GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,351
2 members and 2,349 guests
Cookiez17, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 11-18-2003, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Exclamation Fraternity censured for Iraq-motif party

From the Daily Texan: sounds like the flyers weren't the fraternity's idea, but, they will have to pay the price for them...

The Interfraternity Council Judicial Board will begin to investigate next week as to whether an Iraq war-themed Zeta Psi party violated the code of conduct of the IFC Constitution.

The fraternity has come under fire for a "Bombs Over Baghdad" themed party held Saturday. Party-goers dressed in camouflage, and the house was decorated with sandbags, model airplanes and a "landing strip" painted on plywood, said Zeta Psi Vice President Gabriel de la Garza.

Flyers for the party distributed on campus showed photographs of a crying child spattered in blood, a man clutching a child's lifeless body and a mutilated dead man. The caption read, "Come party, and celebrate what we stand for."

De la Garza, a biology senior, said the fraternity had nothing to do with the flyers. He said a student came to the fraternity house claiming he created the flyers and distributed them after seeing a billboard in the fraternity house's front yard advertising the party. The student was not available for comment Monday.

"In my opinion, it was mostly an anti-war flyer," said Zeta Psi President Thomas Madaelil. "They made it, because they thought the intent of the party theme was to promote innocent people dying, which was not our intent at all."

The party was meant to support the troops, not to promote killing innocent people, said Madaelil, an electrical engineering senior.

The flyer itself illustrates how the theme could be interpreted in a negative way, said IFC Adviser Brian Perry.

Perry contacted Madaelil with concerns about the party's theme after receiving complaints about the flyer and the billboard, which said "Bombs Over Baghdad" and showed Saddam Hussein on an ace of diamonds playing card.

"I definitely thought it was completely inappropriate and insensitive, considering things are still going on in Iraq," Perry said.

Madaelil removed the billboard, but the fraternity went ahead with the party Saturday.

"I agree that party's theme was insensitive and done in poor taste," Madaelil said. "I can't argue with [the judicial board] saying that our theme was insensitive."

The IFC Judicial Board will investigate next week whether Zeta Psi violated the IFC code of conduct by intentionally engaging in a form of harassment. The board will also consider whether Zeta Psi's actions will reflect poorly on the Greek community, Perry said.

Mario Villa, sociology senior and president of Phi Delta Theta fraternity, said he's afraid the party could damage the reputation of UT fraternities.

"People who are non-Greek here just see letters and assume it's everybody," Villa said. "Don't put all groups or all chapters in the category of this kind of behavior because there's 22 or 23 chapters in the IFC itself, and everybody's different."

If the judicial board finds Zeta Psi in violation of the code of conduct, the punishment could include probation, a fine and community service.

"We do apologize for having offended people," Madaelil said. "We'll try to think about something to do to make it up."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-18-2003, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Zeta Psi lives

It amazing to see Zeta Psi even mentioned. I thought they had died out.

Last time I looked they didn't have a national officer under age 60.

I hope they have a lawyer. If the campus or IFC says anything, the lawyer can say "Check the US Bill of Rights - we're Americans and we have freedom of speech".
Old 11-18-2003, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

It seems once again the Political Correctness rears its ugly head!

It seems anymore that No Matter what theme is used by a Greek Organization, it can be construed as being incensative!

We do Western Week for Fund raising and a good time! I wonder how long it will be before a bunch of Cowboys come riding into The Pitt Protesting.

Went to a Fraternity party one time: I was painted Green and My then pre wife was painted brown. Song Titles, the Green Giant and the Amazon.

Wonder how that would fly today?

Once again, their Flyers or not as You said S H they will have to pay for it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-18-2003, 05:36 PM
Banned

Re: Fraternity censured for Iraq-motif party

For some reason I wouldn't even doubt Zeta Psi being innocent on this. That sounds way too stupid. Seriously if people are that stupid I'd be amazed. I would put my money on some jerk using it to protest the war.

-Rudey
--I hope the student is punished if they would even consider punishing the fraternity.

Quote:
Originally posted by LXAAlum
From the Daily Texan: sounds like the flyers weren't the fraternity's idea, but, they will have to pay the price for them...

The Interfraternity Council Judicial Board will begin to investigate next week as to whether an Iraq war-themed Zeta Psi party violated the code of conduct of the IFC Constitution.

The fraternity has come under fire for a "Bombs Over Baghdad" themed party held Saturday. Party-goers dressed in camouflage, and the house was decorated with sandbags, model airplanes and a "landing strip" painted on plywood, said Zeta Psi Vice President Gabriel de la Garza.

Flyers for the party distributed on campus showed photographs of a crying child spattered in blood, a man clutching a child's lifeless body and a mutilated dead man. The caption read, "Come party, and celebrate what we stand for."

De la Garza, a biology senior, said the fraternity had nothing to do with the flyers. He said a student came to the fraternity house claiming he created the flyers and distributed them after seeing a billboard in the fraternity house's front yard advertising the party. The student was not available for comment Monday.

"In my opinion, it was mostly an anti-war flyer," said Zeta Psi President Thomas Madaelil. "They made it, because they thought the intent of the party theme was to promote innocent people dying, which was not our intent at all."

The party was meant to support the troops, not to promote killing innocent people, said Madaelil, an electrical engineering senior.

