GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 314,074
Threads: 115,484
Welcome to our newest member, Lay.Day

Old 06-24-2003, 07:19 PM
wreckingcrew

Question question for the computer savvy....

A friend of mine that goes to school in VA emailed me some pics and i can't get them to open. The pictures all have '.art' as the extension file. I've never seen this ext before. I've tried to open it with all the photo programs on my computer and none have worked. I've also tried to download some others and those also didn't work.

What's strange is that i have Windows ME and when i click on the icon, it gives me a small image preview in the left hand part of the screen. So i can see the image, i just can't open it.

So, my question is this, are there any computer savvy GCer's that can point me to a program to download that opens '.art' files or a way to convert the file type w/o actually opening it?

Kitso
KS 361
Old 06-24-2003, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Right click on the file and then check out the properties. Try changing the file to a .jpg or .gif ...sometimes it's as easy as that, sometimes you can't do it.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:35 PM
wreckingcrew

yeah, i've tried that, but it wont' let me.

I think in my OS you have to be able to open it first.

Kitso
KS 361
Old 06-25-2003, 02:35 PM
wreckingcrew

bump
Old 06-25-2003, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Looks like they were sent as AOL ART file format pictures. If you go to Windows Update, there should be in the list of additional file support programs support for AOL ART images. (You do keep Micro$haft Internut Exploter up to date with the latest patches, right? ) Download the program updates, restart your system and you should be in business.

(Leave it to AOL to come up with a proprietary file format for photos. CompuServe had GIF, but it's now a common file format, though it's been supplanted by JPEG.)

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 06-25-2003, 03:32 PM
wreckingcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigOU
Looks like they were sent as AOL ART file format pictures. If you go to Windows Update, there should be in the list of additional file support programs support for AOL ART images. (You do keep Micro$haft Internut Exploter up to date with the latest patches, right? ) Download the program updates, restart your system and you should be in business.

(Leave it to AOL to come up with a proprietary file format for photos. CompuServe had GIF, but it's now a common file format, though it's been supplanted by JPEG.)
a thousand thank you's my friend

Kitso
KS 361 beers i had with the APhis last night, and oh yeah, i'm feelin all of em