GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,627
2 members and 1,625 guests
flamboyanttree, gatordeltapgh

Old 06-13-2006, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JocelynC
I don't think anyone should mention GPA exceptions because those are NOT the norm, and I wouldn't want to give ucfpmn the impression that grade exceptions occur all the time. What if she mistakenly went into recruitment thinking " Oh even though my GPA is low I've still got a good chance to get a bid because sororities with fewer members will make grade exceptions for me"?

UCF is a competitive recruitment and I just don't see houses making GPA exceptions alot. The top GPA chapters won't want to take someone that will bring down their GPA, and the middle and lower GPA chapters probably want their GPA to improve, so they wouldn't be looking to make exceptioons either.
Very true. Even at my small rush, not-very-competitive school, GPA exceptions were rare. We had maybe a few (we won grades frequently so we weren't SUPER concerned usually) during my 3 years active. And I believe that some groups have to request special permission in order to invite GPA risks to pref.

A high GPA can make you stand out and can only be a benefit. A low GPA can and will hurt you. Some groups may just make a straight cut, right off the bat, of women below their grade averages. Especially at a competitive school with tons of great women rushing, initial cuts have to be made somehow. GPA isn't something that's going to change once other sisters meet a girl.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's also fair to say that chapters could be worried that if a girl can't keep her grades up without the commitment of a sorority, how in the world are they going to keep them up AND be in a sorority.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani

Some groups may just make a straight cut, right off the bat, of women below their grade averages.
At my school, that's exactly how we cut after Round 1. When you've only had one day to get to know PNMs, that's the only thing we've got to go on.

Can we get one of our UCF girls in here on this? adpiucf or ZTAngel!

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't remember if you said originally ufpmn, but if there is some outstanding reason why your grades are low, such as a family problem or something like that, you may mention it casually in conversation if grades come up.

"well i had a rough semester because my grandma died and we were close and I had to go home for a while..."

We would even occasionally ask PNMs that we were interested in about their low grades. Most of these girls are smart, especially at our school, but everyone has a rough patch or two.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
While I think that your post was excellent, I don't necessarily agree with these assertions. 3rd Quarter and Bottom Quarter houses may very likely be under pressure to get their grades up. Hence, they may be aiming for girls with better GPAs to help fill this need. A PNM with a low GPA may only drag them down further.
I agree. The decision to cut may not even be left up to them.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
While I think that your post was excellent, I don't necessarily agree with these assertions. 3rd Quarter and Bottom Quarter houses may very likely be under pressure to get their grades up. Hence, they may be aiming for girls with better GPAs to help fill this need. A PNM with a low GPA may only drag them down further.
As I said I was only trying to put together some ballpark estimates based on my personal experience as well as annecdotal experience I've heard from other advisors across the country. Rather than using the word "probably" I should have said possibly.

While I agree whole-heartedly with your point, something else I pointed out was that if a Chapter has been consistantly in the lower GPA rankings it would be very hard for them competition-wise with new PNMs to make a drastic change in their minimum for one year. That's why looking at long term rankings and the movements up or down of any one Chapter is important. But it also doesn't reflect a renewed committment to academic excellence.

Folks are 100% correct in that sometimes these minimum cut off decisions can be taken out of the Chapter's hands. Of course the "public" will never know if/when that occurs.

All I was trying to do was to give folks something to at least look at, meaning the Panhellenic GPA ranks on the campus. It's a starting point, but is by no means accurate nor can it include in all the various internal factors involved.

One more thing that hasn't been pointed out, many of the PNMs are looking very closely at a Chapter's GPA ranking as well. A top notch GPA high school PNM with all sorts of honors and awards is often looking for a sorority that has similar academic priorities. I have heard of many PNMs that cut Chapters due to their GPA rankings in comparison to the other sororities.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Each UCF sorority has to make cuts after Round 1. Those who have had historically higher return rates have to cut an even larger percentage.

Typically, these cuts are made based on pre-recruitment data like your GPA. Similiarly, if you have a criminal record or a questionable character and this has been brought to the attention of a sorority, it will likely end in your being cut from that sorority. These are pretty straight-forward cuts. Being a legacy, having a rec, etc., will help get your through these first cuts, but don't guarantee that you will receive a bid. Some women who have neither recs nor legacy status AND who don't have the grades may get through this round, but she will have to be really outstanding in terms of her extracurriculars, have friends in the chapters, etc.

There are rare cases where a grade risk is invited back and some who are offered bids. This is the exception and not the norm.

The sororities whose minimums are a 3.0 are just that-- a minimum. It does not guarantee a free pass. They may actually cut up to a 3.5 if they have to release a high number of women.

That being said, there are other sororities whose minimum is lower than a 3.0. But I wouldn't worry about any of this-- whose minimum is what. Just be yourself at each sorority event.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini
While I agree whole-heartedly with your point, something else I pointed out was that if a Chapter has been consistantly in the lower GPA rankings it would be very hard for them competition-wise with new PNMs to make a drastic change in their minimum for one year.
No, it wouldn't actually. If they graduated a bunch of seniors who had low GPA's and brought on a bunch of freshmen with high GPA's, the chapter GPA would rise substantially. It's the one aspect of a chapter that CAN change dramatically.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
No, it wouldn't actually. If they graduated a bunch of seniors who had low GPA's and brought on a bunch of freshmen with high GPA's, the chapter GPA would rise substantially. It's the one aspect of a chapter that CAN change dramatically.
Definitely. My chapter went from like next to last in grades (out of 11 groups) in the spring to first in the fall.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf
There are rare cases where a grade risk is invited back and some who are offered bids. This is the exception and not the norm.
This deserves repeating........

If your grades are below the minimum, you will be the exception and not the norm. If there are TONS of girls with grades above the minimum why would a chapter take a grade risk? Most won't do it. Grade minimums are not simply important during recruitment, most organizations keep an eye on the chapter's GPA all year.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Agreed. And from personal experience, our grade risks rarely worked out in the long run... This isn't necessarily true of every UCF sorority, and I honestly think that if a woman keeps her options open, our Panhellenic will make every effort to match her with a sorority. She just needs to be open to the idea that it may likely not be her top choice.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

The term Grade Exception should be fairly self explanatory IMHO. Any exception is just that, an exception to the rule. It's not the norm. It's a rarity, but not an impossibility depending on the GLO, the Chapter and the campus.

A little FYI - over the last several years my Chapter has been slowing moving up it's minimum GPA requirement. Months prior to Recruitment starting, our Exec Board determines whether we want to consider Grade Exceptions or not for the next Formal Recruitment. This way it's based on our current scholarship policy and program and not influenced by any individual PNMs the members have fallen in love with.

Probably half the years we've decided to allow exceptions and half not. In the allowed years though, we only considered GPAs a few tenths below the minimum. Ironically none of those candidates have made it into our pledge classes. Most of the time the PNMs ended up dropping us. Go figure.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for posting that link!!! Keep in mind, however, that this doesn't necessarily indicate their actual chapter/recruitment GPA requirements or minimums. The Office of Greek Life should have these numbers.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

UCFPNM, I'm truly sorry if any of my comments have discouraged you. I hope you still plan on going through Recruitment. However I must remind you that you asked the question and I and others have tried to be straight forward with you.

I shall leave you with what all PNMs and actives need to remember and something I remind my women of all the time. Sororities and extra-cirricular activities a great and should be enjoyed. But one must never lose sight of the real reason they are going to school and that is to get a good education.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfpnm
But I figure nothing's worse than a chance not taken.
That's the best attitude to have for everything in life!