GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,446
2 members and 1,444 guests
indygphib, Sarak24034

Old 01-12-2019, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I wouldn't give a flying flip what the women in the chapter must feel. They are the cause. I've done enough work nationally with my group to have seen all kinds of stupid.
This. ^^ It's obviously an egregious situation for their national to pull them from recruitment, and while there will be women currently in the chapter who had no part in whatever happened, it remains that there were women in the chapter who apparently made serious errors in judgment. In this day and age, when risk management and lessons in good character are pounded into GLO members by the national organizations, it's hard to feel sorry for anyone who can't simply do the right thing.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wouldn't give a flying flip what the women in the chapter must feel. They are the cause. I've done enough work nationally with my group to have seen all kinds of stupid.
Wow, ok. 🙄 Reserving judgement until the facts are known. Perhaps we should all do the same. Maybe they are all culpable, but I suspect the reality is not.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganM View Post
Wow, ok. 🙄 Reserving judgement until the facts are known. Perhaps we should all do the same. Maybe they are all culpable, but I suspect the reality is not.
I hate to be that person but Chi O doesn’t ever stop recruitment unless something *extremely* serious has happened. I hope no one has been hurt but I do agree that the girls are the ones who are responsible, Nationals doesn’t tend to swoop in and take immediate action unless a number of sisters were involved in something major.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

^ exactly.

XO is a prestigious national organization that would not pull a chapter from recruitment over nothing. I respect their decision and the fortitude and integrity it took to make that decision.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantXOcousin View Post
I hate to be that person but Chi O doesn’t ever stop recruitment unless something *extremely* serious has happened. I hope no one has been hurt but I do agree that the girls are the ones who are responsible, Nationals doesn’t tend to swoop in and take immediate action unless a number of sisters were involved in something major.
Thanks for sharing that. I don’t know much about this, I’ll admit. Just another mom whose daughter went thru recruitment last year, and I decided to pop back in, and maybe offer some moral support to the moms that are currently going thru it.

Until the facts are known, I still sympathize with the legacy PNM’s, and the girls in that house whose future is unknown.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

This is my 7th IU recruitment and I must say, I have yet to have a "normal" recruitment season.

Good luck to all the PNMs, hopefully they find their tribes. Good luck to the actives, hopefully they find their little sisters. Good luck to the advisors, hopefully they find a full wine glass when they get home (hint hint hubby). Good luck to the parents, hopefully their eardrums burst on Tuesday night when their gloriously happy daughters call them screaming that they found their home.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 PM

In most circumstances, chapters are permitted to continue recruitment as normal even if on a phase of discipline/suspension. I've worked with chapters in varying stages of intervention and it is business as usual as long as sanctions are completed.

C&D from recruitment is very serious.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
I just read the “IU Daily Student” posting as well. So ALL THE QUESTIONS TO ANSWER... girls who chose this chapter over others to return to, legacies counting on a bid at preference, other houses who will Be the OTHER HOUSE opposite this chapter in pref, etc. And how about the many girls who WOULD HAVE been bidded and signed their bids?

What is IU Panhellenic doing right now to help confused, broken-hearted PNM’s make sense of this and have TWO choices to return to for pref?
They’ll get invited to the next chapter on their list. RFM is stretchable under these circumstances. Also quota will increase. This is one time where IU’s lack of a campus total will actually be a good thing. IRONY!!
Old 01-13-2019, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
This. So much this. For a chapter to reach this stage, there have been many, many opportunities to "straighten up and fly right" as my mother used to say. If a handful of girls in any orgs chapter are causing all the drama, the chapter has options to deal with them, including terminating their memberships, before their headquarters has to step in.

By the time it reaches a university cease and desist stage, and a withdrawal from rush per headquarters, many solutions have been tried by local advisors and national officers to right the ship. I have to believe that this was a difficult decision and one made under careful consideration.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganM View Post
If they knew about it and kept silent, they are culpable. Sure, there are always the 2 or 3 who are MIA most of the time and totally clueless. But the rest of them knew and turned a blind eye.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
This. So much this. For a chapter to reach this stage, there have been many, many opportunities to "straighten up and fly right" as my mother used to say. If a handful of girls in any orgs chapter are causing all the drama, the chapter has options to deal with them, including terminating their memberships, before their headquarters has to step in.

