GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,156
0 members and 1,156 guests
No Members online

Old 04-29-2010, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Signing up for recruitment!

Hi everyone! I am going to be a freshman next year at a school I won't mention due to privacy reasons, and I am really looking forward to sorority recruitment! I've already begun the recommendation letter process, (without much success yet though) and the other day recruitment registration finally became available on my school's website. I started filling out the online form, but stopped at the part where I was supposed to put in my gpa. I am aware that grades are important, but throughout high school, I will admit I was not a good student. I'm not going to make excuses for myself. My grades really hit an all time low my junior year, and of course that is the year that they want my gpa for! The thing is, I really stepped it up my senior year. I got my act together and my grades improved A LOT. So I'm pretty bummed out that those aren't the grades I'm going to be judged on.

I'm not here to ask all of you what I should do, because obviously I know that nothing can be done about my grades at this point, and I just have to live with it. But my question is, has anyone here had, or know someone who had a successful rush even though your grades weren't that great? Let me know!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

the greek life office is not asking for a cumulative gpa, only your 11th grade gpa? i have never heard of that before.

grade exceptions are rarely made at most schools. in fact, some panhellenic associations require a certain minimum gpa to enroll in recruitment. sometimes the sororities list the minimum gpa that they are looking for on their chapter websites-although i think it is fair to say that while they may accept someone with their min. gpa, they are striving to pledge women with gpas higher than that.

if your grades are truly going to be a detriment to your recruitment success, you may want to study hard and work hard to get the best grades that you can your freshman year, and wait to rush your sophomore year. freshman year,join a club that interests you, and get involved on campus-you'll have fun, make some friends, possibly meet some sorority members and make connections to your school.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 04-29-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never heard of a system only asking for Junior year grades. Make sure that you are reading the application correctly. Most organizations go by your complete high school GPA. Unfortunately, this is a hard and fast rule for most groups. For AOII, you cannot be initiated without at least a 2.5 GPA from High School, and our chapters have the option to raise that GPA to a higher level if they wish. Other NPC organizations may have their own GPA requirements (inter)nationally and also allow chapters to require higher levels on the local level. If you are lower than 2.5 cumulative for HS, I wouldn't bother trying to go through recruitment your first year. Start school and focus on having a good GPA in college. Sororities will then look at your college GPA not your HS GPA for this purpose.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-29-2010, 02:36 PM

What's the deadline for submitting the application? I hate to advise you to procrastinate, but in this case it may be to your advantage to wait and submit the application after you have your final grades.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Usually, the GPA is confirmed through the University after your final hs transcript is submitted.

What you put on your application is usually subject to validation. Wait until after graduation to fill out your application. You will know your gpa at that point. It will not hurt you with recruitment at all.

On the other hand, you DO need to be gathering people to write you recs.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

What is your cumulative and current year GPA?

Old 04-29-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel92 View Post
Hi everyone! I am going to be a freshman next year at a school I won't mention due to privacy reasons, and I am really looking forward to sorority recruitment! I've already begun the recommendation letter process, (without much success yet though) and the other day recruitment registration finally became available on my school's website. I started filling out the online form, but stopped at the part where I was supposed to put in my gpa. I am aware that grades are important, but throughout high school, I will admit I was not a good student. I'm not going to make excuses for myself. My grades really hit an all time low my junior year, and of course that is the year that they want my gpa for! The thing is, I really stepped it up my senior year. I got my act together and my grades improved A LOT. So I'm pretty bummed out that those aren't the grades I'm going to be judged on.

I'm not here to ask all of you what I should do, because obviously I know that nothing can be done about my grades at this point, and I just have to live with it. But my question is, has anyone here had, or know someone who had a successful rush even though your grades weren't that great? Let me know!
I am not sure, but I have never heard of junior year grades being used for recruitment.

Typically, it is your final cumulative GPA from HS that they will be looking at.

You put it on the form, then they will cross-check that info with your University to be sure that it is correct.

With that said, if your GPA falls below the Panhellenic's HS GPA requirement or below the GPA requirements of the individual sororities, you can expect to have a rough time. Generally speaking, a chapter is not going to make an exception to its requirements and bid someone who doesn't meet the grade requirements.

Lakers Nation.