GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,426
3 members and 2,423 guests
3DGator, Phrozen Sands, zagelpitto2616

Old 05-04-2000, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DableST_1
Exclamation BEWARE

Sorors, I just recieved some disturbing news. My ship (line sister) was the victim of longing on to an e-mail message that states in the subect area I Love You. If any of you recieve this message, beware because it is a bad virus. After an a couple of hours of her telling me this, I was watching the news, and realized that it has made the media, so this must be pretty bad.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-04-2000, 08:57 PM
c&c1913

This is serious. I received three warnings from different supervisors at work. Don't think it's an admirer or long lost love. Just delete and if it was a genuine love message, they'll try again!
Old 05-04-2000, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Does anyone know if this "I Love You" virus have an attachment that goes with it?
Old 05-05-2000, 12:38 AM
c&c1913

Description
VBS/LoveLetter.worm arrives via email message with one of three subject lines:
"ILOVEYOU"
"Susitikim shi vakara kavos puodukui..."
"Joke"
The text reads "kindly check the attached LOVELETTER coming from me.", and the worm is included in the attachment, called "LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs" or "VeryFunny.vbs".
This worm attempts to send copies of itself through mIRC to the IRC channels and through Outlook to all address book entries.

VBS/LoveLetter.worm also attempts to download and install an executable file called WIN-BUGSFIX.EXE, a password stealing program that will email any cached passwords it finds to the mail address MAILME@SUPER.NET.PH.

[This message has been edited by c&c1913 (edited May 05, 2000).]
Old 05-05-2000, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

How Do I Detect, Prevent, and Fix It?

If you receive an email with the subject line ILOVEYOU, do not open the attachment; delete the entire message from your system. In general, you should never open any email attachment without first scanning it with an antivirus program.

Here are a few links about the virus:

Virus Info
How the virus works
ILOVEYOU Anti-Virus Center

It's already too late, I opened it!!
Old 05-05-2000, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Virus Day Two: Beware the Copycats

Not many escaped the plague of the "ILOVEYOU" computer virus that hit worldwide yesterday. Now experts are warning you to be on the lookout for copycat viruses today, including one that is called "very funny" and "joke." It arrives in your e-mail box looking like a forwarded message with "fwd:joke" on the subject line and an attachment named "very funny.vbs." Delete it. Do not open it or download it. Unfortunately, the copycat viruses could potentially cause the same damage as the so-called Love Bug, and anti-virus software designed to block "ILOVEYOU" may not work on the new variants. What's the potential for copycats? "There'll be hundreds of these in the coming days," computer security expert Peter Tibbett of ICSA.net of Reston, Virginia told CNN. "Maybe thousands." Millions of computer systems worldwide were affected by the Love Bug--from the Pentagon to the British Parliament. The damage in dollars could reach $1 billion by Monday. Because of the risk of copycat viruses today, it is urged that computers users and companies block all e-mails that have attachments or block attachments with .vbs files.