GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,537
2 members and 2,535 guests
fmanning

Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 PM
E.O.S.

Update on my daughter/Guess What!!

Sooooo,
The last time I posted I asked for advice on caring for my 3 year old daughter's hair (We got her in August). She is doing well with her transition. She has maybe 2 inches of relaxed hair left. The challenging part has been healing her scalp. As you all know, the foster family she came from had been relaxing her hair since she turned 2. Well, the burns have healed, but I am battling a mild scalp infection that causes her to have little puss bumps scattered on her scalp. I have every confidence that the ointment prescribed for this will help. She loves wearing her braids and beads!!!!!

As I have been taking her on her hair journey, I decided to take my own. It has been 3 months since my last batch of creamy hair crack. I have roughly 4 inches of new growth. My transition style has been the straw set. I haven't built up the nerve to BC ! I have cut 5 inches of my relaxed hair though. I plan on cutting another 3 inches in a few months.

I am looking for a advice on a really great deep conditioner, how to determine my hair type and any other advice you all could give to a transitioning sista.

I would post pics, but I'm not sure how to post them without a URL
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-09-2010, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.O.S. View Post
Sooooo,
The last time I posted I asked for advice on caring for my 3 year old daughter's hair (We got her in August). She is doing well with her transition. She has maybe 2 inches of relaxed hair left. The challenging part has been healing her scalp. As you all know, the foster family she came from had been relaxing her hair since she turned 2. Well, the burns have healed, but I am battling a mild scalp infection that causes her to have little puss bumps scattered on her scalp. I have every confidence that the ointment prescribed for this will help. She loves wearing her braids and beads!!!!!

As I have been taking her on her hair journey, I decided to take my own. It has been 3 months since my last batch of creamy hair crack. I have roughly 4 inches of new growth. My transition style has been the straw set. I haven't built up the nerve to BC ! I have cut 5 inches of my relaxed hair though. I plan on cutting another 3 inches in a few months.

I am looking for a advice on a really great deep conditioner, how to determine my hair type and any other advice you all could give to a transitioning sista.

I would post pics, but I'm not sure how to post them without a URL
I'm glad to hear things are going great with you and your little girl. Congrats on transitioning!

Are you looking for a protein or moisture-based DC?
Old 01-10-2010, 03:33 AM
E.O.S.

Moisture-based. I have very thick hair that sucks up oil. The crown of my head is always very dry. I am looking for a good sulfate-free shampoo also.

Has anyone every used hair rules? I am curious about that and Taliah Wajidd products.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

A few good sulfate-free shampoos I've heard about are Hair One, Dr. Bronners Castille Soap (you have to dilute it with water), and Cream of Nature also has a sulfate-free formula (I'm not sure what color the bottle is because the brand has different colored labels and some of them do have sulfates).

I'm a member of some of the hair boards that have great tips so you may want to check them out- Black Hair Media, Long Hair Care Forum, Keep it Simple Sista, and Hairlista. The founder of Hairlista has some great tips and compiled a list of good products. If you go to this page, there's a list of various products, including deep conditioners. Check it out: http://www.hairlista.com/forum/topics/list-of-shampoos-deep She also has a blog: Hairliciousinc.com.

Personally, I use a few different DCs, including Garnier Fructis Fortifying Deep Conditioner, Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner, Silk Elements Olive Oil Treatment, Queen Helene Cholesterol. Sometimes, I even make/mix my own DCs. A little moisturizing (rinse-out) conditioner, some oils (whatever is your choosing - I usually use some combination of coconut, olive, and castor oil and honey).
Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.O.S. View Post
Sooooo,

You shouldnt worry too much about the hair type because you may discover 2 or 3 (or if your like me 4 ) different hair textures on your head. And Good Luck on your journey
Old 02-24-2010, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

The biggest thing with natural hair is that you must keep it moisturized. Most shampoos completely strip your hair of its natural oils and that's not good for the all-naturalle! I've been natural since 2000 and have been through everybody's products...
Dr. Bronners Castille Soap is a great shampoo (which I found at GNC of all places), it doesn't strip your hair and smells great. I use the Peppermint Oil scent and have found that the liquid is better than the bar but I don't dilute it. Before I locked my hair I used Creme of Nature shampoos and they work well also. I'm not sure of which ones are sulfate free either, but it can be very hard and expensive to distance yourself from the sulfates
I used to use Elasta QP's leave in conditioner, which I found to be a good conditioner.
I have a really itchy and dry scalp and I have finally found a remedy for it. I mix Rosemary Oil with Coconut Oil (also from GNC) and use that to moisturize my scalp. I've been using that mix for some of my client's hair too and have been getting great results.
Talliah Wajjid's products smell very good but didn't help my scalp. I actually use her oil for my skin now.
When my scalp was damaged I used Soft and Beautiful Natural Botanicals Herbal Aloe Therapy Creme an it helped to strengthen my hair and scalp. I wish you much success on you’re and your daughter’s transition and I hope that my methods can help anyone who reads them.
Peace!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Agree with Twisted Sistah and MexianMami0286,

The Castille Soap is the truth, and it lasts a long time because a little bit goes a LONG way.
One really good Coconut Oil is Dabur name brand from the Indian Grocery Store, its has a thick consistency so its best used as a deep conditioner for a pre poo, or deep conditioner or even a daily moisterizer. It has lemon so it acts like an astringent to aid with the scalp.

