GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,028
2 members and 1,026 guests
LarryByday

Old 07-14-2011, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Auburn Fraternity Rush-Out of State Student

fsdg

Last edited by mmccarthy7; 03-15-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-14-2011, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccarthy7 View Post
Hi, everyone! I'm brand new to this board. I'm from Massachusetts and just graduated high school this past May and I will be attending Auburn University.

I'm well-aware that Auburn has a very good Greek Life system and basically, is it hard to receive a bid from a Fraternity at Auburn as an out-of-state student? Especially being from the North (North East)?

Some basic facts about myself:

-I graduated with a 3.35GPA and a 1200SAT (out of 1600) and an 1800SAT (out of 2400)-I was in the top 30% of my graduating class (216 kids)
-I went to one of the more prestigious schools in Massachusetts and New England: A Xaverian Brothers sponsored school (Conservative, Catholic, All-Male school)
-I was an Honor Roll student every quarter in high school, and I was a National Honor Society Student
-Throughout my four years of high school I worked about an average of 30 hours a week, and saved about $52,000
-My family is middle-class; like literally, the definition of middle-class
-I applied to 12 schools (Auburn, South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Missouri, Florida, TCU, Kentucky, Tennessee, College of Charleston and UMass-Amherst) and got accepted by every school

-I helped out with the Special Olympics Basketball team in my town for 3 years
-I was an active participant in the Business Club and a religious/fellowship club at school
-Politically speaking, I am not a Liberal like many people in New England, I'm a pretty serious Conservative.
-I'm a very hard-worker (as evident by working nearly every single week all 4 years of high school and still making a B+ average). I'm down-to-earth, am very social (I do drink like all high school kids do, but I don't make a habit of getting wasted 24/7) and I've wanted to go down south for college, especially Auburn, which has been my dream school ever since I can remember.
-I'm a HUGE college football fan (as well as all sports), and have been ever since I was born (dad raised me as a Notre Dame fan, but Auburn is my team, although I love the Irish as well). I'm aware that college football is like a religion and very hard-core in the south, and I cannot wait to experience that.

I plan on moving in early to get somewhat of a head start on the rushing process. Especially since I do not know a single person in a fraternity at Auburn.

I've done some research and have heard good things about the following Fraternities: SAE, Sigma Nu, Sigma Chi, Beta Theta Pi, Phi Gamma Delta, Lambda, ATO, KA and Theta Chi. I definitely plan on going to the parties at these houses, as well as others, and getting to know as many of the members as I can.

Being from the very liberal state of Massachusetts (although I'm a pretty big conservative), and given these facts I have provided, will it be difficult for me to get into a Fraternity at Auburn this fall? I'm aware that some fraternities usually consist of members that are pretty well-off financially (Phi Gamma Delta-FIJI), and others that take pretty much only kids from the south (KA, SAE, etc.).

Any information/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
TMI, so QFP.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned

If only life was so formulaic.

Quote:
-Throughout my four years of high school I worked about an average of 30 hours a week, and saved about $52,000
Interesting.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

hmm. roll tide
Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaj View Post
hmm. roll tide
LOL...Bama's a good school and it was nice to visit the campus (obviously before the tornado). Out of the 12 schools, I really liked 8 of them-Auburn, Bama, UGA, UF, Clemson, South Carolina, TCU and Mizzou...with 4 of them a cut above the rest (in order)

1.) Auburn
2.) South Carolina
3.) Alabama
4.) Georgia

It was a tough call between Auburn and SC, and I got my letter from SC first, and I would have been perfectly content going there, but when the Auburn letter came in the mail I was about as happy as I've ever been in my entire life.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

You've given out too much identifying information about yourself. It took me all of a couple seconds in Google to find way more information on you than I ever wanted to know. There are alums and actives in groups at Auburn on this board, so I really suggest exercising more caution in what you reveal.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucgreek View Post
You've given out too much identifying information about yourself. It took me all of a couple seconds in Google to find way more information on you than I ever wanted to know. There are alums and actives in groups at Auburn on this board, so I really suggest exercising more caution in what you reveal.
Oh, I'm aware of that. You didn't think I'd be stupid enough to give out all of my personal information, would you? A good percentage of what I've written above is not accurate. The only thing I will admit is that I will be attending Auburn University in the fall of 2011.

My main point is, is it hard to get a bid being from out-of-state?

Last edited by mmccarthy7; 07-14-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh, I'm aware of that. You didn't think I'd be stupid enough to give out all of my personal information, would you? A good percentage of what I've written above is not accurate. The only thing I will admit is that I will be attending Auburn University in the fall of 2011.

My main point is, is it hard to get a big being from out-of-state?
You're full of shit. Already.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A good percentage of what I've written above is not accurate. The only thing I will admit is that I will be attending Auburn University in the fall of 2011.

My main point is, is it hard to get a big being from out-of-state?
The bolded was very easy to figure out. But hey, it's your rush.

To answer your question: Yes. SEC schools, including Auburn, have summer rush parties. Unless you're from the area or are in areas where these parties are held, you are already at a large disadvantage for many groups. It's common for several 'top' groups to have done almost all of their recruiting via these summer rush parties. If you're not looking at the 'top' groups, though, it won't hurt you as bad.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaj View Post
hmm. roll tide
At least Bama made the cut.

Go Cats!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

My main point is, is it hard to get a bid being from out-of-state?
My roommate stole my computer!!!!!!!!!

Why do they always say crap like this?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
You're full of shit. Already.
Mystery Greek has spoken.

This OP + the other thread = creative writing exercise(s) by someone much older than 18.

*yawn*
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-15-2011, 07:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Even if this troll was for real...

why post all of that bs if what he would want is an honest answer to his question, when our answers would be skewed due to his false information?

Some people have WAY too much time on their hands.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Mystery Greek has spoken.

This OP + the other thread = creative writing exercise(s) by someone much older than 18.

*yawn*
I am all seeing and all knowing.

We haven't had aspirants/PNMs who shared too much in a very long time. These threads are keeping GC fun.