GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,659
1 members and 1,658 guests
zashlytopo8836

Old 08-20-2012, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
That helps, but the fact that Georgia, Florida and other states offer their students free tuition is one of the big reasons.
It's great that they get free tuition (paid for by lotteries), but that means the in-state schools now have their choice of students...thus they can be pickier about the GPAs they'll accept.
Which means they fill up their freshman classes with higher-achieving students...leaving those with lower grades (and sometimes only slightly lower) out in the cold, and forced to attend an out-of-state school unless they want to go the private school route.
At the same time, UA has been offering free full rides to National Merit finalists, and other generous scholarships to high-achieving students. The newer dorms appeal to freshmen...nice recreation centers...honors college...and so on.
Add to all that - a sluggish economy means fewer jobs, so more people staying in school longer.
In the long run, I doubt the growth will continue. Things will slow down eventually.
Yep, and in Texas they've had the ten, now I think eight percent law about everybody in that top percent of their high school graduating class being guaranteed admission to the Texas state-supported school of their choice. That's a similar factor as well. Do you remember that column in the Crimson White last year from a Texas girl at the Capstone entitled "Sweet Home Ala-Texas?!"
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2012, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
Something I’ve noticed for years, and again on this year’s bid list, is how few girls from Mississippi appear on the lists. I know a number of Greek girls from here (Alabama) who attend Ole Miss and Mississippi State (and we are also a less populous state), but have wondered why UofA doesn’t seem to attract more students from Mississippi.

Anyone from Mississippi who has some insight?
Yeah, you're right that there aren't a whole lot of Mississippi students on the list compared to other states, but from memory of other years' bid lists, I did notice what seemed to be a definite increase in Magnolia State girls going greek at the University of Alabama this year. Mary Poppins' theory of why there aren't too many makes as much sense as anything to me.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

The same thing has happened here in Tennessee since we got the Hope scholarship. so many of the top students are staying in state and going to UT that a lot of kids with pretty good grades and test scores can't get in. Many of them go to our regional schools and those have grown like crazy, but the ones who want the SEC experience go elsewhere. At first, Auburn and Ole Miss were the top choices but Alabama has overtaken them recently, probably partly as a result of football's success and partly because they have substantially grown their university and marketed themselves well.
If Alabama were to get a lottery and offer free tuition for in state kids it would be interesting to see if the same situation would develop there, with 2 big SEC school in a state of that size.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

FYI From another thread:

Here is comparative data for last year -- looks very similar when you take into account that a greater number of students -- both instate and out of state -- went through rush this year. (Sorry for the less than beautiful formatting -- left column is 2011, right column is 2012)

AL 535 587
AK 0 1
AR 1 4
AZ 1 2
CA 30 56
CO 7 14
CT 10 19
DC 1 0
DE 2 2
FL 76 125
GA 134 200
HI 0 1
ID 1 4
IL 25 45
IN 5 14
KS 3 5
KY 21 32
LA 33 14
MA 7 16
MD 31 28
MI 3 4
MN 3 0
MO 14 20
MS 16 12
NC 25 38
ND 0 1
NE 2 1
NH 1 1
NJ 8 25
NV 0 1
NM 1 2
NY 13 18
OH 20 27
OK 1 4
OR 2 1
PA 12 28
SC 15 21
TN 86 87
TX 113 157
UT 0 1
VA 35 42
VT 1 0
WA 1 2
WI 2 3
WV 2 2
OTH 3 3
Old 08-21-2012, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliacurious View Post
Yeah, you're right that there aren't a whole lot of Mississippi students on the list compared to other states, but from memory of other years' bid lists, I did notice what seemed to be a definite increase in Magnolia State girls going greek at the University of Alabama this year. Mary Poppins' theory of why there aren't too many makes as much sense as anything to me.

I only knew a few Mississippi girls the entire time I was at UofA (looong time ago), but my impression of girls from MS was shaped by Sela Ward and her younger sister at the time:

All girls from Mississippi are gorgeous and accomplished.

Last edited by Hartofsec; 08-21-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliacurious View Post
Well that certainly doesn't hurt, but I remember that Bama' was getting a big increase in out-of-state students during the mediocre Mike Shula years too (2003-06). In fact, this year's increase in sorority recruitment signups was just two more than the previous (I assume) record numerical increase in 2006 - I've read the Bama' Greek Affairs Sorority Recruitment statistics online from time-to-time. I think the main thing was that Dr. Robert Witt really did a good job as President of the University recruiting, including out-of-state students. As I said earlier, he really was the Alabama greek system's best friend!!
That's interesting -- I think the OOS trend has been occuring for some time -- I didn't check any stats but noticed on a 2007 thread that someone posted:

Actually, a higher percentage of out of state recieved bids than in-state women. It's less than 1/2 a percent difference but still. [...]

