GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 759
0 members and 759 guests
No Members online

Old 09-15-2007, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

A new recruitment story/New member introduction! :)

Hey everyone! I've been lurking for quite a few months learning all I can about the greek system and now I am in the middle of recruitment. I don't want to give away what school I go to, or my name, sorry, I've learned my lesson and I'm being super secretive!!

The only thing I'm giving away is there are 8 sororities on campus currently. Since 3rd rounds are tomorrow, I will give you the details from the past two days! I am so nervous about getting the call tomorrow to find out what houses I am going to for 3rd rounds!!!

Naming the sororites (in no particular order) after my favorite designer denim, which I'm sure has been done before but Im lacking creativity after my long days...

Here goes and happy to be here!

Houses:
Sevens
Citizens
Habitual
True Religion
Rock n Republic
Miss Me
Paige
Joe's

First Rounds: Were split into two different days, 4 houses each day...

Paige:
This was my first house out of everything so of course I was so nervous and so shaky. I felt okay at this house the girls seemed really diverse and I got really caught up in the whole idea of recruitment right from the start. Their song was so cute and they all looked/seemed so different...almost the anti-sorority sorority, if that makes sense. I just wasn't sure if that was my cup of tea.

Sevens:
One of my roommates, who I just met this year moving in with her, is in this sorority, so I've met several of her friends along the way, and have really liked them all. This house made me feel so relaxed because girls that I knew were coming by to say hi and this made me feel so at ease. These girls are typically good girls that know how to have fun, so it fits my personality, but by luck of the draw I was paired with mostly girls I already knew so I was looking forward to meeting girls I didn't know to see how I would fit in with them.

Habitual: This chapter is small and so so so akward. I always go into things with an open mind, and have friends in this sorority at other schools so I definitely don't look down on the sorority in general, but here at my school they are just not with it. The conversations were forced, I was asking the girl all kinds of questions just to keep a convo flowing, and the girl who was with me was also in my rho chi group, so we basically talked to each other to avoid akward silences. Definitely my least favorite.

Rock n Republic: WOW! Could not believe the energy in this house, especially after a long day! They were so friendly, so high energy and several of the girls and I laughed about silly stuff. I felt like the convos went further and more easily than the basic "who are you" kind of stuff. Really met a couple of girls that I hit it off with, just really had a great feeling about them. Also, one of their philanthropy efforts is something so near and dear to me that it really meant a lot.

Joes: Really loved thier basement, loved the house, loved the girls, had great and easy convos with all of the girls I spoke to, however, they don't take upperclassmen, so I knew I would be dropped from them immediately, which I wasn't supposed to know but I did. I went in and treated them totally the same, and was actually really relaxed because I knew there was no pressure. Disappointed I wouldn't be given a chance there, because I could really see myself there!

Miss Me: Going in, I had really high hopes for this one, and really really was excited about it. I had good conversations, but the girl that was recruiting me wasn't feeling well and actually had to excuse herself for a second, which left me akwardly standing with girls that weren't supposed to be rushing me, so it kind of let me down because I felt I wasn't given a fair chance to connect with the girls there. This is a great sorority though, just disappointed in how my time was spent there, definitely got a bad luck of the draw.

True Religion: Had heard a lot of tent talk about this chapter, and definitely had let it get into my head a little, but seriously LOVED this place. Couldn't believe what I had heard was directed towards these girls, I felt really at home and was laughing and joking the whole time. Liked everyone I met, and even though this group is a little "cookie cutter" as far as girls, I still got a good feeling.

Citizens:
One of my other roommates is in this sorority, and through random connections I know several other girls in this house. I really enjoyed their recruitment theme, and was happy that I got girls I didn't already know to talk to for first rounds. Definitely has easy going conversations and learned a lot about the sorority, these are kind of the "good girls", no one really talks badly about them but they don't really generate any kind of buzz either, which is DEFINITELY not a bad thing. It felt really great when girls I knew were waving across the room saying just to say hi...

Next post....Day Two!!

Old 09-15-2007, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck - sounds like you are having a great recruitment overall!
Old 09-15-2007, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Day Two:

We were allowed back to up to 6 houses today so I was SO excited to get the phone call this morning saying I had been invited back to 6!! My only disappointment was that I was dropped by Miss Me, which was sad because I knew that they were right up my alley, just got the short end of the stick when it came to recruitment. So I got dropped from Miss Me and Joe's which was to be expected because of their upperclassmen rules.

