GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,622
0 members and 1,622 guests
No Members online

Old 02-12-2018, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

UT Austin and Out of State Recruitment

Hi, all!

Wondering if being out of state will put me at a disadvantage for sororities in Texas.

Many thanks!

Last edited by cleo1967; 02-12-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh no, @AZtheta and @ASTalumna06 - it seems I’ve offended and that really wasn’t my intention, I’m so very sorry. As for reputations, sisterhood was one of the factor Iwas hoping to get a glimpse into, but I realize in hindsight how the wording was misleading. I have no idea was QFP means, admittedly.
As for sharing my location, should I just mention then that I’m out of state? Because that’s really what I’m hoping to understand - views in a Texas towards Out of State rushers. I have searched that topic but found little to nothing so far already up on out of state recruitment, only hearing how it’s a disadvantage.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a close friend whose daughter went through UT Austin rush about nine years ago. And this is second hand. She was from a public high school in a medium-sized Texas city. Both of her parents are very prominent in the medical profession and her mother's sorority was one of the smaller national sororities with a chapter at UT. It was brutal. Don't let anyone tell you it is not. She ended up joining her mom's sorority and had a great time at UT.

There are a lot of stories on this website (and others) about sorority rush at UT Austin - most are likely true (or somewhat true). But times change. My advice would be to prepare for the worse and hope for the best. And be open to joining any sorority that wants you. Wear clothes that are appropriate for UT, if you don't know what that is find out. (I know that is what you are trying to do, but I'm the last person to ask about that.) Coming from California, I'd suggest focusing more on finding connections and recommendations through your parents' friends and associates. There is plenty of advice on this website on rush and how to get recommendations. Find it and follow it.

One thing for sure is that Texas society is not what it once was and there is likely a lot of people in the UT Greek system from what I once heard a Texas probate attorney call "decaying society." In any event, Texans have traditionally been open and friendly, but don't confuse that friendliness with getting a bid. There will definitely be a culture difference, but you have as good a chance as anyone from out of state.

Also, keep in mind that there are several fraternities at UT that have many members attending Austin Community College with the hopes of transferring to UT. (This may or may not be important. But I find it kinda odd that girls will pay a lot of money and compete to get in "XYZ top house" only to socialize with community college kids.) This is a quirk at UT caused by the automatic admissions rules.

Hopefully - someone with more current knowledge will chime in.

Last edited by PhilTau; 02-12-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

You haven't done anything wrong! Reasearching what you're getting into and learning how to have your best rush is certainly advisable. Do check out many of the recruitment threads here--many have been stickied. Along the way you'll probably figure out why some bristle at these threads, mainly because some girls come here for advise on how to get THE sorority they want. Period. Then they just stop listening.

You certainly won't be the only girl from OOS so unless you use the same moniker elsewhere or it's got identifying info in it you should be fine.
UT lists some Panhellenic alumnae associations that can help. (Below--there are probably more in your area) Register with one close to you for info on rec forms, etc. Some have conversation workshops, meet-and-greets, and the like.

UT rush can be different animal, of sorts, so do some homework. Taking everything online with a grain a salt can still be helpful and you can get a glimpse of what some of it will be like. What dorm you may be more comfortable in, etc. Reading old articles and even *gasp* threads on other sites can still help you get a glimpse behind the curtain.
There are many great sororities that take OOS girls but you need to be prepared that the process can be bewildering and painful. But also fun! You just HAVE to be open to giving the groups that want YOU an honest chance. If a house cuts you because you didn't summer with any of them, you probably would be happier elsewhere. Truly. And Instagram can be very dishonest--remember that.

Good luck to you, and congratulations on becoming a Longhorn!!!
http://http://deanofstudents.utexas....pc_alumnae.php

Last edited by APhi2KD; 02-12-2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Take out location *sigh*
Old 02-12-2018, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

(From a Big 12 alumna who is now in SoCal + an Adviser at UCLA)
Not sure where you are in Southern California, but contact the closest alumnae Panhellenic association near you. Orange County, Long Beach and Los Angeles all have websites. You can register and let them know that you’re going through recruitment at Texas. They may be able to help you with recommendations. You can also see if that association has Longhorn alumnae who could help answer specific questions about Texas recruitment. (The LA Longhorns have a Facebook group! Go network at an upcoming event!)

If you are visiting the UT campus before the end of the semester, see if you can schedule a campus tour where the tour guide is in a sorority.

AZTheta — Oh, how I wish we had a “like” button! ��
Old 02-12-2018, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Never fear, I saw the Longhorn Signal.

