GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,304
1 members and 2,303 guests
MSKKG

Old 02-06-2008, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone gone to convention before and not stayed at the hotel? What did you all think about it if you did?

See the thing is that... if my hubby goes I don't know if we will be able to pay for the hotel room for just the two of us. So if the Hampton is just up the way a little then I can just walk to the hotel and stuff. Also if he goes, we are driving and $21/day is pricey. The chapter would pay for convention but I don't think they should pay for the hotel and car if he is going with me.

Also... he would just be hold up in the hotel room playing video games all day long... so we would have to have a high speed connection.

One other question... if there is a chance you might not be able to make it last minute... what are the terms of getting refunded or sending someone in your place?
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-06-2008, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownGirl98 View Post
Has anyone gone to convention before and not stayed at the hotel? What did you all think about it if you did?

See the thing is that... if my hubby goes I don't know if we will be able to pay for the hotel room for just the two of us. So if the Hampton is just up the way a little then I can just walk to the hotel and stuff. Also if he goes, we are driving and $21/day is pricey. The chapter would pay for convention but I don't think they should pay for the hotel and car if he is going with me.

Also... he would just be hold up in the hotel room playing video games all day long... so we would have to have a high speed connection.

One other question... if there is a chance you might not be able to make it last minute... what are the terms of getting refunded or sending someone in your place?

As for not staying at the hotel, my big answer here is: It Depends. I know that personally, it wouldn't work for me because I end up having meetings after the last event every night, sometimes early in the morning for breakfast, etc. But, a 5 minute walk isn't very far. Ideally, he would be able to meet you at the hotel and walk you back to your hotel. I would worry about you walking back to your hotel at 10 pm, no matter what city we were in. I'll be totally honest here. I end up leaving my room by 8 am daily, might scoot upstairs for 15 minutes before lunch, 40 minutes before dinner (to dress for dinner) and then to crash at the end of the day. I'm not sure of what the benefit would be to having an SO there during Convention. Before or after? Absolutely. But during, unless you don't have an official role, seems like he would be bored outta his mind.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
As for not staying at the hotel, my big answer here is: It Depends. I know that personally, it wouldn't work for me because I end up having meetings after the last event every night, sometimes early in the morning for breakfast, etc. But, a 5 minute walk isn't very far. Ideally, he would be able to meet you at the hotel and walk you back to your hotel. I would worry about you walking back to your hotel at 10 pm, no matter what city we were in. I'll be totally honest here. I end up leaving my room by 8 am daily, might scoot upstairs for 15 minutes before lunch, 40 minutes before dinner (to dress for dinner) and then to crash at the end of the day. I'm not sure of what the benefit would be to having an SO there during Convention. Before or after? Absolutely. But during, unless you don't have an official role, seems like he would be bored outta his mind.

I concur. Even when Convention was in Atlanta and I lived close by I stayed in the hotel, because I knew what my hours would be.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownGirl98 View Post

We've been looking at other hotels as well since it is the two of us and VandalShyster is obviously not an AlphaGam. If we end up going our men can run around San Antonio doing whatever while we have Squirrel time. Since you're bringing a car that gives your husband a way to go to stuff outside the city or in different areas if he wants.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you get that rate from calling the hotel or did I not read my packet as carefully as you read yours? I didn't remember seeing a rate for the hotel.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

hotel rates

I am pretty sure the packet mentions the hotel rates, as $160+taxes for 1 or 2 people in a room, and $190+taxes for 3 or 4 people in a room. Standard rate for Marriott RiverCenter around that time of year is about $340. To actually get the Alpha Gam rate, I had to call the hotel (i.e. could not get the rate over the internet).

p.s. The Hampton I spoke about does have complimentary wireless high speed internet in the rooms. I specifically remember using it one morning before I drove to the airport.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I really just skimmed my packet for the basics "What do I owe by when?" and "When do I have to be there?" I'll be able to read it more when the kids go to the ex'es house on Friday. They've been keeping me hopping this week.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Airline schedulers are sooo stupid and/or inconsiderate.

I was looking at 1 way tickets. I found 1stops from Bham to CINCY!!! to San Antonio! Or Bham to Atlanta to San Antonio. Or Bham to DENVER! to SA!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

AGDLynn, just think about all of those frequent flyer miles for criss-crossing the country on your way to convention !!

Airlines are quite messed up in general, between their hub systems, their rates & specials, overbooking flights, etc.

no offense to those who work for the airlines ... I do recognize that individual employees work hard and do the best they can under their working conditions (like unhappy passengers, weather delays, etc.)
Old 02-11-2008, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Well... I've got good news... and I've got bad news...

Which to do want first????

Bad... I won't be able to attend convention this year... so sad.
Good News... because I found out today that I'm 11 weeks pregnant!!!! YEAH!! I've known for a while but thought I was only 7 or 8 weeks pregnant which would allow to me still fly down. BUT NOW!!! I won't be allowed to! And the doc doesn't want me to travel after 32 weeks!

So it looks like I will have to wait another two years! Maybe this next time, it will be within 2 hours of my home (HINT HINT HINT to the BIG SQUIRRELS!! Nashville, Lexington, Louisville, somewhere in OHIO!!!)
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 02-11-2008, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

(I'm hoping Nashville.)
Old 02-11-2008, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to you and your new little squirrel. I'm sad that I can't attend either
Old 02-11-2008, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I did convention at 32 weeks preggers... had to take my medical records with me, though.

Not recommended. Not recommended AT ALL. I still remember the swelling in my legs/ankles. Gained 10 pounds that week, all in water weight. Then didn't gain any more the rest of the pregnancy, cause the water weight disappeared and the baby weight came on.

YAY for you! We'll miss you! Take care of yourself!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I must be channeling Miz Cleo because I already thought you were pregnant and made an announcement. Or I may not be paying close enough attention (that happens). Congratulations!

I also may not be able to go as my aunt was diagnosed with lung cancer and I may need to stay out here with my family. I'm about a 7 hour drive from them now, and being in San Antonio might make it problematic if I need to get home for a funeral. It has already metastasized to her neck and her liver, so radiation and surgery are out. She's starting chemo this week, so we'll see what happens. I lost my father to lung cancer so I know what I'm in for, but this is my mother's family and the only person who has died is my grandmother, and she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and died a few days later so their frame of reference isn't a good one. My aunt is the glue that holds that side of the family together, so it is very hard on her six siblings, three kids, and four grandkids.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm very sorry to hear that! I was looking forward to finally meeting you!

Perhaps you'll come to Atlanta sometime!