GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,544
0 members and 2,544 guests
No Members online

Old 07-13-2003, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

First year rushers

Ok, Ok, we give out thousands of tidbits of advice to our GC PNM's who are nervous about going through rush. But what about those of us who will be rushing on the other side for the first year and are just as nervous? Can some of the more experienced rushers in the group give any suggestions to those of us who are new to the sorority side of rush? I think it would be just as helpful!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-13-2003, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Remember that the girls are just as nervous as you are (probably more), so take deep breaths and just relax. Come up with a few interesting topics beforehand to discuss (ie something cool you did during the summer, recent interesting movies, cool things to do in town) that will jump-start conversations and not be the trite "So, what dorm are you living in?"
Old 07-13-2003, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

i always like to take my cues from older sisters who have not only been through rush before on the sister-side but also like it a whole lot! the sisters that enjoy formal rush the most will have the best advice regarding conversation starters and meeting girls and getting them interested in our particular sorority...regarding conversations, a lot of sororities know what NOT to talk about, but i find it helpful to make lists of questions TO talk about as each round progresses...it's also good to remember that even though the questions may get boring for some rushees, it's all about your delivery: excitement is contagious after all and even though they may hear the same question over and over again from different houses, it's your response or your follow-up anecdote that makes the conversation sparkle
Old 07-13-2003, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the great tips so far! I agree w/ Chloe- I'll be on "the other side" of recruitment for the first time this fall, and while I'm a little nervous, I'm so excited for it- hopefully all of us will have great experiences
Old 07-13-2003, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I've only been through informal rush on the other side once, and formal not at all, but I think it's definitely a good idea to have some of what AXOKatie called "follow-up anecdotes" prepared for a lot of the more common questions. For example, when I was talking to a girl during spring rush and I asked her what dorm she lived in, I'd talk about one of my friends who lived there and their crazy roommate, which would get us onto the "crazy roommate" story track, or I'd talk about my experience living in the only all-girls' dorm on campus and how I thought I'd hate it but I ended up loving it. Or if I asked about their brothers and sisters, I'd start talking about how my 16-year-old sister just started driving, and that would get us talking about their family or about some crazy driving stories. Basically, any anecdote that can get you off the "What's your major?/What dorm do you live in?/How do you like rush so far?" path and onto more interesting conversation is good -- it'll make your house stand out to the rushees and it'll let you get to know the rushee better.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to all you first time rushers! I hope you have a wonderful time on "this side" of recruitment! I'd love to read your stories as well as all the pnm's! Anything rush is exciting to me!
Old 07-14-2003, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

My most important piece of advice is not to ask the PNM the ever ominous and irritating question: "So, do you have any questions?" It's something that far too many women fall back on when they can't think of anything more intelligent to ask. It was one of my hugest pet peeves as a PNM and as the recruitment chair.

I know there are some shy girls out there who need that opportunity to ask a question, but for the most part in my experience, these young women will ask questions if they have any.

Come up with some original questions of your own, to where if you can't think of anything else to say, you have this "back pocket" question that you can ask...for example, "Did you go to any concerts this summer? What is your favorite type of music?"

Do yourself, and the young woman the favor of not asking what year in school she is, or what her major is-- I felt that at the end of day one when I rushed that if someone asked me that question again I was going to scream as they could have read that off my application.

Finally, make a friend...that is what these women are here to do, make eye contact with them, and for goodness sake remember their names!!! And don't be touchy feely with the girl if you don't feel that she is that kind of girl, it just makes some people feel uncomfortable. Have fun...recruitment was the absolute BEST part of being a collegiate, and I encourage those of you who are new or are considering it, to really think about becoming a recruitment chairperson.

I am now stepping down off of my soap box.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow AOII_LB93 you must be an excellent rusher! the PNMs must have thought you were so down to earth and relaxed!
Old 07-14-2003, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ToBeSororityGrl
Wow AOII_LB93 you must be an excellent rusher! the PNMs must have thought you were so down to earth and relaxed!
Hmmm, I don't know how to take that, good or bad*lol*? I've just been through a lot of recruitments. It's something that I have picked up through the past 8 rushes( I missed one because I had just become and alumna and needed a rest), rush workshops and from my experience. I can't think of more fun than recruitment, does that make me an utter sicko, psycho, or just your run of the mill ex-recruitment chair?
Old 07-14-2003, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Awesome topic chloe!!

This will be my first time at recruitment on the 'other side' and I am both nervous & excited!!!!
Old 07-14-2003, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOII_LB93
Hmmm, I don't know how to take that, good or bad*lol*? I've just been through a lot of recruitments. It's something that I have picked up through the past 8 rushes( I missed one because I had just become and alumna and needed a rest), rush workshops and from my experience. I can't think of more fun than recruitment, does that make me an utter sicko, psycho, or just your run of the mill ex-recruitment chair?
I meant it as good. I've haven't read about someone really trying to make the PNM feel so comfortable and not ask those dreadful questions "which dorm?" and so forth
Old 07-14-2003, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to have to fall back on the old cliche "keep an open mind" we tell it all the time to PNMs.. but I think sisters need to hear it too.
don't make any snap judgments... even if on first impression there is a girl that you think is "IF-y" at first keep talking and getting to know her, you can find sisters in women who at the beginning of the week you weren't too impressed with !!
Also I think we should all try to remember that we have to share about ourselves as well... I mean this may seem obvious but what I meanis sometimes we get wrapped up in finding out about the PNM and letting them know aobut the chapter as a whole ... that we don't let them know about US individually as much as we should, you know what WE like to do with our spare time...do we have any pets at home... whatever... just make sure they get a sense of YOU and don't just see you as a "sister of XYZ"
Old 07-14-2003, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Now I'm really nervous bc I have never been on either side of formal rush! I have no clue what I am doing, and I am just praying my sisters will bear with me. I hadn't really thought about it being stressful on this side, but the more I read the more stressed I get Anyways, (beware! stupid question!) how could you "mess up" on this side of rush?
Old 07-14-2003, 05:56 AM
GreekChat Member

rushing PNMs

Quote:
Originally posted by phimuandfries
Now I'm really nervous bc I have never been on either side of formal rush! I have no clue what I am doing, and I am just praying my sisters will bear with me. I hadn't really thought about it being stressful on this side, but the more I read the more stressed I get Anyways, (beware! stupid question!) how could you "mess up" on this side of rush?
Well if you see my thread, im that girl, you can see how being a mess up rusher can get you stuck not talking at all to PNMs. Before that time, I did not even think it was possible to get cut from being a rusher.
But i think both of us just need to look at the tips on this thread and take them to heart. And practice practice practice. I think the problem was is that i heard a lot of this stuff before, however, it was never practiced except once. And what i mean by practicing is have sisters take turns being the PNMs. I think im going to request that we do a lot more of that practice.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AOII_LB93
I can't think of more fun than recruitment, does that make me an utter sicko, psycho, or just your run of the mill ex-recruitment chair?
I just think that's perfectly normal, myself! There's nothing more fun than recruitment!

Heck, I loved it enough to become Panhellenic Rush Chair one year

Christin