GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,388
3 members and 2,385 guests
flamboyanttree, MethrenLusia

Old 09-06-2002, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down "Sorority whores and frat boy rapists"?!

I know the subject is offensive, and I apologize, but that's the very reason I started this thread.

Yesterday there was an evangelist on campus and he was stirring up a lot of trouble. My friend told me that he said that there are no "real" women at Purdue, all the girls who wear shorts and skirts might as well run around yelling "rape me, rape me, rape me!", that all fraternity "boys" are rapists and that every sorority girl is a "lusty hussy".

So today I decided to go look for him and see if he was back. He was, and a crowd of students were sitting on the lawn, listening to him. Mainly laughing and, of course, arguing with him.

I could not believe some of the things he was saying. He said that nearly all of our campus is going to Hell because all we care about is sex, masturbating, alcohol and rock and roll music. And he kept bashing the Greek system over and over. It was pretty obvious that I was in a sorority. After all, my whole house wore our new bright pink Sigma Kappa shirts today. We were very easy to spot, even in a crowd.

I had managed to keep quiet until he said that every member of the Greek system was going to burn in Hell because the only reason someone becomes Greek is to get drunk and "fornicate, fornicate, fornicate!" Then he was talking about the Bible and he said that "wicked Delilah" was probably the first sorority girl. "And no doubt she was a Tri-Delt because they are the sluttiest of all whores!" My mouth was like hanging wide open! I couldn't believe he just said that!!

Now, I'm not a Tri-Delt... I don't even have any close friends who are... but as a member of the Greek community, I decide that I am going to speak up and say something. So I told him that he has no right to judge anyone because he is a sinner also and no better than the rest of us. And most importantly, what he was saying was false. Then he told me that I was going straight to Hell because I was a member of a Pagan organization. I told him that I was Christian and that actually, most GLO's were based on Christian values. I even went as far as saying that a lot of ritual is taken directly from the Bible. He responded with, "That's just to brainwash the naive girls like you into thinking they are in a Christian sorority when they are actually a part of the evil Greek system and will ultimately become fornicating slutty whores."

Then we quoted, "judge not, yest ye be judged" and he told us that that didn't apply to him because he was Christian. According to him, since I admitted to drinking alcohol, I wasn't a real Christian because I was a sinner. However, he said he was not a sinner because he was Christian.

My question is... what do you do when something like this happens? Just let it go in one ear and out the other? I really have a hard time doing that because what he is saying is so offensive and so false! The man is absolutely nuts. He isn't on campus to help guide people. He is there to cause trouble.

I told him he wasn't acting like a Christian because he was looking down on everyone. Instead of damning us all to Hell, he should be praying for us if he is that concerned about Purdue's student body and Greek community.

I took one of his booklets. Inside are tons of stories about the bad things he did before he was "saved". There is also a link to his website: www.thecampusministry.org I haven't checked it out yet, but I'm gonna. Who knows what kind of crap they have on there...

This group travels to colleges all over the country so don't be surprised if you see "Brother Jim" or one of his friends on your campus... especially if you live in the Midwest!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-06-2002, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Preachers come to my campus all the time. I applaud your efforts to defend the Greek system, but understand that this guy is seeking attention of any kind. By arguing with him, you gave him the attention that he so obviously craves. The next time he comes, just walk right by as if he isn't even there. Don't stoop to his level by trying to argue with him. You might as well be talking to a brick wall.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PandaOnProzac
Weird shiet yo. Obviously he's playing off the stereotype.

The best thing to do in this situation is show some famous greeks that live good lives.

I wouldn't pick Bill Clinton though.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Brother Jim was an annual show at KU. There were lots of other clowns who show up on campus telling us how we were all going to hell because we were educating and enlightening ourselves. My least favorite was Fred Phelps and the Westboro baptists (jerks who protested Matthew Shephard's funeral) but most people learned to ignore them by the time they were sophomores because we realized these finatics could not relate to us at all -- most people who are that closed minded don't go to college. I'll be praying for them.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought that only happened at IU! When the weather gets nice, Brother Dan stands in the grassy area between Ballantine and Woodburn.

He gets the same attention. People sit there and listen to him bash all of the students. Again, most laugh while others argue with him. No matter how much you argue, he is always right...in his mind. There was even a time when there was a group of people carrying LARGE signs saying things about how bad the students were and that we all needed to repent.

Honestly, I have never heard him say anything bad about the Greek system. That is also probably because I miss it when he does say something.