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...&postcount=168
Old 08-21-2012, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

At least it's enough that it should put to rest that whole "you won't get a bid if you're from out of state" thing.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

If someone from another country (I remember reading somewhere on GC about someone from Australia or New Zealand receiving a bid somewhere....don't remember which school it was) could receive a bid, I have plenty of faith in OOS girls in general receiving bids as well.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumom View Post
FYI From another thread:

Here is comparative data for last year -- looks very similar when you take into account that a greater number of students -- both instate and out of state -- went through rush this year. (Sorry for the less than beautiful formatting -- left column is 2011, right column is 2012)

AL 535 587
AK 0 1
AR 1 4
AZ 1 2
CA 30 56
CO 7 14
CT 10 19
DC 1 0
DE 2 2
FL 76 125
GA 134 200
HI 0 1
ID 1 4
IL 25 45
IN 5 14
KS 3 5
KY 21 32
LA 33 14
MA 7 16
MD 31 28
MI 3 4
MN 3 0
MO 14 20
MS 16 12
NC 25 38
ND 0 1
NE 2 1
NH 1 1
NJ 8 25
NV 0 1
NM 1 2
NY 13 18
OH 20 27
OK 1 4
OR 2 1
PA 12 28
SC 15 21
TN 86 87
TX 113 157
UT 0 1
VA 35 42
VT 1 0
WA 1 2
WI 2 3
WV 2 2
OTH 3 3
Thanks so much, shout-out to you too, Beaumom!!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That helps, but the fact that Georgia, Florida and other states offer their students free tuition is one of the big reasons.
It's great that they get free tuition (paid for by lotteries), but that means the in-state schools now have their choice of students...thus they can be pickier about the GPAs they'll accept.
Which means they fill up their freshman classes with higher-achieving students...leaving those with lower grades (and sometimes only slightly lower) out in the cold, and forced to attend an out-of-state school unless they want to go the private school route...
There is a problem at Bama in regards to the Greek system with these various states offering free tuition. As stated many students who couldn't get accepted to their home state school due to GPA will attend Bama. Then they work really hard, make excellent grades, and transfer back to a home state school for free or cheaper tuition than UA.

Is it huge numbers? No. However it affects sorority membership. It can be hard on a chapter if 5+ key members transfer in a year. (I've seen it happen.) This is also one of the reasons I have heard why many chapters is places like GA do not allow transfer members to affiliate. There are simply too many of them.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is an oos student at Alabama. She is taking advantage of the National Merit scholarship that includes everything except meals. That includes a laptop, summer study money, and book money. She looked at Indiana, UK, Belmont, Vanderbilt and a few others. After she visited Alabama, she was sold. The people were so nice, the scholarship was the best of all the places she considered, and the campus is just gorgeous.
Some people wonder why she chose Alabama, but there are many Ole Miss alums in our community that get the appeal of a southern school. Her rush experience was near perfect, so yes, oos students are making an impact on the Greek system and can have a successful recruitment. Dr. Witt has said that the next increase in the student body would come with graduate students, and he hoped to cap undergrad enrollment at 30,000.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamama14 View Post
Dr. Witt has said that the next increase in the student body would come with graduate students, and he hoped to cap undergrad enrollment at 30,000.
I think that "cap" has been increased to 35K.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
I only knew a few Mississippi girls the entire time I was at UofA (looong time ago), but my impression of girls from MS was shaped by Sela Ward and her younger sister at the time:

All girls from Mississippi are gorgeous and accomplished.
Both fine members of Nu Beta Chapter of Chi Omega!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think that "cap" has been increased to 35K.
I'm pretty sure you are correct, ma'am.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I may be wrong, but I think most chapters at UGA do accept affiliates. Certainly, there may be some that don't, but I don't think it's the majority.

As far as the HOPE scholarship in Georgia, I'd say the majority of kids in my area who get turned away from UGA or (think they would get turned away and don't even apply) stay in state and go to a less selective school in state.

But there are some who, as someone already noted, want the SEC experience who head to Auburn, Alabama, and Ole Miss (and other schools but those seems to be the ones the kids talk about the most). Some get good scholarships but others are from families who have the resources to pay and don't mind doing it.

I'd be interested in knowing how many of the OOS students are Greek. I wouldn't be at all surprised if going Greek is considered to be an even bigger part of the experience that they are looking for than the in-state kids consider it to be.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-21-2012 at 06:46 PM.