GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,122
0 members and 2,122 guests
No Members online

Old 07-31-2007, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Need advice...

Hey all! I am going to go this weekend (Tax free weekend in GA/SC) to buy a new laptop. Only problem is... I know nothing about laptops. Whenever I go into computer stores to try and get help, most of the employees do not try to help at all. So, do any of you know something about laptops? Like, which brand is better, or what specs would be best. Thanks!
The above does not reflect the personal opinions of ΣΣΣMagan. It in no way reflects the opinions of the Eta Rho chaper at Armstrong Atlantic State Univeristy of Sigma Sigma Sigma or National Panhellenic Conference.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
do you use/ like Mac's or PC's? would you use it more for email/ webbrowsing or for like design stuff? would you keep a lot of pictures/ movies/ music on it? ETC.

i would pin down more what you plan to use it for and then we can help you

Also, take a look here, this thread has advice and recommendations
Old 07-31-2007, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
It really depends on what you are going to use the computer for.
I currently have an Acer; before that I had an HP. I love both brands.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlethiaSi View Post
do you use/ like Mac's or PC's? would you use it more for email/ webbrowsing or for like design stuff? would you keep a lot of pictures/ movies/ music on it? ETC.

i would pin down more what you plan to use it for and then we can help you

Also, take a look here, this thread has advice and recommendations

Probably a PC (because I don't know how to use a Mac). Probably for email/webrowsing. And for pictures, mainly. As well as school assignments and sorority stuff.
The above does not reflect the personal opinions of ΣΣΣMagan. It in no way reflects the opinions of the Eta Rho chaper at Armstrong Atlantic State Univeristy of Sigma Sigma Sigma or National Panhellenic Conference.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, pretty much any laptop off the shelf will work for you. You probably don't need Windows Vista, so I'd suggest sticking with XP. That may limit the places you can buy one because I'm not sure which companies were choosing to continue selling computers with XP on them.

But if you're not using it for gaming, design, etc dont' worry too much about the specs. The three big things are your processor, your RAM and your hard drive. If you store a lot of pics on the computer itself, spend some more on the hard drive. Look at the lowest amount of RAM the stores are offering on their stock PCs and go up at least one level, and I'm not as familiar with processors but Pentium is quality.

Do also think about what kind of drives you want on your laptop. CD/DVD? Burner? Do you still use floppies? Most will have plenty of USB ports, but check those too.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Try for a gig of RAM and at least an 80 gig hard drive. If it's for school, get an even bigger one.

FYI-Apple has a deal right now where if you buy a laptop you get a free ipod. And I can assure you, you will catch on to using one very quickly. They're extremely user-friendly now, almost never crash and can't get viruses. Can you tell I'm a fan?

Make a list of the things you'll use it for or want to use it for. Shop around, even look online. Don't let any big chain electronics store con you into their warranty plan. If you go to Best Buy avoid Geek Squad like the plague, they're a huge ripoff.

Because macbooks have dropped in price and you get a free ipod, I would suggest getting macbook, upgrade the RAM to 1 gig, hard drive to 80-120gigs and DO get the protection plan. Apple's very good. Also macs can now run windows. If there's an apple store near you, go play around on one of the laptops and talk to someone there.

Also if you go with a PC, IBM thinkpads really aren't great and do NOT get Vista. Make sure it has Windows XP. Vista is a nightmare!

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 08-01-2007, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
MACs aren't that hard to learn to navigate! And, in the long run, they're a better investment.

Off-topic question: Does anyone know if you can actually walk into a store like Best Buy or Circuit City and buy a Mac? I know there are Mac stores in the Atlanta area and other places but other than a general electronics store I don't think there would be anywhere to buy one in my area...just curious.

Another OT question: Does anyone know if the tax-free weekend discount applies to ALL clothing...i.e. lingerie? I know it's not too sophisticated of me to talk about my underwear on the internet but I need to do some shopping at Victoria's Secret and I'd love to score some tax-free booty.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minDyG View Post
Another OT question: Does anyone know if the tax-free weekend discount applies to ALL clothing...i.e. lingerie? I know it's not too sophisticated of me to talk about my underwear on the internet but I need to do some shopping at Victoria's Secret and I'd love to score some tax-free booty.
This is quoted directly from the Governor's Memo.

Georgia shoppers will get an opportunity to purchase certain clothing items, schools supplies, computers and computer accessories without paying state and local sales tax during the state’s tax-free holiday that begins at 12:01 a.m. August 2 and continues until midnight August 5. “Teachers and parents often spend significant amounts of money in preparing for students to return to school,” said Governor Sonny Perdue. “This break on sales taxes is just one small way that we can show our appreciation for all the work they do for our children.”

During the sales tax holiday, clothing and footwear up to $100 per item are exempt, but there is no limit on how many pairs of shoes and clothing items an individual
can buy. If the price of an article of clothing or pair of shoes exceeds $100, then the item will be taxed at its full retail price.

Clothing accessories, jewelry, handbags, umbrellas,
eyewear, watches, watchbands and similar items are not exempt from sales tax during the tax-free period.

School supplies bought for classroom use or classroom related activities are exempt if they cost $20 or less per item. Included in this area are pens, pencils, notebooks, paper, book bags, calculators, dictionaries, thesauruses, children’s books and books listed on approved school reading lists for pre-kindergarten through 12th grade.
Sales tax will be due on the purchase of any single school supply item that exceeds $20.

Purchases of personal computers and accessories are exempt up to $1,500 per transaction. Items included in the personal computer exemption category include
monitors, personal computer base units, keyboards, handheld computers, monitors, printers, modems, non-recreational software and other peripheral devices.

Personal digital assistants are exempt unless they allow voice communication. Other items that are not exempt include regular cell phones, digital cameras, furniture and any systems, devices, software or peripherals designed or intended primarily for recreational use.
The sales tax exemption on all qualified merchandise is intended only for individuals and their personal use. It does not apply to purchases made for resale, purchases by businesses, items leased or rented, or items sold at sports facilities, theme parks, restaurants, public lodging establishments and airports.

Additional information and a comprehensive list of exempt items are available at any of the Department of Revenue’s regional offices or on the Internet at the
Department’s web site www.dor.ga.gov. Individuals can also get information by calling 404-417-6601 or contacting the Department of Revenue via email at

A tax free holiday for certain energy efficient products with a sales price of $1,500 or less will occur between October 4 and October 7 this year.