The main thing is moisterizing, and making sure you detangle at the right time for your hair, some love it while its wet and others like to do it when its dry it depends on your preference but which ever one you decide, make sure you have patients and time to start from the bottom to the top.
Another tip is that when washing, it might be easier to do 8 braided sections or so and placing clips or rubber bands on the ends so that you can have better control over the hair when its wet vs loose and wet.

oh i guess I'll tell you my hair stats:
natural for 3 years, transitioned for one prior to that, went back to crack, when back natural with a boy fade, 9months later locked up.......

Oh thats why I stopped by, Im locked now ladies.. its been about 4 months...I got some budding her and there but for the most part when I wash, its only a small portion of the hair that keeps the lock shape vs the rest is froed out.....

Twisted Sistah,
How long have you been locked?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been wearing my hair natural since March 2008. At first, I embraced my afro, braided my hair at night to wear a braid-out the next day, etc but eventually my fragile hair started to break off once again.

I have been getting my hair braided in extensions on a continuous basis since May 2009 and I just took out my cornrows to get a good look at my hair to see the progress that has been made. My hair looks phenomenal! It's the longest it's been since I was 10 years old (a little past my shoulder, but quite an accomplishment for me) and it's VERY thick! I am now afraid that my hair is going to fall back into the same cycle of breakage and I believe it is from overstyling, dryness, and using the wrong products.

So I said AAAAAALL of that to ask ... what are some good moisturizers and conditioners that you all have used? Also, what sort of hair regimen do you follow? I think my main problem has always been dryness and overstyling and if I can tackle these issues, I can keep up my new head of thick, chemical-free hair! Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello everyone I finally made the decision to go natural in January after debating with it for years and I'm very excited. I've also made the decision to get sisterlocks . But as for right now I'm stuck in this middle process of growing my natural hair out. I have about two inches and I really want to cut these relaxed ends off but idk if I can rock that. Anyway, I wondering if anyone could give me some tips on what to do to make it grow faster and how to condition it properly. Also any tips on locks and what can help them lock better so i don't deal with a lot of untwisting.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

You can get Sisterlocks now because they are specially designed to work on processed hair. Loc away, girlfriend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnRoute View Post
Hello everyone I finally made the decision to go natural in January after debating with it for years and I'm very excited. I've also made the decision to get sisterlocks . But as for right now I'm stuck in this middle process of growing my natural hair out. I have about two inches and I really want to cut these relaxed ends off but idk if I can rock that. Anyway, I wondering if anyone could give me some tips on what to do to make it grow faster and how to condition it properly. Also any tips on locks and what can help them lock better so i don't deal with a lot of untwisting.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2010, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoyred View Post
You can get Sisterlocks now because they are specially designed to work on processed hair. Loc away, girlfriend!
ok thanks!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

newly natural

I've been natural for about 3 weeks. Last relaxer was July 2009. My hair is about 4-5 inches in length as I had the remaing relaxer cutoff.

I've never in my 40+ years managed my own hair. Always had a stylist. So I am definitely on a new journey. Trying to determine products and styles is defintely a part of the process. I am basically wearing twist or braidouts for the past three weeks. Hair gets dry quickly, scalp is ok as I use essential oils for it and my ends.

For the past 3 weeks I've used Curls products. I have type 4b/c hair so it is very tight and coily. Going to try a different product this weekend as I have primarily used all of the Curls. Going to either try a wash n go using kinky curly or twist using Afro Veda. Also need to make a daily moisturizing mixture. Not sure what it will be outside of water...

This thread is very helpful. Thanks
Old 05-28-2010, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4real View Post
I've been natural for about 3 weeks. Last relaxer was July 2009. My hair is about 4-5 inches in length as I had the remaing relaxer cutoff.

I've never in my 40+ years managed my own hair. Always had a stylist. So I am definitely on a new journey. Trying to determine products and styles is defintely a part of the process. I am basically wearing twist or braidouts for the past three weeks. Hair gets dry quickly, scalp is ok as I use essential oils for it and my ends.

For the past 3 weeks I've used Curls products. I have type 4b/c hair so it is very tight and coily. Going to try a different product this weekend as I have primarily used all of the Curls. Going to either try a wash n go using kinky curly or twist using Afro Veda. Also need to make a daily moisturizing mixture. Not sure what it will be outside of water...

This thread is very helpful. Thanks
There are stylists that work with natural hair, too. Some, like mine, do everything from weaves to locs to curls to relaxers and is very good at all of it. Some even specialize in natural hair! Don't think that just because you don't use chemicals that you can't be glamorous and stylish, too! If you used to go to the salon to get your hair done, continue to go if you want, just find someone who will work with what you got, girl!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread is very helpful. I am in a transition. I cut all of my permed hair off almost two weeks ago. I only have about 1.5 inches of hair and it is very coarse. I have a weave in so it can grow out some more. After reading this thread I have a better idea of products to use to encourage growth. Thanks ladies.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Beginning the Journey!

I am also in the process of transition...well after I take out this sew-in, but this has helped alot with the different products I could use. I also heard of Carol's Daughter line and Milk. Im so excited for this to happen!