GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,206
0 members and 1,206 guests
No Members online

Old 10-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII_LB93 View Post
Out here I've only every been to Founder's Day celebrations in February...probably because the 8th of Dec. falls right around finals for a lot of schools.
Here in WI we also have Founders' Day celebration in February - and I think MN has theirs in November. . .
Old 10-17-2009, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

My collegiate chapter religiously had Founders' Day on Stella's birthday which had been a concession to make it easier for chapters to have the celebrations on the same day since Jan 2nd wasn't so easy. Maybe it's time to dump Dec 8th (Love ya, Stella!) and just focus on the real founding date and make our celebrations sometime in the spring.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendelta View Post
Tri Delta considers it's Founder's Day (for celebration purposes) as "Thanksgiving Eve" and not a specific day. In 1888 Thanksgiving Eve happened to fall on November 27. This year, if you want to wish a Tri Delta "Happy Founder's Day!" it will be on November 25.
I've always loved the uniqueness of Tri Delta's "Thanksgiving Eve" founding. I picture women having to spend Thanksgiving at school, a long way from home, but having their sisters with them.

As for the debate of the Adelphean Society/Alpha Delta Pi and the Philomathean Society/Phi Mu, look at it this way: When the Normans took over England, they enslaved the English. The English got to take slaughter the animals, then serve the cooked animal to their Norman leaders (who spoke French). So, what the English called a cow in the field became boeuf when served for dinner. The English chicken became poultry (poulet). The cow and the chicken were still the same cow and chicken, but with new names - the animals didn't change. I would have much rather used vegetables (I am not responsible for what will happen to the first person to compare either of the Macon Magnolias to cows!) but I was taught this with the animal references.

The Adelphean and Philmathean Societies simply changed their names to go with the fashion. Their rituals remain the same - always have, always will.

I hope I don't have to add the caveat that I am not a Phi Mu, and therefore am making assumptions that they took the same road that Alpha Delta Pi did, concerning ritual!
Old 08-20-2012, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I've always loved the uniqueness of Tri Delta's "Thanksgiving Eve" founding. I picture women having to spend Thanksgiving at school, a long way from home, but having their sisters with them.

As for the debate of the Adelphean Society/Alpha Delta Pi and the Philomathean Society/Phi Mu, look at it this way: When the Normans took over England, they enslaved the English. The English got to take slaughter the animals, then serve the cooked animal to their Norman leaders (who spoke French). So, what the English called a cow in the field became boeuf when served for dinner. The English chicken became poultry (poulet). The cow and the chicken were still the same cow and chicken, but with new names - the animals didn't change. I would have much rather used vegetables (I am not responsible for what will happen to the first person to compare either of the Macon Magnolias to cows!) but I was taught this with the animal references.

The Adelphean and Philmathean Societies simply changed their names to go with the fashion. Their rituals remain the same - always have, always will.

I hope I don't have to add the caveat that I am not a Phi Mu, and therefore am making assumptions that they took the same road that Alpha Delta Pi did, concerning ritual!
Just to be confusing, we celebrate Founders' Day on March 4, though we were founded on January 4.