GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,286
1 members and 1,285 guests
No Members online

Old 11-28-2007, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

A totally honest thread...from long long ago

As a long time lurker I have noticed the evolution of Recruitment stories go from semi-honest to totally banal. Recruitment is a long and difficult process under any circumstances. But to be real this is a selection process that is different from almost anything else. And so I thought that I might, from the prospective of 35 plus years tell a story to show how much rush has changed...and how little.

I rushed at a large university. At the time there were 12 houses on campus. I went in totally blind. My parents, in keeping with the times, hoped that I would be a leftist protester/hippie. I, in true daughterly form said...no...I'm joining a sorority. I knew nothing about the sororities, nor did I know anything about the "rules", except the stated rules. I had heard that, until recently, when rushing in the heat (and non-air conditioned houses in those years), girls actually wore St. John suits and gloves. Weird.

I filled out my forms honestly. I had one female relative who had been in a house, different campus, who wrote me a rec. (I didn't know that I needed one.) But she warned me that her house had been "progressive." I asked her what that meant and she said, "You'll find out." No amount of pushing or pleading could get an answer.

I am an adult. I will not be "mean", just truthful in what happened. (I will say that it ended well.) Anyone want to hear the stories from the real olden days?)
Old 11-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
I am an adult. I will not be "mean", just truthful in what happened. (I will say that it ended well.) Anyone want to hear the stories from the real olden days?)
I'm not a fan of the banal, either and usually I feel like poking my eyes out everytime I see a new retro thread pop up, but I'm definitely interested in reading what you have to say.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I want to see pictures!!! The St. John suits and gloves are killing me.

Reminds me of pictures of the early 80s Rush at Miami University where girls were wearing Fair Isle sweaters and Skyr Turtlenecks in the dead of August. Oh, how rediculous it was!

PLEASE tell your story.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And so I thought that I might, from the prospective of 35 plus years tell a story to show how much rush has changed...and how little.
.... Anyone want to hear the stories from the real olden days?)
I'd love to hear your story!
Old 11-28-2007, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, but I missed the St. John/gloves thing by 2 or 3 years. We wore sundress, pantyhose, and closed 2 inch heels. It was still more formal then, no jeans (or as some still called the dungarees....) and no t shirts.

The first function for Rush was the orientation meeting. I remember LOTS of girls in a big room. Most of the girls were blond. And at that time, while there were African American and Asian sororities on campus they rushed separately. I don't recall any African Americans, but perhaps there were a few Asian girls. But I don't remember specifically.

My lack of knowledge was staggering. I sat next to a girl from Chicago who was a font of information. She knew, and had recs for, all the top houses. She even had a Presents dress. (I was in awe that someone was so certain that she would get what she wanted that she had spent a lot of money on something that couldn't be returned if unused.) My new friend pointed at girls and said,"Kappa" or "DG"...whatever. She looked at me and said the names of a few houses, but that meant nothing to me. Happily, I was totally unaware.

We were introduced to our Rush counselor (we were broken down by alphabet) and I noticed that my Rush counselor was the only brown haired girl in the group. She seemed nice in her welcome. And then reiterated that Rush was a process where it was importent for everyone to feel comfortable, sisters and rushees, in their selection. Her words kind of hung in the air. I knew that the meaning was far deeper than that, but I was really clueless to what she meant.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I'm not a fan of the banal, either and usually I feel like poking my eyes out everytime I see a new retro thread pop up, but I'm definitely interested in reading what you have to say.

HAHAHA! I agree. Especially about the poking out of eyes.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to icicle22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I want to see pictures!!! The St. John suits and gloves are killing me.

Reminds me of pictures of the early 80s Rush at Miami University where girls were wearing Fair Isle sweaters and Skyr Turtlenecks in the dead of August. Oh, how rediculous it was!

PLEASE tell your story.
In August? I can only imagine how humid it was.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Ooh, I'm eagerly awaiting development of this story as well.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't wait to hear this story. Bring on the honesty!!!!!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We wore sundress, pantyhose
Wow...flashback! lol.

Anyways, ellebud continue your story!! And I co-sign what OTW said!

Would you like a Cleveland Steamer or Alabama Hot Pocket with your Blumpkin?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22 View Post
In August? I can only imagine how humid it was.
Dressing for the occasion, not the weather.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

We called them Fall cottons. Man, I'm old.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Open House:

Please bear in mind that it has been a long time, so I can't tell you about each house. I will tell you about the most memorable.

The first house that my group went to was the house where I had a rec. We waited in the heat when suddenly...yes, you know what happened! Boom! Boom! A hundred screaming girls came out of the house singing their song. I must have taken a step back because it was frightening surreal. A quick appraisal said that I could fit in there. We went inside and the usual pairings happened. We talked and things went fine. I wasn't astounded, but I fit in rather well. (At that time I did some modeling and acting, but I wasn't tall.) The girl that I spoke with had been briefed that I had a rec because she made reference to my cousin's school. I left feeling ok, not overwhelmed, but fine.

The second house I remember because those twenty minutes were the longest of my life. This was the most "popular" house on campus. The girl and I just didn't click. No fault here or there. We just didn't click. In fact she put her hands behind her back and signaled her sister to relieve her. This happens...in rush and in life. Move on.

I went to three houses that left no impression at this late date. I imagine that they were ok...no sparks.

Last house of the day: By this time I was used to the banging and screaming. I went into this house and met a girl who should have been my best friend. We talked 20 minutes straight, laughed the whole time. We knew some people in common, despite the fact she lived in a different part of the metropolis. (That's about an hour plus from where I live). I found it a bit strange that despite the fact that she lived in a very...ok...here comes the brutally honest part of the story, the little secret that was a part of sororities at that time....non Jewish part of town...she knew a lot of Jews from my part of town. Weird I remember thinking. We hated that the bell signalled the end of the party. And my new best friend told me she was thrilled to have met me. I didn't doubt her honesty. (And I don't doubt it to this day...because of what happened later.)

The next set of parties...tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Me likey the honesty Keep it rollin!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ealymc
Quote:
Open House:

The next set of parties...tomorrow.