GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,198
0 members and 2,198 guests
No Members online

Old 12-23-2002, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kateshort Send a message via AIM to kateshort Send a message via Yahoo to kateshort
Quote:
Originally posted by GreekSCU
So how exactly does it work? How do you receive your lavalieres?
When I was lavaliered, my Sinfonian boyfriend just went to the University Book Store and bought a lavaliere of his letters. (Guys' frats were all national, so they could do that, while we local sorors had to place special orders every spring after getting our pledges.) There's probably a) stuff at your union bookstore; b) a local jeweler who makes them; and/or c) a fraternity-run store that has all of your letters, decals, official shirts, etc. that should carry fraternity jewelry in a range of Karats and colors. We also had a local shop that made Valpo shirts, block letter shirts, and carried some stuff for paddles and keychains and the like; they may have had lavalieres too.

It was always private stuff for us, and I don't think his brothers did anything except provide moral support (some) before he bought the thing. They'd abolished the practice of driving to the Dunes and tossing the guy into the lake, so he just had to pony up enough money to the social chair to buy them a ton of beer or something. He doesn't remember much else.

Anyway, he wrapped it up in pink sheep ribbon left over from my halloween costume, and snuck it into my coat. We were in a school bus riding back from a "run for the border" date party when I felt something in my coat pocket, unwrapped it, quietly bugged out, rewrapped it, and put it back in my pocket.

The next night we had a rose pass (pretty much like a candlelight) where I announced that I'd been lavaliered. The social chairs of Sinfonia and DXE got together to plan a lavaliering party (and the PMA guys came to serenade me outside the sorority dorm the following Thursday), and my husband and I each picked out a set of letters for a new PMA letter sweatshirt. When we had the party, I wore my new letters, we partied, and then about an hour into the party the guys sang to me again.

I *think* we had a pinning party, following the same order of events except with no new sets of letters (-grin-). I actually pinned him before he pinned me, and at that point I gave him an athletic-style sweatshirt with our letters and sorority name on it (which he did wear).

Oh, and if you're both greek, engaged, and have good singers in your fraternity, have the guys serenade you at your wedding reception. It makes all of the other relatives swoon, too.

Last edited by kateshort; 12-23-2002 at 10:42 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-05-2011, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
*Bump*

My mom told me she knew I was getting engaged when I told her my fiance lavaliered me. (She really didn't get it even after I told her, so she Googled it.) She said after reading the Wikipedia entry, she knew.

So I decided to check out what Wikipedia had to say. This thread is apparently the source for that Wikipedia entry. LOL. I dunno, I thought it was funny, and thus had to share.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

So my boyfriend of 2 years wants to lavalier me. The problem is he lavaliered a different girl 3 years ago (obviously it didn't work out). I don't even know if this is allowed or not? Can you lavalier two different girls while you are in college? Anyone have any idea? He is a Sigma Chi.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADIPirate View Post
So my boyfriend of 2 years wants to lavalier me. The problem is he lavaliered a different girl 3 years ago (obviously it didn't work out). I don't even know if this is allowed or not? Can you lavalier two different girls while you are in college? Anyone have any idea? He is a Sigma Chi.

Thanks!
If he really wants to lavalier you, I would think this would be an issue for HIM to figure out.

Tell him to ask his brothers.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:44 PM

^^^^Guess you didn't like the answer I gave you in D&R?

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Also, boo to "discussing" being lavaliered. I thought lavaliering was supposed to be a surprise?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Also, boo to "discussing" being lavaliered. I thought lavaliering was supposed to be a surprise?
That's what I thought too. As if lavaliering another girl didn't take some of the magic out of it, knowing before hand sure did!!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 AM
GreekChat Member

My boyfriend's in Triangle and we are very serious, but I don't know if Triangle lavaliers since they don't have greek letters. He gave me his "letters" to wear a month or so ago, and all my sisters keep asking me if I'm lavaliered, but I don't even know if I can be! Does anyone know? Thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by axWOAH View Post
My boyfriend's in Triangle and we are very serious, but I don't know if Triangle lavaliers since they don't have greek letters. He gave me his "letters" to wear a month or so ago, and all my sisters keep asking me if I'm lavaliered, but I don't even know if I can be! Does anyone know? Thanks

Here is an idea, what about asking him?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axWOAH View Post
My husband is not in a social fraternity. He "lavaliered" me by giving me a little heart-shaped pendant. My chapter celebrated it like any other lavaliering.

I don't see why your lavaliering should be treated any differently just because your boyfriend is in a fraternity that doesn't use Greek letters. Run it by your boyfriend to make sure he agrees that giving you his letters is his fraternity's equivalent to lavaliering. If so, talk to your chapter's ritualist about a candle lighting.