somebody could PM me that would be wonderful!

Thank you in advance for your help.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-20-2006, 01:35 AM

Hi,

The Wittenberg name caught my attention.

I don't know the answer to your question, but my mother-in-law is an ADPi from Wittenberg.

Good school.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Witt alum but no knowledge on NPC matters. Good luck to your sister. She picked a wonderful institution of learning!!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
My niece is going through recruitment at Wittenberg as well... since there is not a Pi Phi chapter there, I don't know the answer to your question.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a complete guess, but I know a few girls from high school who are in Wittenberg sororities and they are the sweetest, most down to earth girls I know. They would definitely evaluate a girl based on her own personality status and merits. Obviously being a legacy never hurts, but I think it's most important to have an amazing personality.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

So, my sister chose not to join a sorority this semester. However, in the course of our conversations she sent me a very interesting article:

http://media.www.wittenbergtorch.com...epublisher.com

Of the 166 girls going through recruitment, 70 did not sign a bid card. To me this seems like a very high attrition rate. Am I wrong about that?
Old 02-03-2007, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiOBri View Post
So, my sister chose not to join a sorority this semester. However, in the course of our conversations she sent me a very interesting article:

http://media.www.wittenbergtorch.com...epublisher.com

Of the 166 girls going through recruitment, 70 did not sign a bid card. To me this seems like a very high attrition rate. Am I wrong about that?
It is very high. It seems like this kind of thing happens at campuses where there are only a couple sororities with really good "reputations" -- i.e. the chapters everyone wants to join -- and many more "undesirable" chapters for which women would rather remain independent than join.

I don't know Wittenburg, so I hope that's not the case, but my campus had a problem with that kind of culture developing my freshman and sophomore years. A lot of women chose to drop out of recruitment/SIP rather than join one of the four "bottom" chapters. There were only seven sororities total on my campus, so you can imagine how detrimental this mode of thinking was to greek life as a whole. Great for the "top" two chapters and the "okay" third chapter....but it nearly killed the "bottom" four chapters.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity