GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,465
4 members and 2,461 guests
GammaGirl1908, Kevin, PGD-GRAD

Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing another fraternity after being dropped from another?

I go to a big school and have been interested in greek life for a long time anyhow i was not looking for letters but i was open to all houses. Sadly i missed the rush time they had which left me disappointed so most of the houses where closed for fall so not wanting to wait till the smaller recruitment in December and not wanting to have wait until next fall which would be a year. I decided to check out the fraternities that were open (there were only a few) i checked out 2 of them and got a bid from 1 they seemed really cool and despite them not having a great reputation on campus i decided to sign with them because a few members made me feel really welcome and i knew another one of the pledges. Long story short not to long in the house i come to realize i do not really like it and our reputation on campus is rather bad i was thinking of dropping as was my friend because he was upset with how the members were being lets say jerks to all the pledges. I did not care so much about how the members were acting towards us as much as i cared about how they behaved towards other sororities and how they did not care about their reputation it seemed.

So basically at a party one night i decided to not suck the d#ck of another member basically. All the other pledges were grovelling around trying so hard to be accepted it just seemed disgusting to me. Anyhow this led to me pissing off that member and he and his few buddies blacked me. After i got blacked a few of the members i was cool with came up to me and told me they were so sorry they defended me but that there was enough votes to black me so there was nothing they could do.

I dont care that i got blacked so much because it was not for me at all. And there are a lot of other great fraternities on campus id like to look at. A friend of mine in a fraternity said they do not care if you got blacked from another because they all judge in their own ways. I got blacked for not acting like a slave basically and

Anyhow i am just asking this seeing what people from other schools think. My school is rather large with over 23 fraternities and the one i got dropped from is ranked rather low on greekrank lol. While they threw good parties and i miss my pledge brothers i cant say i miss the members or the reputation they have. I will rush again next Fall in which rush process starts earlier though. Excited because there are so many other fraternities to chose from.

Last edited by wildwest35; 09-13-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-13-2012, 11:42 PM

First of all...it's blackballed. "Blacked" is a rather unfortunate way to put it.

Saying no one will care because the fraternity is ranked low on GR is asinine. Fraternity members DO have friends in other fraternities and you never know who is friends with who.

Your timeline confuses me. Are you saying you missed rush in Fall 2011, got a bid in December 2011, were depledged somewhere between then and now, and are waiting until Fall 2013 to rush? Why didn't/don't you go through rush this Fall?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
First of all...it's blackballed. "Blacked" is a rather unfortunate way to put it.
Lol.

-------

OP - I hope "not sucking another member's dick" is your way of saying "not kissing his ass."

And I don't see a question. If you want to rush another organization, go for it. Just know that some people may recognize you as "that one pledge from XYZ."

Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest35 View Post
I go to a big school and have been interested in greek life for a long time anyhow i was not looking for letters but i was open to all houses. Sadly i missed the rush time they had which left me disappointed so most of the houses where closed for fall so not wanting to wait till the smaller recruitment in December and not wanting to have wait until next fall which would be a year. I decided to check out the fraternities that were open (there were only a few) i checked out 2 of them and got a bid from 1 they seemed really cool and despite them not having a great reputation on campus i decided to sign with them because a few members made me feel really welcome and i knew another one of the pledges. Long story short not to long in the house i come to realize i do not really like it and our reputation on campus is rather bad i was thinking of dropping as was my friend because he was upset with how the members were being lets say jerks to all the pledges. I did not care so much about how the members were acting towards us as much as i cared about how they behaved towards other sororities and how they did not care about their reputation it seemed.

So basically at a party one night i decided to not suck the d#ck of another member basically. All the other pledges were grovelling around trying so hard to be accepted it just seemed disgusting to me. Anyhow this led to me pissing off that member and he and his few buddies blacked me. After i got blacked a few of the members i was cool with came up to me and told me they were so sorry they defended me but that there was enough votes to black me so there was nothing they could do.

