GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,230
0 members and 2,230 guests
No Members online

Old 05-04-2011, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
I know, right? I wonder what the founders think, too.
Mine would go nutz....
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-04-2011, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I was going to start a new thread but this one seemed to fit anyway…sooo…

Question...why have so many Latino orgs made this "We are actually a multicultural now" move. I'm not saying that its bad or good that each individual organizations choice...but why? When you look at other relatively young culturally organizations like Asian orgs, Native American orgs, and Non-NPHC African American orgs they have not changed at all. However, you constantly here of Latino orgs that change their designation from Latino/a to Multicultural. So my question isn't why specific orgs have done it but why its seems to be more prevalent amongst Latino orgs that other orgs
Old 05-04-2011, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarca7 View Post
I was going to start a new thread but this one seemed to fit anyway…sooo…

Question...why have so many Latino orgs made this "We are actually a multicultural now" move. I'm not saying that its bad or good that each individual organizations choice...but why? When you look at other relatively young culturally organizations like Asian orgs, Native American orgs, and Non-NPHC African American orgs they have not changed at all. However, you constantly here of Latino orgs that change their designation from Latino/a to Multicultural. So my question isn't why specific orgs have done it but why its seems to be more prevalent amongst Latino orgs that other orgs
My first guess is that it is due to the fact that Latino is not a race.

You might be from any country in East Asia, but you are clearly Asian. You might be from any country in South Asia, but you are clearly South Asian. You might be from any Indian Nation, but you are clearly Native American. You might be from any of the 50 states, but you are clearly African American (even with the diverse skin tones). The country, state, county or city might change, and so the customs for each, but the race is the same for all (I know there are differences and I am generalizing, so bare with me.)

In the case of Latinos, I just remember a census application I filled some years back. The choices were: White (non Hispanic), Black (non Hispanic), Asian (no Hispanic), Hispanic, Native American. The only thing that join Latinos together as a group are the language and the similarities in cultures (regardless of the many differences between the countries).

As an example, group X has a pledge class with a Asian-Peruvian, Black-Dominican, White-Argentinean, Mixed-Puerto Rican, etc... to name a few. For whatever reason, the Peruvians befriends other Asians, the Dominicans befriends Caribbeans and the Argentinean befriends some Europeans (Just due to first impressions based on race, and may be due to similarities in tastes). From the friendship, these other friends decide to join group X. Try that for several years, so that even though you have Latino pledges, you also have more and more non-Latino pledges.

After a few years, the non-Latinos are easily a third (being kind with the numbers, they could be more). The fraternity might not change focus and might still work towards the Latino empowerment. The non-Latinos know it and agree (they knew before they join). It is not a fraternity that due to the diversity in campus accepted some members from other cultures. It is now a fraternity where a good portion of its membership is multicultural. Does it mean that It'll need to refocus? No. The non-latinos will not ask it. Yet, the Latino brothers might want to be inclusive of their brothers, and this is how a chapter of LGLO, became multicultural. Just a thought.

Sorry, I didn't think it would take me this long. I know there are exaggerations and so forth, but you get the idea. An LGLO is multiracial just for our own diversity. Multiracial may soon become, although not necessarily, multicultural.

ΓΒΦ, BΓΣ, ΦKΦ, OΔK
Societies

Last edited by Little Dragon; 05-04-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
^^^That's how it's been explained to me, though I believe yours is the best form of the explanation I've seen. Good post! I think the core of the issue is the definition of multicultural and a desire to take advantage of the "clout" true multicultural organizations have built.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I take issue with this theory. (I know it just an example but I don't think it is exactly plausible)

1. It assumes that that recruitment and the befriending of interest would break down along racial lines. I am Black although Latino I should recruit and hang out with black people. I am a white Argentinean I should hang out with white people, ect. Sharing of similar "taste" because people are of the same race despite being from totally different cultures seems extremely farfetched.
2. It assumes that the Idea of what race you are takes precedence over culture for example Although, you, LatinaAlumna, and I are likely 3 difference types of Latino, likely grew up in 3 different parts of the country, and I assume are 3 or 4 different nationalities (I’m Half Dominican and half Venezuelan) We all new what was meant when she posted the picture of the chancla…terrifying
3. Given #2 It does not reason why this has not happened across the board. In Asian orgs, Native American orgs, and Non-NPHC African American orgs who likely have members of multiple cultures as well.
4. It still wouldn't make it a multicultural organization. Just organization that is diverse. Working for Latino empowerment would show that you are a Latino organization.

I know you were just making up examples and nothing is factual or based on anything but I just don’t think it is that it simply about race and making people feel comfortable.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

New question!!!!