I was invited back to:
Sevens
Citizens
Habitual
True Religion
Rock n Republic
Paige

My thoughts on today (in no order):

Sevens: Got to talk to several girls that weren't people I had already met so that gave me a little more of a feel for the sorority. Their video/slideshow was SO CUTE, such a great theme and a cute idea. All of the girls have been incredibly easy to talk to. I have several concerns here though...one is that I feel like this sorority is full of women that are like me as I am NOW, not as the woman I want to become, which is a really important difference. As well, even though I believe things should be taken seriously, I feel like they are TOO serious about some stuff and it takes away some of the fun, which really concerns me.

Citizens: Once again, got paired with different girls besides ones I knew which was really nice to get a better feel of who all is in the sorority. This is a really big mix, lots of diversity, which is good. Their video was really boring though, even though it was philanthropy day, the video dragged on too long and became really monotone...their slide shows were poorly put together and kind of boring as well. The girls were really nice and I can see myself here in some ways, but once again I feel like it is more like who I am at the moment, like I would just slide in and not really challenge myself.

Habitual: Once again, painfully akward. Their crafts were lacking supplies and were totally pointless, the girls were akward and forced, they asked wierd questions and I just got a horrible vibe. I feel bad for them because no one really wants to be there, but it is not because we are mean girls, its that thier conversational skills are so so lacking. Definitely still my least favorite.

True Religion: Once again, LOVED this place. So cute, the sisters seem so close with each other which is a really big deal for me. They all seemed genuine, and even though a lot of them are from the same area, they were all so welcoming, a couple of the girls said hi that I had seen the day before which made me feel great. I really hope I get invited back here, as it was definitely one of my top choices. Really see myself here.

Rock n Republic: WOW! AGAIN! These girls just keep blowing me away. I had great convos all day, it was so easy going never a moments silence. I was so touched because a member of executive came up to me and mentioned a characteristic that we both shared that I couldn't believe she had noticed when I was at the house two days ago. I hadn't even spoken with her the first day, and she made the effort to come up and point out something we shared on her own. Made me feel so welcome. Their slideshow was incredible and the girls were tearing up, almost made me tear up I really loved this place. There are rumors they don't take upperclassmen, and I really hope that that isn't true!!!

Paige: Today went a little better but the girls were still kind of all over the place, I guess that was my biggest issue, was that by being a "non-sorority" sorority, they actually were kind of disorganized and I felt like they weren't very close with each other at all. Definitely didn't feel as at home as I did at others...

So after today I ranked:

Rock n Republic
True Religion
Citizens
Sevens
Paige
Habitual

Miss Me
Joe's
(We had to rank the other ones even though we had been dropped)

Iam so incredibly nervous about the phone call tomorrow morning, I don't know what I am going to do with myself all night!!! Please keep your fingers crossed!
Old 09-15-2007, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

[quote=ryleeeee;1520053]Day Two:
So I got dropped from Miss Me and Joe's which was to be expected because of their upperclassmen rules.

quote]

Are you a sophomore and are you a transfer?
Old 09-16-2007, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post

Are you a sophomore and are you a transfer?

Do not feel as though you need to answer this question, especially as you are being so careful [rightfully so!] to conceal your identity.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Ok, it's been a couple of days, where's my update???
Old 09-19-2007, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Ryleeeeeeeeee - Girl, where are you?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Update please?!?!?!

I believe in friendships formed at the spring time of my youth...

Phi Alpha Delta
Old 09-19-2007, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

So sorry guys! I've been caught up in everything recently, just now sitting down to think everything through... the story continued....

I got the call from my rho chi informing me that I had been invited back to a full four houses! So excited of course, I buzz through the day just waiting to go back. My biggest disappointment was that I had been dropped from Rock n Republic, and although I knew they typically didn't take upperclassmen, it still stung a little because I had really made great connectinos. However, life goes on and I still had a full party schedule which was unusual for an upperclassman so I couldn't really complain!

The houses I went back to were:

True Religion
Citizens
Paige
Habitual

True Religion: Loved this place again, knew in my heart this was where I felt the most at home. Just loved chatting with everyone about silly stuff, finding out how close these girls were really made me smile, this was exactly what I was looking for in a house. Skit was HILARIOUS and had me cracking up.

