GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,207
0 members and 1,207 guests
No Members online

Old 07-22-2008, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Best/Most Elaborate Recruitment Theme

What is the best recruitment theme you have seen? Were any of the parties you attending themed in such an amazing way you still remember it? Which chapter had it and what round was it on?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Back in the days before "no frills" the favorite one my chapter did when I was a sophomore, junior and maybe a senior was a Fashion Show. It started with loud, pumping, popular music as the "rushees" walked into the dark room (chapters don't have houses on my campus) with a spotlight on the catwalk. Once everyone was in the room, the music got quiet and an announcer described the attire of our founders to 1850s music. We then leapt ahead to our chapter's colonization in the 1960's with appropriate music, hippie garb, etc. We followed with music and fashion through the 70s Brady Bunch attire, 80s preppy attire and finished in the 90s with grunge attire (this was mid-1990s afterall). We finished the fashion show with popular music (think Right-Said-Fred and "I'm Too Sexy") describing outfits our members might wear now, such as volleyball jerseys, dance team costumes, garb for library studies, and other organizations our members were involved with. After the fashion show, the lights came up and the room was decorated in all black, white and silver with hundreds of helium balloons. It was our first day of "Rush" and really set the bar high for the other chapters to have to compete with us. I miss frills rush!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry this one is long.

Quote:
the music got quiet and an announcer described the attire of our founders to 1850s music. We then leapt ahead to our chapter's colonization in the 1960's with appropriate music, hippie garb, etc. We followed with music and fashion through the 70s Brady Bunch attire, 80s preppy attire and finished in the 90s with grunge attire (this was mid-1990s afterall).

This reminds me of our "Through the Years" theme for the second round. Skits of ZTA from various eras. I remember poodle skirts for the 50's and tie dye for the 70's--and then the Kenny Rogers song "Through the Years"--Corny, I know! "...I love the life we've made, and I'm so glad I stayed...right here with Zeta...through the years."

I think my favorite was during the 3rd round (8-party). It was a ski-chalet theme. We took comforters off of our beds and covered all of the couches and chairs with them. We would spend the previous Fall semester making paper snowflakes then staying up late into the night covering the walls and furniture with them. Believe it or not, it looked like a winter wonderland in there! This was the late 80s and early 90s when the huge Guatemalan sweaters were all the rage. And we we all wore big sweaters with leggings and even jeans for that party. Everyone had to take a turn at "balloon duty" because we had to blow up enough balloons to cover the ceiling. The house was truly transformed, and many of the girls would comment on it when they walked in. That party was great because it had a really laid-back feel and we always did really well going into the next round.

The next round (4-party) was a "Hollywood" theme. We had stand-up letters that looked like the Hollywood sign outside that spelled out "Zeta" or maybe even "Zeta Tau Alpha", I can't remember. The dress code for the sorority sisters for that party was "red carpet." When PNMs came into the house, the hostess would announce each girl and a sorority member would come and get them. I remember when I went through rush myself--walking into the house, being announced, and looking up on the staircase which was lined with all of these beautiful women in beautiful dresses and feeling very very intimidated (Even Miss Indiana, who was a senior when I was a freshman going through rush, was standing there in a formal gown for goodness sake!). We did great with that one, too, but I never felt that 4-party was a very good representation of the diversity and depth of our house. I think they did, indeed, change the theme of that one after I left and my younger sister was in the house. I'm glad.

Last edited by kreich; 07-22-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

FRILLS is freakin awesome!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ what he said. i want some frills!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
^^^ what he said. i want some frills!
I'm planning decorations for recruitment right now and ommmmg it's gonna be great. (Don't judge, I swear my timing is fine for the way we do things at my school.)
I won't post what I'm thinking here because, hey, it's the internet. But ommmg! Oh, and I've been having dreams about recruitment. I've already had 3 or 4 dreams and we still have 2 months left to go!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck with recruitment decorations LucyKKG! I wouldn't post my ideas for an upcoming recruitment on here either! You never know if someone from your school could be looking! I remember last year one sorority at my school had a giant recruitment binder with all their plans and the rush chair left it somewhere. Turns out another sorority found it and had access to all their plans! How terrible!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

My favorite round last year was our skit round. We did a "CHICAGO" theme and decked the chapter room out in red and black. There were also lots of sequins. The whole place had a great nite club feel to it. On each table we had really elaborate center pieces with fish in them. Sounds like a good idea, but what we learned is NO LIVE ANIMALS IN RECRUITMENT! Our fish started dying before the PNMs got in the door! They kept floating to the top of the center peices and turning upside down. It was horrible yet sort of funny. All of our girls started trying to rescue them and get the out of the center pieces so that the PNMs wouldn't see them! We got most out, but there were some that stayed and died during the recruitment party. It was horrible but memorable!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter did a "Leader of the Pack" skit which did a good job helping us recruit girls who fit in well with our chapter. Everyone else had sweet, cute or sentimental themes, but ours was very funny and a little edgy and helped differentiate us (some girls were dressed in 50's skirts, but others had rolled up jeans and white t-shirts with cigarettes rolled up in the sleeves). Tended to put-off the sweeter girls, but it did help the more outgoing ones realize that we might be the place for them.

A little off-topic, but Kreich's post just reminded me of a GREAT social we had with the same ski-lodge theme!! I haven't thought about that for years, and have no idea what fraternity it was, but I remember we all got to wear our cutest ski sweaters and drink hot spiked cider (yeah, the joys of going to school pre-risk management). It was REALLY cold at Penn State in the winter, so they just turned down the heat so we didn't roast in all that wool). Plus a lot of the houses had fireplaces, and it was a good excuse for the guys to have a fire going (again with the risk management) Thanks for the great memory Kreich!! I'm going to have to ask about that at an upcoming reunion and see if anyone else emembers it.

Last edited by LionTamer; 07-23-2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: claification
Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
I'm planning decorations for recruitment right now and ommmmg it's gonna be great. (Don't judge, I swear my timing is fine for the way we do things at my school.)
I won't post what I'm thinking here because, hey, it's the internet. But ommmg! Oh, and I've been having dreams about recruitment. I've already had 3 or 4 dreams and we still have 2 months left to go!
you know, youre not helping. thanks.