I don't know what to say about him or your visitor. Obviously, the things they are both saying are very hurtful. I can only feel sorry for these people.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool q

Even Tho I voted for this last Bozo, Bill werent all that Bad!

Well enuff of politiaaclly correect!

These Bible Thumpin asswholes have no damn clue of what is going on in the world!

I have people come to My House and tell me that I should Join Their Relegion!

Just who in the F are they? I have a Religon and it si not any of their Business what it is!

Do not ever fouist your foibles upon my shoulder as then I began to fight against what you profound!

OOPS I am Getting OFF!

SEE YA!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 09-06-2002 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlphaXiAshley Send a message via AIM to AlphaXiAshley Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaXiAshley
oh my...

i didnt know this wacko traveled. ive had an expericance with this "brother Jim" he left a note on one of my boyfriends close friends open diary(www.freeopendiary.com) bashing him and my bf bc they expressed athiest beliefs.... he was really narrowminded and a total hipacrit (sp?) and he really fustrates me more on the level that is people like that that give CHRISTAINS a bad name. i had nooo idea he was bashing greeks. I was on Purdues campus this summer for an alpha xi conferance and i have to say all the greeks i met there (though few bc of the summer) were very nice. and alli have to say is he better not show up on my campus lol.
ashes
Old 09-06-2002, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Wrong way to spread the gospel of Jesus

OK, I usually try not to get into the "controversy" threads, but this time I'm compelled to post!

I'm a born-again Christian, and I know other GLO members who are strong in their Christian faith as well. For this "preacher" to condemn all Greeks to Hell is way out of line. So much for spreading the love of Jesus! Christians come from all GLOs, including Tridelta and Chi Omega!

For more info on Christians in GLOs, might I recommend the following sites:

4Greeks.org

www.ivcf.org/greek

OK, stepping off the soap box!
Old 09-06-2002, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
ball state

I don't remember if this is the same guy that we had on our campus, but we have a guy like that on campus at ball state all the time...H'e's so annoying...He broke off on a girl that lived ony my floor last year because she was there litening to him with her girlfriend. It was definately a scene, afterwhich he gave her one of his pamphlets and wrote something about dildo's being the devil on it... It was too funny though...
Old 09-06-2002, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Murfreesboro, TN - It's Great .. to be .. from Middle Tennessee
You just have to ignore people like that. They "know" they are right and will not even let you get a word in edgewise (I think it's because they are afraid you'll have a point). But, also, remember that his ideas came from somewhere (as misduided as they were) he may have met a greek or two that he used to judge the entire greek system. What I'm saying is: don't let people like that effect your opion of Christians as a whole. As a devout Christian I know he is not the standard!! (And I also know that I am not a fornicating drunkard who is going to hell because I'm greek)
Old 09-06-2002, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I say ignore him. You'll never change their minds.

I cans stand fanatics...regardless of religion.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: hot, humid houston . . .how's that for alliteration?
we have a similar guy at penn state. i don't know what his name is, but we call him the "willard preacher", cuz he stands outside one of the main class buildings on the mall, funnily enough called willard anyway, my favorite quote of his is "prostitutes would never make it at penn state, cuz all you girls give it away for free." i've never heard him go on about the greek community. mainly cuz i never stop to hear him speak. he's out there every day rain snow or shine. and good for you perduegirlie for defending sigma kappa and greek life as a whole!!! snaps!

One Heart One Way. . .
Old 09-06-2002, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

I understand u Purduegirlie,
That guy and his posse( im pretty sure it's the same guy) come to my school every year, and makes a fool out of himself.....yeah he tells us we are whores and sinners and we are going to hell...but really in god's eyes who really is the sinner??? the one who points out everyones elses supposed sins.....I try to ignore or just leave campus when he is there because why give him any part of my time....i really thought it was only my school that this guy went to i guess hes on a mission to tell everyone they are going to hell...when really he's the biggest sinner of all.....
Old 09-06-2002, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

NPR did a show on Brother Jim Gilles last year. He's been at this for
twenty years now. He even has a daughter in college somewhere in the
midwest. Someone needs to get her into a sorority and hook her up
with a boyfriend.

Anyways here's his story...

http://www.thecampusministry.org/testimony.htm
Old 09-06-2002, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG, Brother Jim is STILL going around college campuses!?!?!? He was doing it when I was in school 20 years ago!!!!

It was ALWAYS a show...very funny to listen to. In fact, word spread quickly whenever he came...gee, I wonder how his kids are - he used to bring them along too. They were about 4-5 years old, so I guess they're in their 20s!?

And congrats to you PurdueGirlie, for taking a stance.