GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,229
2 members and 2,227 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-26-2003, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

informal rush in Texas

Im signed up to go through informal rush at Texas Tech next week. Only 4 houses are participating and ive heard only 40 girls are planning on going through. Is there any advice you could give me ?? Im really nervous because my friends are all in the ones that arent participating. Also im confused on what to wear. Monday i have to go to 2 houses and one said jeans and a cute shirt ( i guess like something youd wear to go out) and the other said just not a tshirt and jeans. Please any advice or suggestions would be great !!!! thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-26-2003, 03:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
the only advice i can give is, breathe, smile, try and stay relaxed and be yourself. you will find your home. as for your friends that are non greek and not rushing- if they are really your friends it won't matter if you are greek or not and sometimes it takes one person in your group to do something new to prompt others to do so also.
as for what to wear, i don't know what your campus is like for rush...your best bet is always to dress up a little more then to dress down. black pants are always a good start. but your recruitment counselor should be able to help you with what to wear. also, get together with girls on your hall who are rushing and see what they are wearing, even if yo don't know them all that well- i am sure they are nervous too and could use a friend.
hope that helps!
what groups are on your campus?
Old 01-26-2003, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Best wishes to you! Texas Tech has some wonderful sororities and I feel sure that you will find a home in one of the ones doing informal.

Glad to see another Texan on board!! Be sure and keep us updated!

Lizz (PNAM tinydancer)
Old 01-26-2003, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

The houses that are taking girls are AXO, ADPi, DG, APhi.. Its Tech's first time to do spring rush so nobody knows what to expect!! Mt roomates are both in sororities, but not the ones that are taking girls.. Im nervous about rush because we dont have rush groups or anything we just have to meet at the houses. Id love any advice you could give me !!!
Old 01-26-2003, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: informal rush in Texas

Quote:
Originally posted by heaz
Im signed up to go through informal rush at Texas Tech next week. Only 4 houses are participating and ive heard only 40 girls are planning on going through. Is there any advice you could give me ?? Im really nervous because my friends are all in the ones that arent participating. Also im confused on what to wear. Monday i have to go to 2 houses and one said jeans and a cute shirt ( i guess like something youd wear to go out) and the other said just not a tshirt and jeans. Please any advice or suggestions would be great !!!! thanks
heaz-
Good luck to you with Tech's informal. I'm currently in Lubbock myself, and understand that Tech's Greek community is one of the best, and you can't go wrong with any of the groups that are recruiting this semester...they are all strong nationally and locally. DON'T pay any attention to anyone who tells you "well the XY's are the ___ girls, and the ABC's are the ___ girls"...it's a bunch of crap. Just keep an open mind and keep an eye out for the group that feels right to you.

As for what to wear--why not just wear something casual/versatile, like some khakis and a nice blouse (or sweater if its as cold as it was last week!)? That way there won't be any conflict between the jeans/not jeans chapters. I honestly wouldn't be too concerned about what you are wearing as long as it's crisp, relatively conservative (no plunging necklines or belly button exposure) & attractive for your first meeting with the women. After you meet them, you will have less trouble deciding what to wear.

Good luck to you & keep us up to date on your progress!
Old 01-26-2003, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to APhiRattlerGal Send a message via Yahoo to APhiRattlerGal
Heres some advice that i got that really helped me:

1. Dont be afraid to ask questions....no question is a dumb question!!!

2. Wear something cute, maybe a skirt, nice shit, and cute shoes.

3. Have fun

4. BE YOURSELF!

5. And last but certainly not least....Follow your Heart!!

Good luck, I know you'll have a blast! Keep us posted!!
Old 01-27-2003, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TxTechCutie
Cool Good Luck!!!!

Heaz,
Good Luck with everything!!!! I'll be going through rush at Tech next fall, so keep us posted with everything that happens! Is it cold up there? I'll be in in Lubbock this upcoming weekend, and I have no idea what to pack
Old 01-27-2003, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the encouragment !! Im nervous, but i guess thats normal !!!

As far as what to pack for LBK, well thats the thing you never know.. It always gets pretty cold at night though so be sure to bring a jacket for night, other than that during the day jeans and a tshirt and fleece should be more than enough !!!
Old 01-27-2003, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
All of the GLO's that are participating are AWESOME organizations! Keep an open mind, smile, and have fun. It's very intimidating when you walk into a room and you try to do everything right...just remember that they are usually just a nervous as you are...they can mess up too! So talk about things you know, ask questions, be interested! AND KEEP AN OPEN MIND! I'm sure you'll have a fab time and end up where you are supposed to be! Good luck!!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

OK guys, the first night is over !!!I went to ADpi, APhi and DG.. DG and ADPi made me feel really welcomed and at home but I did not get the same feeling at APhi at all. I felt uncomfortable there, and i guess they didnt really enjoy me either because they cut me even before i could make it home...ouch !! But anyway tomorrow i have AChiO, so im excited about that ! The DG's really did an awesome job and they had a skit and it was really fun, i was really impressed !!!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Glad you had fun tonight, and hope tomorrow is as exciting as well. I'm curious...what's the process they are following? I've never really heard much about an organized informal recruitment, so I'm just wondering what the deal is...do you just go to everyone's lodge for the first round, and then get invites for the future events? Is it possible that you could get bids from ADPi, DG and AXO? Or is there some kind of bid matching done in the end?
Sorry about all the questions, but the only informal recruitment I participated in as an undergrad basically was a one or two night thing, done entirely separate from the other groups on campus and normally no one went to more than one group's informal rush party.
Good luck tomorrow!

Edited for spelling! ACK! It's late!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
I'm delighted that you enjoyed your time tonight - especially at DG...but you still have some time ahead of you. Keep that open mind and keep smiling! I'm sorry that one house already cut you...it's always hard to tell what went wrong, but it'll probably be for the best in the end. Anyway - keep us up to date! I can't wait to hear more tomorrow!
Old 01-28-2003, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Well it seems to be kind of unorganized...Example: tomorrow ADPi is meeting around 6 and going to the basketball game together, DG is meeting around 6:30 and going roller skating, and at 7:00 AXO has there first meeting with us .. So i want to go see the AXO's but i want to do everything else too !!! I dont see how yall do it during formal rush, im already tired !!!! As far as the bids, i have no clue.. I know they cant give out bids until Friday but i have no idea what the procedure is at all !!! Thanks for all the encouragement, i was really nervous driving to greek circle alone tonight and walking up to the lodges, but im glad i made myself do it !
Old 01-28-2003, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, definitely go check out AXO & don't worry about the conflict-I'm sure DG and ADPi expect there to be some overlap and it shouldn't count against you with them, if they really like you!

I think it's good that you are getting the option of getting to know all of the groups that are recruiting right now. Normally, informal doesn't give you the opportunity to see them all-it's more like "hey-XY is having an informal recruitment party tonight. Wanna come?" and then you only meet XY's when you may have liked ABC's better, but never had the chance to find out.

How do the other PNM's seem to be taking it all in? Keep us posted on how tonight goes! I'm sending positive thoughts your way, that you will find your Greek home at Tech!
Old 01-28-2003, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Well im not really sure since we dont go to the houses as a group ots hard to tell who is a rushee from the members. I dont know anyone else going through informal so i dont know how the other girls feel. I however am nervous about AXO tonight, but the girls i know there are awesome so im sure it will be alot of fun !!! Im just crossing my fingers !!