GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,330
4 members and 1,326 guests
aaidativanovoz6, MSKKG

Old 09-15-2001, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

When Do You Wear Your Badge/Pin?

I had planned this question a few days ago, but with GC being out and Tuesday's events, I thought that I would ask.

Other than fraternity/sorority events like Initiation, Convention, Feast of Roses, etc. when/where do you wear your Greek badge/pin ?

Someone on www.alphagam.net had proposed that badges/pins be worn 10/17 with red/white/blue ribbons around them. Perhaps other Greek organizations could do it also to show support for our Greek and non-Greek extended families.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-15-2001, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GmuTeke
Personally. I wear my badge whenever I am in "badge attire" (ie nice shirt and usually a tie to go with it). But guys need something to stand out in their wadrobe, and the simple TKE pin does nicely.

Since my job is business casual however, I'm most often in badge attire for official functions.

Our chapter has been wearing our badges recently with black ribbons behind them, to signify mourning for those lost in the tragedy, but the red white and blue seems much more joyous.
Old 09-16-2001, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I know that appearances can be deceiving, but it makes me wonder why the 50+ viewers to this thread have not posted.
Old 09-16-2001, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Star Turtle
Post I like that idea

I like the idea of wearing read white and blue ribbons behind my badge. I know that formal rush starts for us today, and I have a ribbon that I plan on wearing all week. It's kinda informal, so it just goes with everything. as for wearing my badge on 10/17, I could be wrong, but I think that we are only allowed to wear OUR colors (like on founders day) or black (when a member dies) under our badge at any time. Still, i think it's a great idea

Jessica
Old 09-16-2001, 10:24 AM

I like the idea in theory. I'm not sure how well it would go over at my office, though (too many GDI's )

Why 10/17? Is that AGD's Founders Day? Perhaps a different day would be more appropriate (if we make this an all-Greek thing) - how about 10/11, one month after the tragedy?

Star Turtle, I've never heard of restrictions on the colors you wear with your badge. On my campus, we had a monthly Panhel badge day, when all sorority members would wear their badges with a blue ribbon (we picked blue because no sorority on campus had that as one of their colors) - no problems there. How about wearing your badge with a separate red/white/blue ribbon?
Old 09-16-2001, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Gamma Delta was founded on May 30, 1904.

I think that October 17th was chosen because it would be the first Monday (full weekday) after the tragedy.
Old 09-16-2001, 01:08 PM

Question AGDLynn, do you mean Oct 17th or Sept 17th?

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDLynn
I think that October 17th was chosen because it would be the first Monday (full weekday) after the tragedy.
I only ask as the terrorist attacks took place on September 11th.
Can you clarify the date please? Thank you so much......
Old 09-16-2001, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: When Do You Wear Your Badge/Pin?

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDLynn

Other than fraternity/sorority events like Initiation, Convention, , etc. when/where do you wear your Greek badge/pin ?

Basically, that 's the only time. For official, special purposes.

Now, in regards to what you are talking about, if one would want to do that, they would need to use ANOTHER unoffical "pin", unless mandated/advised by our Directorate.
Old 09-16-2001, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Sept. 17th

Oh, I am so sorry!! It just registered what you meant about October and not September! I have been trying to schedule some other October events.

Yes, I believe the ribbon wearing is tomorrow, September 17th.
Old 09-16-2001, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOPIHottie Send a message via Yahoo to AOPIHottie
AGDLynn, is that something your chapter or national is doing? Or was it something mentioned for Greek wide?
Old 09-16-2001, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I first heard of it on an AGD site as a suggestion, but later I heard that 1 or 2 other campuses' entire Greek organizations were doing it.
Old 09-16-2001, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Star Turtle
Colored Ribbons

Yea, I remember reading that we may only wear our colors on founders day, or the day of our chapters founding, or black if a member has died, but I'm sure a national member was in the WTC or the Pentagon, so I think that will be okay - besides, I doubt that anyone would protest it - just remember reading it.
Old 09-17-2001, 12:32 AM

OK... To all AGD's ~ AGD was not represented on my campus, so I had no idea when AGD's Founders' Day was. I took a guess based on the date AGDLynn suggested.

Anyway ~ Oct. 11 (which is a Thursday) is 1 month after the tragedy; and I feel this would be a highly appropriate day for an all-Greek "let's all wear our badges with red/white/blue ribbons and show our solidarity" event. I am sure (sad as I am to say it) that members of almost every GLO were lost in the terrorist attack.
Old 09-17-2001, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyleggedsigma Send a message via Yahoo to crazyleggedsigma
I'm wearing it right now! Tri Sigmas are wearing badges with colors today (Monday) in honor of the installation of Eta Nu Chapter at Rampano College, Mahwah, NJ
Sigmas wear them for Founder's Day, Chapter Installations, campus founding anniversaries, and ritual events.

We, as the other chapters on our campus, wear badge attire every Wednesday. Southeast Greeks wear badge attire to Minimum Standards events (educational programs put on by PHC and IFC). We are very lucky to have the full, enthusiastic support of our campus administration, faculty, and staff, so we are proud to wear our insignia and letters everywhere.

Personally, I wear it whenever I dress up, Wednesday or not. Why have such a gorgeous piece of jewelery that you never wear? I'm proud of it and love when people take a closer look. Of course, I always wear in in a respectful manner with sharp clothes and polite behavior. I think wearing it helps me carry myself better and watch how I act.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Mostly, I'd wear my badge to formal events - chapter, formal dances, initiations, and I wore it every day of our national conference this past summer.