Relatively recent UT alumna here. I’m going to give you some advice here and some more in direct message, so check that once you’ve read this.

UT rush is brutal. There is no other way to put it. BUT almost every PNM who keeps and open mind and finishes the process will receive a bid. Please remember that open mind part because it is the most important part of what I’m posting here.

You’re going to hear a lot about sorority tiers, both online, when you go to orientation, and once you arrive and start recruitment. The PNMs who get caught up in that are the ones who end up dropping out when they don’t get invited back to the chapters they think they “deserve.” Don’t be that girl. The truth is, every sorority at UT is great and there are out of state members in every house. Your odds of ending up in some of the sororities as an unconnected out-of-state student are essentially zero, but it’s nothing personal. Really! Some houses focus more on people we already know and their membership is very concentrated on a few areas and schools. I’m pretty sure half my pledge class and I were in Brownies together. There’s nothing you can do about it, so if they drop you look at it as an opportunity to return to chapters that are more geographically open minded and interested in you.Honestly, you’ll probably be more comfortable in those sororities anyway since it’s hard to break through established cliques in those more Texas based chapters. Keep an open mind. Don’t listen to anything others say. Every sorority has an active social schedule and honestly, once the crazy recruitment season ends, we all have friends in other chapters.

Get recommendations. THIS IS NOT A SUGGESTION. THIS IS A MUST HAVE. You will be dropped after first set by most of the sororities if they didn’t receive recommendations for you. Two to three per chapter is the norm. You may hear people mention Letters of Support. It’s a Texas thing and pretty much anyone outside of Texas or who isn’t familiar with our ways will look at you like you have three heads and a tail if you mention them. It’s ok to get the regular recommendations the alumnae of each sorority you contact normally writes. Recs from people who actually know you are the best. Check out the thread on here that talks about how to find rec writers. It will help you a lot. When all else fails, you can register with your local Alumnae Panhellenic and get them from local women who don’t know you. Again, see that thread. START WORKING ON THIS NOW! You want them to be submitted by the middle of June at the latest, and May is better. Make it your job in the next couple of months.

Don’t go out and buy a new wardrobe of things that you think people are going to be impressed with. Dress cute and classy but be yourself. It will be hotter than satan’s sauna so keep that in mind.

Clean up your social media. Now. Sororities are going to start stalking you. Make sure it’s fun and light and classy. Make sure it reflects your best self. Stay covered up and don’t show anything that could be misconstrued as an alcoholic drink or worse. Avoid political rants, rants about people etc.

Be very careful if you’re approached by sorority members trying to dirty rush you during the summer. You don’t want to look like someone who’s overly interested in one group or get your hopes up/ misread their signals. Don’t go out with sorority members during orientation and don’t go to the parties you might get invited to. Needless to say, don’t be the drunk girl or the girl who flirts with or worse with some guy a sorority member likes. I can’t even tell you how many PNMs have cratered their recruitment this way, even if it looks innocent to you. Remember, people are watching and want to know how you will represent their sorority.

I think that’s it. Really, you will find your people even if they aren’t in the sorority you thought they were going to be in during rush. Keep an open mind. Did I mention that already?

Last edited by LadyLonghorn; 02-12-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome post LL.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all - if there's anything I've learned from this thread it's to be open minded and positive. And also to get recs, haha. Everyone's advice is so appreciated, and I keep repeatedly hearing that every single sorority at UT has something to offer - and I'm so excited to meet and consider them all! I've been looking up and some of the philantrophy they're doing is pretty cool. @ladylonghorn has been especially helpful!!
Old 02-12-2018, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo1967 View Post
Thank you all - if there's anything I've learned from this thread it's to be open minded and positive. And also to get recs, haha. Everyone's advice is so appreciated, and I keep repeatedly hearing that every single sorority at UT has something to offer - and I'm so excited to meet and consider them all! I've been looking up and some of the philantrophy they're doing is pretty cool. @ladylonghorn has been especially helpful!!
Now THAT is the kind of post that makes us all smile! LadyLonghorn's advice is 100% spot on. Take every word she says as gold. Just get the tier crap OUT of your pretty head. It will only make you miserable in the end. You can have a wonderful rush experience and wind up with "your people" if you can ignore the tent talk and gossip.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

@thetalady thanks to all! You and everyone else have soothed my anxiety

Last edited by cleo1967; 02-13-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

UT active here! Rush at Texas was one of the craziest experiences I’ve gone through. Very stressful. Very intimidating. Snobby, cliquey girls all over. I found lots of helpful info on this site so be sure to read through all of the threads.

