GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,148
4 members and 2,144 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 02-17-2005, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Question "Something of Value" program

The advisors for my chapter are encouraging us to look into a program called "Something of Value." I did some research about this online, but it costs a lot of money, and I'm curious just how effective it is.

Has anyone's school done this program? If so, how did you feel about it? Was it worth the effort to plan it? Was it valuable to ALL the sororities involved?

Basically I was hoping to talk to some people that had done it, or heard about it, anything you can tell me would be great!

Thanks so much!

And for those of you as in the dark as I was, here's a quick overview from www.npcwomen.org/college/c_sov.php :

"The Something of Value program is an initiative solely of the National Panhellenic Conference. It is a values-based approach to risk management education for collegians. The day-long program is led by a traveling team of NPC representatives and an attorney with NPC affiliation. Program format includes group discussions of values, a mock trial, and teaching confrontation skills. Participants identify risky behaviors such as abusive relationships, substance abuse, academic dishonesty, eating disorders, financial mismanagement, hazing, harassment, personal safety concerns, and other issues specific to their campus environment. Action plans are developed and collegians are empowered to follow-through. Contributions to Something of Value support presentations from coast to coast."
Old 02-18-2005, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe our collegians did it, but I'm not sure. NPC could probably give you some people to contact about it who had done it. You could also call our IH and ask the Member Services folks if they have any opinions from our members. 303-799-1874
Old 02-18-2005, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a "Something of Value" presentation at our convention a few years ago.
The storyline presented was about an individual sorority member (Susie) getting intoxicated at a fraternity party and subsequently killed in a car crash that night. Susie's parents sued the school; the fraternity; and (even though it was not an official sorority event) the sorority members present at the party, the sorority president and the advisor (both of whom were not present at the party). We witnessed the "trial" where the various sorority sisters, the president, etc. were called to the stand to testify. The audience served as the jury and afterwards we broke into groups for discussion. It gave a very powerful message... definitely an eye-opener.
One of my sisters is a lawyer and has trained to be a "Something of Value" facilitator and has mentioned that there are other risk management scenarios.

As far as cost, the NPC website suggests having each sorority chapter pay a registration fee for their members to attend. If you are willing to have the other chapters on your campus participate, this might help lessen the cost.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I advise at Penn and their Panhel had a Something of Value presentation in the fall. From what I've heard, it was very well received!
Old 02-20-2005, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: "Something of Value" program

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal026
The advisors for my chapter are encouraging us to look into a program called "Something of Value." I did some research about this online, but it costs a lot of money, and I'm curious just how effective it is.
As far as the price of it goes...I know that AZD Nationals has a grant that you can apply for to put on a program for your school. The Something of Value program was put on a couple years ago at my school. I wasn't very involved then so I didn't go but from what I've heard it's a great program. Look at you national website and see if they have any grants that you could apply for to put it on. That would certainly help!
Old 02-20-2005, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I did something of value when I was a pledge. If you do it, I would suggest bringing pledges (oops, sorry, new members) so that they can understand why there are "so many rules" involved with being in a Panhellenic. I don't think we paid for it, but like I said I was a new member at the time, so I'm not sure. I think Sorority Council paid for it. It was open to all sororities, and I think fraternities, but I don't remember guys being there.

Basically, the program explains who all gets sued if something happens, why you need to take extra precautions when holding an alcohol-involved event, etc... It was pretty neat and very informative. When I did it, they brought me because I was very involved in my pledge class and they thought I would be influential to the other girls. Other than me, there was our Director of House Management, President, vp:social standards, and I think the rest were honor board members (jeez, I've been out too long... that is what our standards board is called, right?). I'd reccommend it... Just invite a bunch of different groups if the cost is what is stopping you.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by elizlang_ast
We had a "Something of Value" presentation at our convention a few years ago.
The storyline presented was about an individual sorority member (Susie) getting intoxicated at a fraternity party and subsequently killed in a car crash that night. Susie's parents sued the school; the fraternity; and (even though it was not an official sorority event) the sorority members present at the party, the sorority president and the advisor (both of whom were not present at the party). We witnessed the "trial" where the various sorority sisters, the president, etc. were called to the stand to testify. The audience served as the jury and afterwards we broke into groups for discussion. It gave a very powerful message... definitely an eye-opener.
One of my sisters is a lawyer and has trained to be a "Something of Value" facilitator and has mentioned that there are other risk management scenarios.

As far as cost, the NPC website suggests having each sorority chapter pay a registration fee for their members to attend. If you are willing to have the other chapters on your campus participate, this might help lessen the cost.
We had that too at our convention in 2002...........(maybe 2000). I had completely forgotten about it.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ASTDD2002
I'm the new Panhellenic President on my campus, and was given the information about "Something of Value" for us to hopefully do next semester. I know it costs a lot of money, but luckily, we can apply for an allocation from our Student Government Union for it. It looks to be a great idea and program, but I would also like to hear from organizations who have (co)sponsored it on their respective campuses, and hear about how well it went over.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

We're doing this program in the fall, and I'm really looking forward to it.