I dont care that i got blacked so much because it was not for me at all. And there are a lot of other great fraternities on campus id like to look at. A friend of mine in a fraternity said they do not care if you got blacked from another because they all judge in their own ways. I got blacked for not acting like a slave basically and

Anyhow i am just asking this seeing what people from other schools think. My school is rather large with over 23 fraternities and the one i got dropped from is ranked rather low on greekrank lol. While they threw good parties and i miss my pledge brothers i cant say i miss the members or the reputation they have. I will rush again next Fall in which rush process starts earlier though. Excited because there are so many other fraternities to chose from.
Basically, all I can say is that all you need is a thesaurus, basically. All I mean by that, basically is to pledge the library. And.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Sentence structure is your friend. It's very hard to figure out what you're trying to tell us. And as knight_shadow said, you haven't asked a question.

If you're asking if you did the right thing, we can't answer that.
If you're asking for confirmation that you shouldn't have played along, that would depend on what was being asked of you. There is a certain amount of playing along that is required from you as a pledge. You can choose to have fun with it or you can stand your ground and say no. And the risk you take is exactly what happened - you can have your dignity or you can have the pledge pin. But this does not apply if what was being asked of you was harmful in any way. I'm not a believer that a person should cry hazing for every little thing, but if it was dangerous or sexually abusive, then you have an obligation to not just quit but to report it.
If you're asking if this incident has hurt your possibilities in the future, we can't answer that either. But 1-spend time getting to know men in a variety of fraternities this semester and 2-be prepared for similar or worse pledge antics at the better houses.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know man, the fact that you're a blackballed pledge isn't going to bode well for you come rush. The house that cut you loose being a lower tier fraternity makes the stigma attached to you even worse. Good luck though!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest35 View Post
I got blacked for not acting like a slave basically and
That's your sentence? Okay.

I'd give you the black ball just for that. Anyway, I second what PiKA2001 said.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Saying no one will care because the fraternity is ranked low on GR is asinine. Fraternity members DO have friends in other fraternities and you never know who is friends with who.

Your timeline confuses me. Are you saying you missed rush in Fall 2011, got a bid in December 2011, were depledged somewhere between then and now, and are waiting until Fall 2013 to rush? Why didn't/don't you go through rush this Fall?
It was a rather poorly written post i must admit. I pretty much missed the Fall 2012 Rush people start looking at houses in late spring and fraternities start giving out bids by the start of summer and most houses close by end of summer, the rush process as a pledge does not officially begin though until the first week of school in fall. I missed the time when all the houses where open and missed the time of getting to see all houses, although when i arrived a few houses where open and i looked at 2 of those houses and got a bid from one than joined. Because i was released from my pledge ship "blackballed" i have to wait till 2013 to rush another fraternity. So that means i am not allowed to do the small rush they hold in December for spring so i have to wait till 2013 which is not far away so i wont sign my future bid until early summer when they give them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Lol.

-------

OP - I hope "not sucking another member's dick" is your way of saying "not kissing his ass."

And I don't see a question. If you want to rush another organization, go for it. Just know that some people may recognize you as "that one pledge from XYZ."
thxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Sentence structure is your friend. It's very hard to figure out what you're trying to tell us. And as knight_shadow said, you haven't asked a question.

If you're asking if you did the right thing, we can't answer that.
If you're asking for confirmation that you shouldn't have played along, that would depend on what was being asked of you. There is a certain amount of playing along that is required from you as a pledge. You can choose to have fun with it or you can stand your ground and say no. And the risk you take is exactly what happened - you can have your dignity or you can have the pledge pin. But this does not apply if what was being asked of you was harmful in any way. I'm not a believer that a person should cry hazing for every little thing, but if it was dangerous or sexually abusive, then you have an obligation to not just quit but to report it.
If you're asking if this incident has hurt your possibilities in the future, we can't answer that either. But 1-spend time getting to know men in a variety of fraternities this semester and 2-be prepared for similar or worse pledge antics at the better houses.
yeah i will get to know lots of other people. I think if i tell my story though (i hope) it won't be an issue. I really wanted to look at all the houses i had my own preferences before hand but was open to seeing what every house had to offer. I arrived to school well after the open rush process ended and not wanting to wait an entire year till when all houses are open again i decided to look at the 2 houses that were still open when i arrived. One of them gave me a bid and that house was a house i originally thought was cool as it had a good reputation at another school.

I feel foolish for not having waited a year and not looked at all the houses. In short 1 of my top choices gave me a bid having missed the open rush and all houses being just about closed i put aside better judgement and decided to sign with them. I was considering dropping them right before i got dropped but i am not disappointed that they dropped me i am only disappointed i missed the open rush.