So why is this so predominant in the Westcoast founded and South founded organizations and rare amongst East coast founded orgs?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

^The only west-coast founded org. that I know of that is now calling itself "multicultural" or "Historically Latino" or "Latino founded multicultural" is NAK. Gamma Zeta Alpha, Lambda Theta Nu, Alpha Pi Sigma, and Phi Lambda Rho have not changed since their founding.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
^^^That's how it's been explained to me, though I believe yours is the best form of the explanation I've seen. Good post! I think the core of the issue is the definition of multicultural and a desire to take advantage of the "clout" true multicultural organizations have built.

Which is?

I sincerely ask because I don't know.

I am aware that multi-cultural orgs are on the rise, so I see the basis of your statement.

ETA - Are you saying that people no longer want to be pigeon-holed into a group based on the major ethnic / racial majority of that group?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
^The only west-coast founded org. that I know of that is now calling itself "multicultural" or "Historically Latino" or "Latino founded multicultural" is NAK. Gamma Zeta Alpha, Lambda Theta Nu, Alpha Pi Sigma, and Phi Lambda Rho have not changed since their founding.
I stand extremely corrected I asked without researching it first now that I did LOL there is no other way of saying it...lol I'm just wrong. Apologies
Old 05-04-2011, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

R

Quote:
I take issue with this theory. (I know it just an example but I don't think it is exactly plausible)

1. It assumes that that recruitment and the befriending of interest would break down along racial lines. I am Black although Latino I should recruit and hang out with black people. I am a white Argentinean I should hang out with white people, ect. Sharing of similar "taste" because people are of the same race despite being from totally different cultures seems extremely farfetched.
2. It assumes that the Idea of what race you are takes precedence over culture for example Although, you, LatinaAlumna, and I are likely 3 difference types of Latino, likely grew up in 3 different parts of the country, and I assume are 3 or 4 different nationalities (I’m Half Dominican and half Venezuelan) We all new what was meant when she posted the picture of the chancla…terrifying
3. Given #2 It does not reason why this has not happened across the board. In Asian orgs, Native American orgs, and Non-NPHC African American orgs who likely have members of multiple cultures as well.
4. It still wouldn't make it a multicultural organization. Just organization that is diverse. Working for Latino empowerment would show that you are a Latino organization.

I know you were just making up examples and nothing is factual or based on anything but I just don’t think it is that it simply about race and making people feel comfortable.
I agree with you 100%. I was just shooting at an answer. Still, I do believe that the phenomeno has not spread to other cultural GLO's, or at least not as strong (Sigma Beta Rho was founded South Asian and now is multicultural) because those cultures mainly do concentrate on a specific race. An LGLO is a multiracial organization due to the fact that no matter your race, what makes you a Latino is the Spanish language (yours or your parents or grandparents). From being multiracial to becoming multicultural, given specific circumstances, is just a step.

ΓΒΦ, BΓΣ, ΦKΦ, OΔK
Societies

Old 05-04-2011, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dragon View Post
I agree with you 100%. I was just shooting at an answer. Still, I do believe that the phenomeno has not spread to other cultural GLO's, or at least not as strong (Sigma Beta Rho was founded South Asian and now is multicultural) because those cultures mainly do concentrate on a specific race. An LGLO is a multiracial organization due to the fact that no matter your race, what makes you a Latino is the Spanish language (yours or your parents or grandparents). From being multiracial to becoming multicultural, given specific circumstances, is just a step.
I know you were just shooting out a theory or a possible step and we both agree it is much more complicated than that and thank you for adding

Btw although it is true word Latino is derived from people who speak languages that derived from Latin that is far from what makes you Latino. It is generally accepted that Brazilians who speak Portuguese are Latino although they do not speak Spanish while some people argue whether Spaniards are Latino and the people of Equatorial Guinea are almost never mentioned as being Latino, although they speak Spanish. It is an over simplifications to say it is a language but just one of the factors. Which include food, music, dance and history.

Last edited by Monarca7; 05-04-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
Which is?

I sincerely ask because I don't know.

I am aware that multi-cultural orgs are on the rise, so I see the basis of your statement.

ETA - Are you saying that people no longer want to be pigeon-holed into a group based on the major ethnic / racial majority of that group?
Not at all. I'm saying that groups want to take advantage of the recruitment benefit of calling themselves "multicultural." To a large extent, non-NPC/NIC/NPHC organizations are competing for the attention of similar pools of people.

Some organizations figured out that they can broaden their appeal by going beyond simply highlighting their diversity.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Not at all. I'm saying that groups want to take advantage of the recruitment benefit of calling themselves "multicultural." To a large extent, non-NPC/NIC/NPHC organizations are competing for the attention of similar pools of people.

Some organizations figured out that they can broaden their appeal by going beyond simply highlighting their diversity.
Agreed. I can definately see that as one of the reasons.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Okay! I get it.

(I had to read it twice. )
Old 05-04-2011, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I stand extremely corrected I asked without researching it first now that I did LOL there is no other way of saying it...lol I'm just wrong. Apologies
Accepted.