By the time it reaches a university cease and desist stage, and a withdrawal from rush per headquarters, many solutions have been tried by local advisors and national officers to right the ship. I have to believe that this was a difficult decision and one made under careful consideration.
That's not necessarily true. At IU, cease and desist is the first step after a complaint is received. Then an investigation is conducted and the chapter either goes off C&D with no issues or a punishment is doled out. Punishment can be anything from probation to suspension. There have been a few houses this year who ended up on C&D who where released with no discipline. And a few who are "no longer with us."

However, the fact that nationals put an end to rush is a problem. There is obviously something very serious. I am hearing it has to do with a fraternity who recently expelled half of its house. It sounds like the incident was a while ago and is just coming to light as part of that investigation.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:20 AM

For anyone doubting that Chi Omega made the right decision to halt this chapter’s recruitment, here’s a post from the thread re IU Tri Delta being closed halfway through pledgeship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltagrandma View Post
I have a genuine question/concern for the new members who were not yet initiated (thank goodness) into the organization in question. WHY can't you tell girls during recruitment that a chapter is on probation and/or is at risk of being shut down?

My freshman year, I was a new member of one sorority. This sorority was shut down about halfway into the new member process for a variety of (valid) reasons. My new member class was not yet initiated. It was a crazy time. We had someone from Nationals (I can't remember her title, kind of like a CDC for DG's) living in the house for WEEKS and on the day we were all supposed to be initiated we all got ready, including the lady from Nationals, and she got a call a few moments before initiation from Nationals to shut down initiation because they were about to revoke the sorority's charter. Yes, the chapter was a MESS. But the decision was that last minute. All of us new members were extremely confused. During the recruitment process, NO ONE had told us the chapter was in trouble, because our Pi Chis / Rho Gammas were not allowed to say a word about it. And no, I did not hear any kind of rumor or talk about how this chapter was such a mess. Word just didn't get around at my school like that. Perhaps this school in question is different, and the girls going through recruitment did know the chapter was in trouble. But the fact of the matter is, during recruitment, no one is allowed to say this formally, so how are the girls going through TRULY supposed to know? Having experienced this firsthand, I felt SO cheated. I would not have accepted my bid if I had known that getting shut down was even a remote possibility.

I understand that if girls are told a chapter is in trouble during recruitment, it will hurt their numbers greatly, and not many girls ( although there still may be some who won't care) will choose to accept bids from chapters in trouble. My response to this is- okay, so you're going to screw over these girls? I definitely got screwed over, just so my former chapter could "try to get back on their feet." Basically, my new member class was "used" to try to salvage what was left of the chapter. That is SO unfair for new members to be introduced into a failing chapter and having the burden of "fixing" it. When our charter was revoked, Nationals indeed told us that they had hoped our new member class would fix things. Oh, how nice, thank you for making my freshman year hell! It really was hell for me. I was absolutely humiliated when the chapter was pulled, seeing all my other friends getting initiated into their sororities. It is not something that new members take lightly and I feel for these former tri delt new members.

I was lucky enough to find another organization that accepted me despite my past. But it was not easy. And at first, it was a bit awkward having to fit in, being known as "the girl who WAS an XYZ, but is NOW an ABC." There is also awkwardness with bigs: my former big did NOT want me to be in another sorority and ceased all communication with me. Now, I am over it, but at the beginning, it sucked.

Just wanted to give this perspective. I really wish Nationals of my original sorority had not used my new member class like that. I really really think girls should be informed of any probation a chapter is on, because at least at my school, no one was allowed to discuss it during recruitment, and the sorority in question kept it extremely hush-hush. It was also not posted on our school's greek life website, as I understand it is posted on some school's websites. Once I was in the sorority, yes I knew they were on probation (a little too little too late), however every member told us it was "no big deal" and "nothing would happen"... yet we were shut down.

I am interested to see what you all think, or if anyone has been in similar circumstances. Sorry for the long post.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
That's not necessarily true. At IU, cease and desist is the first step after a complaint is received. Then an investigation is conducted and the chapter either goes off C&D with no issues or a punishment is doled out. Punishment can be anything from probation to suspension. There have been a few houses this year who ended up on C&D who where released with no discipline. And a few who are "no longer with us."

However, the fact that nationals put an end to rush is a problem. There is obviously something very serious. I am hearing it has to do with a fraternity who recently expelled half of its house. It sounds like the incident was a while ago and is just coming to light as part of that investigation.
My comments referred to how sorority headquarters usually deal with risk management matters. It it is true I have no idea what prompts IU to issue cease and desist ultimatums.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

What time do they get their lists today?
Old 01-13-2019, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

My D just got her pref list back. She got her two top choices back She is so excited! She has second and third round parties out of 4. She likes both very much, and can't wait to find her home.