GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Phi Epsilon

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,396
2 members and 1,394 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 11-10-2007, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Problem

I am go to Arkansas State University, where I am a freshman. I am a triple legacy for Sig Ep<dad, grandfather, and uncle> I want to join the Greek System but Dad will not pay for anything but Sig Ep. As you may know we don't have a chapter here anymore and there is no chance of it ever coming back. Is there a way I can continue to go here and join somwhere else? They are at UCA but i don't want to go there. Is there anything i can do besides transfer?
Old 11-18-2007, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Sig Ep means a lot to you and your family. I admire your zeal. My guess is that it's more than finances, it's family. And, Sig Ep has a lot to offer, the Sig Ep brand will do you well, long after graduation.

You have three options. One is to transfer to another school with a Sig Ep house. No guarantees you will get in, that's up to that chapter. You may want to explore the chapters that are at colleges you could transfer to. See if that is an option.

The second is to go greek, where you are. The seven fraternities are all good nationals, most with mentoring programs like Balanced Man. I don't know much about each chapter locally, but some might be a good match.

> there is no chance of it ever coming back

The third option is recolonizing Sig Ep. You already have three alums, who are, hopefully, willing to help with time or finances. I don't know why Sig Ep left your campus, but Sig Ep national is always looking to recolonize where it once had a chapter. Of course, the campus IFC has to be open to new houses, but with 9000 students, another house might be welcome? If your Sig Ep folded due to finances, recruitment, etc., the campus administration won't have any heartburn with bringing it back.

If the chapter was closed due to risk management problems (my guess?), you have a bigger problem, but national has dealt with this before. They have a good message, and a good success rate, so the administration will at least talk to the national folks. And you can then have your name on the new charter, which is a great thing for you and your family. At least talk to national, they'll talk to you, you haven't done anything wrong.

As far as becoming an alumni member, look in your Sig Ep Journal to see who has become an alum member in the past and see what they did to become one. It's a rare longshot.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:59 PM

Is Arkansas State definitely where you want to be - the best place for your major, the school you like the best?

If so, then I'm sorry, but your dad is being an immense jackass. He's saying either you stay there and he won't help with your dues (I'm guessing they're on the expensive side there) and will possibly deny you the chance to be Greek, or else you should go to a school you don't really like just so you can pledge his fraternity. As for the "brand" comment - gag me - I would hope you pledge a fraternity because you like the guys and what the fraternity stands for, not for some stupid marketing campaign or what people outside the fraternity think of it.

Recolonizing a chapter is a HUGE amount of work, and if there isn't already an interest group of students - not just 3 alums - I don't know any national fraternity that would bite at it unless the school specifically asks them back.

As far as becoming an alum initiate - OMG, I can't believe this has invaded the fraternity forums too. Being an alum is NOT the same as being a collegian. The OP wants to be Greek NOW, not wait for 4 years and lose the collegiate Greek experience just so he can be Sig Ep.

Go through rush at Arkansas State and pledge the chapter you like the best. Ask if they have a payment plan for your dues. Hopefully, once your dad sees that you're happy, he'll realize how pigheaded he's being and come around and help you out financially.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you very much fpor the advice. i am considering transfering. i don't know where! Any good southern colleges for political science? oh, and Sig Ep can never come back because they were banned for life from any ASU affiliated school and there is virtually NO chance of the school lifting the ban.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekLegacy88 View Post
Any good southern colleges for political science?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and wonder if you're looking at law school post-grad. If so, you might want to dig up Kevin's and MysticCat's post about majors and pre-law. Oh, look, here it is. Aren't I good? That thread has a totally different topic, but I have a feeling that it might be applicable in this situation.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
If you want to look north, Legacy, Penn State has a good program AND a Sig Ep chapter!

Oh, and AF, not all Poli Sci majors go to law school...
Old 11-28-2007, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am go to Arkansas State University, where I am a freshman. I am a triple legacy for Sig Ep<dad, grandfather, and uncle> I want to join the Greek System but Dad will not pay for anything but Sig Ep. As you may know we don't have a chapter here anymore and there is no chance of it ever coming back. Is there a way I can continue to go here and join somwhere else? They are at UCA but i don't want to go there. Is there anything i can do besides transfer?
Did you go to college to get an education, or to pledge Sig Ep?

When I see posts by students who are considering transfer over a greek organization, it makes me cringe. School activities should be secondary!

Further, let's say you have a chapter at your school, but they are a bunch of jack-asses with bad grades who haze heavily. Would you dad expect you to pursue membership? Your (greek) family should understand that a person should go with the best fit.

I think there are much bigger issues going on here. It's time for your dad to accept that you are your own man, and do not exist to follow in his footsteps. I say this because if you're considering a transfer over a fraternity just to please him, it's going to be a long road for you ahead.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Pleasing my dad is important to me. But also I have spent most of my life KNOWING where I would go, what i would do, and ASU and my dad's GLO were always apart of that. I just really like traditioni and i want to have as much of it as i can.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

What's wrong with UCA? It's an amazing school with several impressive degree options (including political science).

http://www.uca.edu/divisions/academic/politicalscience/

We also have an outstanding chapter of Sig Ep.

http://ucasigep.com/index.htm

You want it all in AR, right? Well that's where you can get it. If you want poli sci and Sig Ep dropped into your lap without any sacrifices, then you should probably just stay where you are.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Pleasing my dad is important to me. But also I have spent most of my life KNOWING where I would go, what i would do, and ASU and my dad's GLO were always apart of that. I just really like traditioni and i want to have as much of it as i can.
Okay, so if you've known all your life that you were supposed to be a Sig Ep, why did you a pick a school that doesn't have a chapter and won't allow one to come back?

I'm just trying to understand this.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you considered any Texas schools?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I have decided to transfer to UCA and go thru rush and what not thanks you guys for the advice.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

its kinda funny... my roommate's dad was a EN, but when he came to school he ended up joining sigep. his dad didnt talk to him for a couple weeks lol.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryss View Post
its kinda funny... my roommate's dad was a EN, but when he came to school he ended up joining sigep. his dad didnt talk to him for a couple weeks lol.
If he was an "EN" does that make you an "EPhiE"???
Old 01-07-2008, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
If he was an "EN" does that make you an "EPhiE"???
nah SPE... my bad he was a sig nu lol