GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,518
0 members and 1,518 guests
No Members online

Old 08-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by gphiangel624 View Post
I've been watching the recruitment threads silently and this caught my attention. I hope someone reports to the recruitment counselors, college Panhellenic officers, and/or Greek advisor about this practice. Letting it go on will set a precedent, so to speak, that this kind of talk and behavior is acceptable as potential members and as active members of Panhellenic sororities. I worry about how those who are making slanderous and negative comments will act if/when they are members of an organization.
I agree. Your daughter should express her concerns, privately, to her Rho Gam. It is the RG's job to put a stop to this kind of thing.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2007, 03:36 PM

I was reading the posts about the girls being seemingly rude, etc. I think that for some people it's very, very hard to get across how much your sorority means to you in a 10 minute conversation and you tend to just choke and end up sounding like a jerk. I was a horrible rusher back in my college days for that reason.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

This "tent talk" is so discouraging. I cannot imagine where it is coming from and why it's going on.

Very embarassing to read this sort of thing about my Alma Mater, and the continuation without seeming regard from the Rush Counselors.

FSU Mummy, can you expand on it just a bit so that we can get a clear picture as to what is going on? Some of us with FSU ties might be able to share this with local alumnae who work with the collegiate chapters so that they can stress to the girls that this sort of thing cannot go on.

It simply has no place in the Rush experience OR continuing into the collegiate experience.

Aside from that, I am so happy to hear that she's enjoying the experience and is invited to houses that she likes. Keep us up to date!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
This "tent talk" is so discouraging. I cannot imagine where it is coming from and why it's going on.

Very embarassing to read this sort of thing about my Alma Mater, and the continuation without seeming regard from the Rush Counselors.

FSU Mummy, can you expand on it just a bit so that we can get a clear picture as to what is going on? Some of us with FSU ties might be able to share this with local alumnae who work with the collegiate chapters so that they can stress to the girls that this sort of thing cannot go on.

It simply has no place in the Rush experience OR continuing into the collegiate experience.

Aside from that, I am so happy to hear that she's enjoying the experience and is invited to houses that she likes. Keep us up to date!
It comes from older friends on campus and rumors..same place it has always come from. A lot of PNMs come to campus with a lot of preconceived notions and believing the rumors. They skew what they see to fit into that preconception or stereotype...and they share it with their friends. Regardless, it is the Rho Gamma's job to nip that stuff to the bud.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cane94G8r97
Oł est FSUMummy?

In keeping with the whole Paris theme, I thought I would ask where is FSUMummy? Recruitment does not begin until next week for the school where I am an advisor, so I have been very much enjoying everyone's recruitment threads.

Merci!
Always a Zeta Tau Alpha \^^^/
Old 08-24-2007, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink Hang in there....

Dear FSUMummy,
My daughter went through the highs and lows of recruitment last year @ FSU. Tell your daughter to hang in there and look real hard at where she thinks she could fit. My daughter was crushed because she did not get her top pick, but her third, however, it has turned out to be the best place for her. She is extremely happy and has a "new family" away from home. As hard as it is for the PNMs, it is as difficult for the sisters in the houses to narrow their choices; my daughter couldn't talk after the 1st Ice Day because she was hoarse from talking - not to mention, her feet were numb from her heels. She was selected to "rush" and feels very honored. Since her move back to FSU on the 11th, collectively, I have not spent over 30 minutes talking to her. Rehearsals were held last week, and this week has been early mornings and very late nights. It sounds like your daughter is very mature, bright and focused...and, has a loving Mom at home to support her through this process. I wish her the best, and will be anxious to read your comments on Sunday!
Old 08-25-2007, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Any news???

Just know while we are all anxious to hear and it's a supportive group as well, please post as soon as you are able to do so. Many thanks

GPhiB
Old 08-25-2007, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane94G8r97 View Post
where is FSUMummy?
Hello All! Sorry I've been away so long. I've been dealing with a family situation and have been unable to get to the computer.

I just got off the phone with My Girl. Let me get my thoughts sorted and make sure I get my names straight. Then I'll post an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
I agree. Your daughter should express her concerns, privately, to her Rho Gam. It is the RG's job to put a stop to this kind of thing.
I honestly thought this was par for the course. I understand the competitive nature of recruitment and assumed it was a way of playing mental games with the "competition".

I didn't even think to have my daughter speak with her Rho Gam, whom she is very fond of. She and I would just laugh at the stories and the ladies telling them and move on. Now I know this should not have been the case.

