GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 993
2 members and 991 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 08-15-2019, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is the current list of sorority women who are competing in Miss America 2020. Please let me know if I've missed anyone. Thanks.
https://www.franbecque.com/sorority-...state-winners/
Old 08-18-2019, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post
Here is the current list of sorority women who are competing in Miss America 2020. Please let me know if I've missed anyone. Thanks.
Wow! I love seeing such a variety of GLOs represented!

True and Constant
Old 10-04-2019, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Just found this retrospective of Miss America winners - enjoy!

Miss American Evening Gowns
Old 11-19-2019, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping, because it occurs one month from tonight.....
Old 11-20-2019, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Love the list! Would you be able to fix Miss Colorado's listing to read "Gamma Phi Beta" instead of "Gamma Phi"? Perty please? Thanks!

Just a few more weeks to go! Right now we have about a 50% chance of getting a Greek woman as Miss America again this year!

True and Constant
Old 11-20-2019, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Second!

Miss Colorado's social initiative is Gamma Phi Beta's philanthropic focus: Building Strong Girls! Monica previously worked for the Gamma Phi Beta Foundation and just attended Founders' Day with the Denver Alumnae Chapter.

I thought that was pretty neat, and it made me wonder if any of the other NPC member candidates has a platform that aligns with her sorority's philanthropic focus? Or, in past years? Does anyone know?

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 11-20-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping again, as the (non-televised) preliminary competitions begin with personal interviews on Friday the 13th!

In prior years, contestants were divided into the Mu, Alpha and Sigma groups. This year there are only Mu and Alpha groups, due to time constraints of this year's pageant events and the pageant's new NBC-televised date/location: Thursday December 19 in Connecticut.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Love the list! Would you be able to fix Miss Colorado's listing to read "Gamma Phi Beta" instead of "Gamma Phi"? Perty please? Thanks!

Just a few more weeks to go! Right now we have about a 50% chance of getting a Greek woman as Miss America again this year!
Just saw this message. I just fixed it. Sorry for that error. Multi-tasking isn't all it's cracked up to be!

Am I the only one who thinks this event should still take place in September? It's so odd to have it in December.

And please let me know if I've missed or misidentified anyone. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just saw this message. I just fixed it. Sorry for that error. Multi-tasking isn't all it's cracked up to be!

Am I the only one who thinks this event should still take place in September? It's so odd to have it in December.

Thanks! You always do such a great job and I think we'd be lost without your expertise in GLO history!

True and Constant
Old 12-16-2019, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Did anyone else think that Miss Alabama has an edge because of her name?
Old 12-16-2019, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Did anyone else think that Miss Alabama has an edge because of her name?
Not only do I agree, but I think her talent could be a hot dog eating contest, and she'll make it to the final five!

It's just too cute!
Old 12-16-2019, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Kit Hoover (Chi Omega, UNC) will be co-hosting the Miss America pageant with Mario Lopez.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

[Tangent]
As a child, we had a neighborhood clam bake every September, which just happened to be the same weekend as Miss America and my birthday. I think I was 12 before I realized that it hadn't been planned that way!

The girls and the boys had separate slumber parties, but we all watched Miss America, and kept tabs on who voted for whom in each round.
[/Tangent]
Old 12-31-2019, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't log on here as often as I used to so I'm late to this party. I had been pretty dismissive of these pageants over the last several years because I thought they exacerbated false expectations of beauty and misogyny. I did watch this 2.0 version of Miss America and was very impressed with the changes. I will continue to watch and support. This really demonstrated the strengths and accomplishments of these young women. What a difference!
Old 01-04-2020, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I don't log on here as often as I used to so I'm late to this party. I had been pretty dismissive of these pageants over the last several years because I thought they exacerbated false expectations of beauty and misogyny. I did watch this 2.0 version of Miss America and was very impressed with the changes. I will continue to watch and support. This really demonstrated the strengths and accomplishments of these young women. What a difference!
Totally agree with you! Here's what I wrote in the other "live broadcast" thread:

"My daughter and I really liked it. As we were watching, I could tell that the process and criteria really resonated with her, as someone in the same age bracket and general life situation (vocal performance degree, entering last semester of grad school, starting professional job search, etc.) as the contestants. It was much more modern and meaningful. Frankly, I've seen enough swimsuits in those superficial recruitment videos. I appreciated the focus on accomplishments and academics, instead of "luck of the draw looks."

It was really interesting to see how "into" it GenerallyGreek was. She could totally relate to the contestants. I think they've figured out how to make Miss America relevant to the Millenials and Gen Z women.