UT’s acceptance ratio now stands at 39%. It’s hard getting in these days. Because of that, the Texas girls who thought they’d be an auto-admit to continue their mom’s UT legacy are often not getting in. We have more OOS girls than ever before. All of the girls going through rush here are top students, so other qualities come into play: style, attractiveness, personality, connections from high school or camp, wealth. Like most schools, there is a pecking order but all chapters have well-traveled, very smart actives with plenty of disposable income.

There are always exceptions but basically, the chapters have certain personalities.

PiPhi, Kappa and Theta usually pull in girls they know. ChiO and TriDelta take lots of suburban girls and those that don’t go PKT. Zeta goes for pageant and cheer types. Alpha Phi pulls the outgoing, party girls that didn’t go ChiO or Zeta. Alpha Chi takes lots of OOS girls; really pretty group. AEPhi is predominately Jewish. DG comes next; very involved on campus. KD is the newest house on campus; really involved on campus as well. ADPi has a sweeter, quieter demeanor. AXD girls are fun-loving and don’t care about status. SDT is a very diverse group; no house but they have a nice place to meet at.

Sign up for recruitment early. Try to follow a few actives on Insta. Try to link up at orientation. Of course, clean up your social media. Come down for Round Up but don’t make a fool of yourself.

Be open-minded but pledge a sorority you feel good about. Successful re-rushing at UT is definitely a thing but only if you connect well with actives during freshman year.

With that, welcome to The University of Texas. You’re gonna absolutely love it!! Good luck and kick ass!
Old 02-13-2018, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Phil Tau, no offense but you don't know what you're talking about. Sounds like your info is 4th hand. "decaying society"...what?? Austin, Dallas, Houston, Midland, San Antonio, The Valley (even East Texas) all have a vibrant society circuit. UT is home to many scions of those social circles. UT is such an appealing school that guys who can't get in still want to be within it's shadow. The fraternities are UT students with a handful of non UT guys here and there. They happen to be wealthy enough enough to pledge (dues are around 6-7k/yr for several groups). So, no, we didn't go greek at UT to hang out with ACC guys (there aren't many). We went greek at UT to be greek at UT.
And be open to joining any sorority that wants you? Wrong wrong wrong. Be open but join a sorority you're psyched about.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
And be open to joining any sorority that wants you? Wrong wrong wrong. Be open but join a sorority you're psyched about.
In a perfect world girls would get a bid from a house they are totally psyched about. But we don't live in a perfect world and at super competitive schools like Texas, Ole Miss and Alabama, girls can be lucky to get a bid period even if it is guaranteed (given that they go through the system as they're instructed). I've known many girls take a bid who were unsure about their house, but they gave it their best. And you know what? They fell in love with that house. I've heard some say they can't imagine being anywhere else now.

My advice is that in a house with 300-400 girls you can surely find your "home", so take the bid and give it your best shot.

I wish the OP well in finding a home.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
In a perfect world girls would get a bid from a house they are totally psyched about. But we don't live in a perfect world and at super competitive schools like Texas, Ole Miss and Alabama, girls can be lucky to get a bid period even if it is guaranteed (given that they go through the system as they're instructed). I've known many girls take a bid who were unsure about their house, but they gave it their best. And you know what? They fell in love with that house. I've heard some say they can't imagine being anywhere else now.

My advice is that in a house with 300-400 girls you can surely find your "home", so take the bid and give it your best shot.

I wish the OP well in finding a home.
At UT, re-rushing is a good option. The only drawback is foregoing sorority life as a freshman. If you’re connected to actives as a freshman, you’ll be going to all of the frat parties and their formals, TX/OU, Round Up, the profit shares, etc., so you still fun. I’ve seen it happen here over and over. A girl goes through as an unknown, gets dropped by her favorite houses, drops out completely, only to re-rush and get what she wants as a sophomore.

Texas chapters average 200 girls (AXD not that many and SDT even less). Sure, there is always a girl or 2 within any house that you can bond with but you want to pledge a chapter that you fit with overall. Every re-rusher I know who connected with actives as a freshman had success the second time around. Because many girls only get into UT as transfers, all UT chapters are used to bidding sophomores.

And hey, if you’re dirty rushed, that means you’re on a sorority’s radar (a good thing!). Your takeaway: re-rushing at UT works so don’t settle. Can’t wait to hear your story!
Old 02-13-2018, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd venture to say that there are more charity galas and debutante balls in Texas than in any other state, on top of the fact that the Texas economy and population trends just keep rocking along. That decaying Texas society comment was very misinformed.

You likely have to take your A game into recruitment at Texas so be prepared. Best to you on your Texas recruitment experience. Please come back here and tell us how it goes.