The flyer itself illustrates how the theme could be interpreted in a negative way, said IFC Adviser Brian Perry.

Perry contacted Madaelil with concerns about the party's theme after receiving complaints about the flyer and the billboard, which said "Bombs Over Baghdad" and showed Saddam Hussein on an ace of diamonds playing card.

"I definitely thought it was completely inappropriate and insensitive, considering things are still going on in Iraq," Perry said.

Madaelil removed the billboard, but the fraternity went ahead with the party Saturday.

"I agree that party's theme was insensitive and done in poor taste," Madaelil said. "I can't argue with [the judicial board] saying that our theme was insensitive."

The IFC Judicial Board will investigate next week whether Zeta Psi violated the IFC code of conduct by intentionally engaging in a form of harassment. The board will also consider whether Zeta Psi's actions will reflect poorly on the Greek community, Perry said.

Mario Villa, sociology senior and president of Phi Delta Theta fraternity, said he's afraid the party could damage the reputation of UT fraternities.

"People who are non-Greek here just see letters and assume it's everybody," Villa said. "Don't put all groups or all chapters in the category of this kind of behavior because there's 22 or 23 chapters in the IFC itself, and everybody's different."

If the judicial board finds Zeta Psi in violation of the code of conduct, the punishment could include probation, a fine and community service.

"We do apologize for having offended people," Madaelil said. "We'll try to think about something to do to make it up."
Old 11-18-2003, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Here we go again. An Iraqi-war themed party? This isn't about being politically correct (which isn't the case here), but an issue of BAD TASTE!

Really......... I mean has EVERY fun party theme been used up? EVERY one?
Old 11-18-2003, 08:22 PM

Re: Zeta Psi lives

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
"Check the US Bill of Rights - we're Americans and we have freedom of speech".
Once again, as I understand what our lawyer friends on GC have said, this is not a First Amendment issue because the government isn't involved here -- IFC is.

The First Amendment says the government can't interfere with our freedom of speech -- not anyone or anything else.

As a second point, people who want to protest the war are not necessarily jerks. Oh, and that's a matter of freedom of speech as well, isn't it?
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:45 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Zeta Psi lives

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Once again, as I understand what our lawyer friends on GC have said, this is not a First Amendment issue because the government isn't involved here -- IFC is.

The First Amendment says the government can't interfere with our freedom of speech -- not anyone or anything else.

As a second point, people who want to protest the war are not necessarily jerks. Oh, and that's a matter of freedom of speech as well, isn't it?
They want to protest it fine and they can. What makes them jerks isn't the issue of what they can and can't do. They targetted this fraternity. On top of that posting those pictures is pure one-sided propoghanda. Why not publish pictures of the mass graves, the torture, the mutilations, and the rapes? Well they didn't. They didn't use this to present their side along side something else, they hijacked it for their cause. But why talk about it here right? this isn't chit chat so I'll drop it because i probably won't even discuss it in chit chat.

And the problem with a lot of these news reports is the fact that they're investigations. Nobody knows what's going on. I stood up for one of our chapters that was recently closed. Their closure wasn't due to the investigation posted on greekchat, but something else entirely. It's good to hear what's going on but it's also good to remember it's an investigation and unproven allegations.

-Rudey
Old 11-18-2003, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

White trash

I think it is still safe to make fun of white trash.

Don't call them hillbillys, though, or Zell Miller (my Senator) gets upset.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:55 AM

Rudey,

Do we know for sure that someone (jerk or not) it targeting this group. I thought that was your speculation at this point. Am I wrong on that?
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Rudey,

Do we know for sure that someone (jerk or not) it targeting this group. I thought that was your speculation at this point. Am I wrong on that?
This segment of the article would tend to indicate that the student did actually target Zeta Psi.

Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-19-2003, 11:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Rudey,

Nope you're right on that. It was an allegation just as there is an allegation against the fraternity. I'm just pointing out that if it was another student targeting the group, that's how I feel. If it wasn't, I think the fraternity is stupid and their national office should consider whether they want to hold onto a risky "stupid" chapter.

-Rudey
Old 11-19-2003, 05:42 PM

Both of the above make sense. It'll be interesting to follow this one.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a hard time seeing a person or group punished because of another person or group's interpretation.
I agree with Honeykiss1974- Here we go again. An Iraqi-war themed party? This isn't about being politically correct (which isn't the case here), but an issue of BAD TASTE!

Really......... I mean has EVERY fun party theme been used up? EVERY one?
Old 11-21-2003, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kappa crow
would it have been more PC to say it was a "support our troops" party? some dolt would have found a reason to complain about it anyways.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
Originally posted by Kappa crow
would it have been more PC to say it was a "support our troops" party? some dolt would have found a reason to complain about it anyways.
You never know......

Up here in Toronto, which is a hotbed of anti-war movements (anyones war), one Fraternity has hosted a "MASH bash" for around 2 decades now..... it's well attended and around 2/3 of the people are in something military related (including some people in their real uniforms ). If someone is a asshole (such as using the WW1 memorial as a coat rack) they get the boot; it's all about respect..... politics and religion should never get in way of a good time.

All the other Fraternities and Sororities respect the un-written rule to be respectful and not stir shit up a parties.... and will help each other enforce this un-written rule on any random guy who decides to be a jackass at the party (either rabidly pro-war or anti-war).

"Cave ab homine unius libri"