With 3 more in the wings, I'll be better prepared for next time. I say next time because the girls in questioned dropped out during skit day. I don't know if the Rho Gamma knew/heard what was going on. The girls (16 initially) in My Girl's group surely did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
can you expand on it just a bit so that we can get a clear picture as to what is going on? Some of us with FSU ties might be able to share this with local alumnae
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
preconceived notions and believing the rumors.
I'm quite sure it was rumors after having spoken with my childhood friend as well as some of you ladies here. Basically, "fat circles" as one of you put it, forced drinking, slave auctions, being given only salad to eat for dinner while the rest ate regular meals. I can't remember all the rest right now, but I'm sure you've heard all this before.

I didn't mean to imply that this was a on going situtation at FSU recruitment. Simply what was happening in My Girl's small group.

On another note, THANK YOU for your words of wisdom and support. I hope I can still post here should I have questions during My Girl's pledge period, etc.

More soon!
FSUMummy
Old 08-25-2007, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xoheatherxo
im confused! did your daughter drop or is she pledging?
Old 08-25-2007, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoheatherxo View Post
im confused! did your daughter drop or is she pledging?
I noticed she wrote "during her pledge period", so I believe that would mean she pledged somewhere.... but where ( which house) is the question......

GPhiB
Old 08-25-2007, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryGPhiB View Post
I noticed she wrote "during her pledge period", so I believe that would mean she pledged somewhere.... but where ( which house) is the question......
Bid day is tomorrow (Aug. 26).
Old 08-25-2007, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Update

After Philanthrophy Day 2, My Girl had a bit of a rough time deciding who she liked better. Her number one choice remained the same; she said she felt very comfortable here and the two girls she spoke with were vey nice and the coversation flowed easily.

Top three after Round 2 are:
Eiffel Tower
Orsay Museum
Notre Dame
On Skit Day My Girl was invited back to five houses (out of 7),
  • Eiffel Tower: Thought the skit was funny. She was introduced to several girls and got a good "vibe" here.
  • Orsay Museum: Nice girls who treated her well. Met President and Vice President and Recruitment Chair.
  • Champ-Elysees: She had a very nice conversation here.
  • Sorbonne: Pleasant conversation but felt that she didn't "know" the girls here".
  • Disneyland Paris: She did feel as though she belonged here. She called the girls "humble". I couldn't get her to elaborate.
Overall, she said that the conversations were less forced and the girls seemed at ease. She was surprised by some of the houses that dropped her but decided to not dwell on it and just enjoy the fact that she had a pretty full day. Two girls from My Girl's group dropped after receiving their party schedules. One dropped after the first party; the other never showed up to the first party. Another girl was upset that her top three dropped her but decided to continue with recruitment when she saw that My Girl had the same houses.

For today's Prefs My Girl had a full schedule!!! Although she really only felt a connection with two of the houses, she was very excited to be invited to three. Most of the girls in her group got invites to two houses. One girl got one invite, and one girl was called earlier and told she had no invites. All the girls had at least one house they were very fond of. No tears during handouts today.
  • Eiffel Tower: She said these girls had a beautiful presentation and maintains that this is her "dream house".
  • Champ-Elysees: She said she saw that these girls were really there for each other. One told a story of a death she had to deal with and how her sister were there for her. My Girl said it was very moving.
  • Sorbonne: She said the party was somber but the girls remained nice. She does not feel she belongs here at all but can see these girls have a real bond between them.
Orsay Museum dropped her. This was my friend's sorority as well as her cousin's. She was disappointed but pleased her number one was still interested. Her new friend who had the same schedule on Skit day has listed #1 and #2 the same as My Girl. They hope to pledge together.

Bid Day tomorrow. I should know by 12:30 what lettered shirts to buy!
Old 08-25-2007, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on a great day for your daughter! I hope she ends up in a chapter she loves tomorrow!!! (And congrats to you for surviving recruitment to this point!)
Old 08-25-2007, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope everything works out for your daughter, and her new friend. Hopefully you both are able to get a decent night's sleep with such a big day tomorrow!
Old 08-25-2007, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

FSUMum,

Don't bother buying shirts at this point. You will not believe the number of T's she will collect each year. Buy shorts, laundry bags, pin box, picture frames, etc.

Now that my daughter is a senior, I need to search for the directions for making a quilt out the T's she no longer wears.

Can hardly wait to hear where your daughter's new home will be!