GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,204
0 members and 1,204 guests
No Members online

Old 04-01-2010, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Democrat Hank Johnson Afraid Guam Will "Tip Over and Capsize"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsFsn8ekyhw
Old 04-02-2010, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh
Old 04-02-2010, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

i think he was speaking figuratively. 8,000 Marines and their families are being added, with all the that entails. the expected influx would near 80,000 people at the peak of construction. that's on an island 30 miles long, 4 to 12 miles wide, with an existing population of 180,000. it's going to put a strain on all existing systems: sewage, water, public utilities, et al. not to mention the ecosystem of a pretty little island.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

but if it could tip over though, you just gotta run really fast, like log rollers.

and really, who's scared of falling into refreshing, clear light blue water?

rock the boat.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHwku View Post
i think he was speaking figuratively. 8,000 Marines and their families are being added, with all the that entails. the expected influx would near 80,000 people at the peak of construction. that's on an island 30 miles long, 4 to 12 miles wide, with an existing population of 180,000. it's going to put a strain on all existing systems: sewage, water, public utilities, et al. not to mention the ecosystem of a pretty little island.
Okay, but Manhattan is 13 miles long and only 2.5 miles wide, and has over 1.6 million residents, and nearly continious construction. I think Guam will be okay. It survived changing hands during a war. Probably more than one.

Nature is extremely powerful, although beautiful. Do not equate beauty with weakness. The island will be okay.

At first I figured he meant economically, and then I realized he was serious. Did you see the look on the Marine guy's face? And then he said "we don't anticipate that happening."

Classic.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHwku View Post
rewatch the congressman's body language as the film reaches about 1:25
Old 04-02-2010, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

"We don't anticipate that happening" ... ROFL Kudos to this Admiral for keeping a straight face.

I absolutely do not think he was speaking metaphorically. He tipped his whole body to one side when he said it! He THEN went on to ask about the environmental impacts on coral reefs, etc.

He was serious!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^^ This

We do have to cut him some slack as he is not in very good health. Hepatitis C I believe. That does beg the question as to why we continue to keep Congressmen and Senators who clearly cannot meet their responsibilities. Reference: Byrd, Thurmond and others.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
^^^^ This

We do have to cut him some slack as he is not in very good health. Hepatitis C I believe. That does beg the question as to why we continue to keep Congressmen and Senators who clearly cannot meet their responsibilities. Reference: Byrd, Thurmond and others.
Because their constituents keep voting for them? With the House, it's only a two year term so the amount of time they might serve while ill is considerably shorter than for a senator. However, the veteran members get the better committee appointments, etc., so it works to a state's advantage to have long term reps.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

The medication for Hep C is a humdinger indeed.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Because their constituents keep voting for them? With the House, it's only a two year term so the amount of time they might serve while ill is considerably shorter than for a senator. However, the veteran members get the better committee appointments, etc., so it works to a state's advantage to have long term reps.
"Yeah, I know.

If the congressman has to wear a drool cup and doesn't even know where he is I do not see how this really helps his consituents. But, Byrd still brings home the bacon to WV even while not attending the senate meetings. Amazing isn't it?
Old 04-02-2010, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure I can talk, having voted for John Dingell continually since living in his district. I have heard him speak though and he's still pretty active and attends sessions, etc.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL

He sounded so serious. Bless his heart...

Old 04-02-2010, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh puhleeeeeese...he was not serious about it tipping over, he was talking about overpopulating an island and the environmental impact. Apparently it was a poor choice of words since everyone thinks that he really thinks islands are like rafts floating in the ocean. He doesn't sound senile or stupid so I am choosing to give the poor man the benefit of the doubt that he is just questioning the impact on Guam. He even later states that Guam is the only place to go for the troop build up, so I think he was just trying to go on record that the goverment considered the environmental impact on Guam before moving more troops there. As for any comparison to NYC, maybe they don't want this island to turn into a concrete jungle!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-02-2010, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I was hoping it was some kind of Lost spoiler the producers had planted.