Citizens: Great great great girls, these girls are so genuine and so diverse. This really made an impact on me, but I still felt like this wouldn't be the place to grow for me. I wanted something that was my OWN, and since one of my roomies is in this sorority, I still felt like I was missing something that was mine and mine alone. I could see myself here, but not in the way that I was looking for, if that makes sense. Skit here was pretty funny, they had their stuff together that's for sure.

Paige: Like citizens, these girls were diverse and as I said before I feel like they were almost too diverse, like there was something missing that connected them all. However, they kicked ass when it came to the skit, it was so great, and really showed them being able to make fun of themselves, which was hilarious. It showed another side of the sisters, and they definitely made a better impression on me than other times.

Habitual: Once again, this place is just NOT for me. Their skit was more serious and not funny, I know they put forth effort but they just don't have that spark that brings girls back, and they are akward conversationalists and you just feel wierd being there. However, some girls were just being plain rude and making it clearly known they didn't want to be there. I refuse to do that, because they have worked just as hard, if not harder, to make sure they represent themselves well, and they are NICE girls, so I made as much conversation as I could, and had a decent time overall.

So after today's rounds I ranked:

True Religion
Citizens
Paige
Habitual

haha didn't realize I had written them in that order too!!

Waiting on the phone call.....
Old 09-19-2007, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I get the phone call saying I had been invited back to my top two! True Religion and Citizens! I was so happy I had been getting more and more nervous that because of my status I would be dropped, and even my rho chi seemed impressed at the number of invites our group of upperclassmen had recieved.

My first house of the night was Citizens.

Their pref ceremony was really beautiful, and the girl that preffed me was one I had met earlier in the week who was SO sweet and so genuine. I was touched by how much the sisters seemed to care about each other, but I still felt more like a stranger looking in on the sisterhood versus feeling like I was becoming a PART of it with them. Left with a warm feeling and knew that several of those girls would become my friends whether or not I joined with them in sisterhood.

True Religion
From the moment I stepped in I just felt overwhelmed with being there. It was so somber and quiet and all the sisters looked so beautiful, the pref ceremony was gorgeous and heartfelt and touching and everyone was crying. I knew I belonged here, I knew that this was the house I wanted after going through all the rounds. I left emotional but very sure of my decision.

When I went to rank, I suicided True Religion..now before anyone bites my head off, I knew that that would dramatically lower my chances of finding a home, but I truly felt that if I didn't have a home there, that Citizens would not fill the need that I had. However, there is something brewing on my campus that I can't mention right now but will soon that also factored into my decision.....

Waiting on the phone call.....
Old 09-19-2007, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I recieve a call from my rho chi around noon with bad news. I was not offered a bid to True Religion. I am a strong person who is able to see things for what they are, and I know that there were several factors working against me, and I later found out that most of the upperclassmen had in fact sucided for True Religion. Considering the upperclassmen amount taken is smaller anyway, I just got bumped out. I was really hurt and upset for a few hours, just knowing that bid celebration was going on and here I was alone in my room crying into my pillow.

Today has been hard as all the girls wear their bid day shirts around smiling and laughing with their new friends. It's not easy, I am trying not to take it personally, but its hard sometimes when you know you would have so much to offer a group and for whatever reason they didn't see the same in you.

However, as hard as this has all been, I don't regret the decision for a second and loved every minute of the process. Also, as I stated, there will be more news coming from me.... as everyone states, things happen for a reason.... The only bad thing is that my identity must be kept a secret for a while longer haha
Old 09-19-2007, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I'm sorry to hear that you did not get a bid.

It was hard for me on the day classes started in my sophomore year to see all the girls with their Greek letters and my t-shirt was blank. I even told one guy in APhiO that "as you can see, my t-shirt is blank". He did not make the connection at first and simply said "yeah, but you look great".

Please do check out COB if available.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 09-19-2007, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

ryleeee--Oh that's a bummer!!! But let me just say, you write very well and express yourself beautifully...and you're tactful too! I hope whatever is coming you will find great satisfaction and continue to know that everything happens for a reason.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
I'm sorry to hear that True Religion didn't offer you a bid, but you sure have me on the edge of my seat to hear what's coming next!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Do I smell a colonization?

Loved your story. Sorry it didnt work out with true Religion. Let us know how the other stuff works out.